A Prince or a Pauper?

Now that Frank McCourt has been give the go-ahead by the bankruptcy court (barring reversal upon appeal) to negotiate a new TV deal, he might just have given Ned the go-ahead and sign Prince Fielder.

As near as I can figure, I think it will take probably the same amount Albert Pujols received.

He’s 5 years younger and a 100 pounds fatter, so it’s a wash, I guess.

I’ll give Ned a few tips on how to afford to pay Prince:

• Non-tender James Loney – Savings of $7 million
  • Trade Chad Billingsley, Chris Withrow and Juan Uribe to Boston for two prospects.  Boston needs a workhorse like Bills.  They have the money to eat a little payroll – Savings of  $13 million
Eovaldi goes back into the rotation and everyone moves up.
The rotation looks like this:
  1. Kershaw
  2. Harang
  3. Lilly
  4. Eovaldi
  5. Capuano
(with Webster at the ready)  I’ve seen worse rotations.
The lineup looks like this:
  1. Gordon  SS
  2. Harriston  3B
  3. Ethier  RF
  4. Kemp  CF
  5. Fielder  1B
  6. Rivera/Sands  LF
  7. Ellis  2B
  8. Ellis/Fed-X – C
Of course, I could be high on crack while writing this, so whatever…  Take it with a grain of salt!

NOTE:  I did not mention James Loney’s arrest, because while I may say something jokingly about Hiroki Kuroda whom I think is a great person, I will not resort to smearing someones reputation based upon a report from TMZ,  and this incident does not add up to me.  I need more info – I have no opinion… yet!  Keep your mind open.

22 Responses to “A Prince or a Pauper?”

Frank had no basis for it… until today. Bud can\’t stop him now.

I want Darvish now.

Compared to the new Angels, the Dodgers seem like a AAA team. But a really great AAA team. In fact, the best dang AAA team in all of Los Angeles.

I have said for months now, sign Fielder, next years attendance will pay for it. Just do it.

3. THEdodgerdave says:

good read on bleacher report:

“It’s official: Albert Pujols has snubbed the St. Louis Cardinals for glitz, glamour and real housewives.

Signing with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is not only a huge move for the Angels, the Cardinals and Pujols himself; it’s also a major statement northbound to Chavez Ravine and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Dodgers won’t like this one bit.

As a longtime resident of both Orange and Los Angeles counties, I assure you that the Dodger faithful, management and most importantly, media outlets, wont like the fact that their step-brother 45 minutes (well, optimistically…around midnight) down the I-5 have gone out and bagged themselves a superstar.

Imagine, as impossible as it may seem, that they Yankees had a disastrous ownership crisis, and over the course of a few seasons saw fell from grace. In an offseason full of optimism regarding a rebuild surrounded by talented anchors in the bullpen and outfield, the Mets go out and sign arguably the best free agent available on the open market.

Fuggedaboudit.

That would be declaring war for baseball supremacy in New York.

The Dodgers and Angeles are no different. Let’s not forget that the whole reason behind professional sports is to garner a profit. Anaheim just spent a lot of money to make a whole lot more. They’ll see a rise in ticket sales, merchandise sales–every Angels fan will want a Pujols jersey and the sharp increase in television viewership as this blockbuster signing will surely bring a national media circus to Orange County.

It comes down to this: Dodgers, you need to sign Prince Fielder. If not for his talent, then just to save face as the dominant team in Southern California. Despite the “Los Angeles” being sloppily tagged on to the Angels’ handle, the Dodgers are LA’s team.

In an upcoming season as crucial as this one, there’s no room to allow the Angels to steal and thunder.

Get out there and make a splash! Oh yeah, and get an owner willing to make it, too. “

Just hear on the news that Loney got a DUI, ran from the cops after a hit and run and spit on the cops. This could be the right time for the Prince coming to LA.

be careful. david stern may screw that deal too

6. dogleg says:

What if Loney was traded for Adam Dunn cost of about 5 mil. extra
    Dunn at first or LF .Sands at first or LF big bat that needs to
    move back to NL Loney will provide defense at first some power
    and Paul K. can DH

7. Jae says:

Are you speaking of the Adam Dunn who hit .159 last year with 11 HR? Loney did a lot better than that.

The Sh-t is going to hit the fan with Loney soon. I just saw a news report this morning with one of the ladies Loney ran into several weeks ago. She is very credible and this appears to have been some kind of coverup by the police department. Stay tuned…..

Oh and by the way, Fielder would never hit 5th in the Dodgers lineup. That’s silly…………….

10. DodgerDude says:

I think Mark put Prince at 5th to separate the two lefties with the RH Kemp. Makes sense to me.

11. THEdodgerdave says:

when you drink to much alcohol, bad things happen to good people….

i am not going to chastise the guy for drinking to much and making some awful decisions….thank goodness no one was killed…

if anything, i am sure this has sunk in over the past month and it might be the motivation loney needs to step his game up next season….

of course, prince fielder would be nice

Dodger Dude, You would want Harriston to get more at bats then Fielder? Why not bat Ethier 2nd and Fielder 4th to separate the lefties? Still makes no sense to me. Why worry anyway, Fielders not coming. I wish we had this problem………………

After hearing Mark Cuban become such a cry baby over the nixed Chris Paul Trade, I’m now rooting for Magic Johnson.

If Loney has a (new / old ) drinking problem or concern — it would be harder to trade him for something of equal value.

I would hate to see an American League team get Fielder, mainly because of the DH possibilities that lie ahead in out years.

Loosing two power hitters to the A.L. is sad.

The two new leagues need to end this DH difference once and for all. Just go, one way or another.

Does anyone remember the reason the Dodgers got rid of Dotel after the 2010 season???

He pitched in 19 games, 18.2 innings, gave up 11 hits 7 earned runs, had 21 Ks, and 11 walks, 3 wild pitches, with an ERA of 3.38. His WHIP was 1.179.

Not that that was outstanding, but gee, the guy seems to be in great demand.

He has been in the majors for 13 seasons now. And — with about 12 teams. He also has worn 14 different numbers – uniforms.

Now the Detroit Tigers have signed him to a one year $3.5 million dollar deal.

17. DodgerDude says:

Amazing!

I have another question; this bothers me.

When there are stories and updates on the McCourts, the judge, Fox Sports, and such –

Sometimes the by line reads, ” . . . Dodgers win . . .” or “Fox is out . . .” or whatever.

There are some good guys and bad guys here:

1) McCourt and his wife

2) the Dodgers (this means presently – McCourt)

3) fans (this does not mean Dodgers) but the folks in the street or not attending games . . .

So when Jon Weisman writes: “TV rights ruling means more for Fox than it does for Dodgers”

That means – Dodgers == McCourt, not fans.

Then, if a story is written where McCourt looses a decision or a point — it would say, “Dodgers loose appeal . . .” or what ever????

Help me here . . .

19. Viva_El_Che says:

what do u guys think bout the diamond backs trading for cahill?t

Gee, Ned missed that opportunity.

21. at the end of a long day.I tried Minichill recently — tonight, in fact! And I ;m really liking it as well! I ;m not too fond of the flavor, but it ;s palatable. best replica hermes http://cheap–hermeshandbags.blogspot.com%2