$250 Million for Pujols – Are the Angels Brilliant or Insane?

Albert Pujols will be 32 years-old in January, 2012.  He allegedly is getting a 10-year, $250 million dollar deal from the Angels which will take him to age 42.  Albert is a great player, but is already showing signs of decline.  Playing in the A.L. where he can DH should help, but I can see this being a really bad deal in about 7-8 years… plus he has a full no-trade clause!

What do you think?

Good deal or dope-fiend move?

Now, I wonder what Prince Fielder will get?

I also wonder if anyone will try and sign Man-Ram?

UPDATE:  Now they have allegedly signed CJ Wilson for a pittance – 5 years and $77 mil or sonething like that.  What a deal!

Now, I find out that the Dodgers traded Dana Eveland.  There goes our season!  We are so screwed without Dana!

43 Responses to “$250 Million for Pujols – Are the Angels Brilliant or Insane?”

I am going to submit to you that since A-Rod hit 32, his decline has been steady:

The Angels are sitting pretty right now, but this deal has a lot of risk, not the least of which is injury.

I like the CJ Wilson signing better, but he is 31 and has two good years. Both moves are not without major risk.

That said – the Angels look good now.

That said – the Angels look good now.

New Update – see above

4. dodgerdave says:

INSANE

5. Glass Half Full Again says:

All I can say is it is going to be real hard to claim LA is a Dodger town after the crap the Dodgers have been forced to go thru…

• Dave says:

The Los Angeles Dodgers of Goingnowhereville can’t carry the jock of the Los Angeles Angeles of Anaheim. Dipoto, you’re a stud! Colletti, you’re a dud!!

if they win several rings in the end — no. Plus, the Yankees will take him off their hand in 5 or 6 years to make Albert their DH.

Say, where can I buy an Angel hat and a new Pujols/Angels jersey? ! ?

Hold that hat and jersey a while longer . . .

Just saw the breaking news. The Dodgers have traded Dana Eveland to the Orioles for, get this –

Jarret Martin. Now Jarret is 22 years old and was 5-12 in A ball last season.

And the Dodgers also get Tyler Henson, 23, with 6 years minor league experience. In the minors he has played: 3B, SS, LF, 2B, CF, RF, and was a DH. Of late, most games have been in the outfield.

His minor league average is .263, and in 6 seasons with 2,584 plate appearances, he has a total of 40 HRs.

Gee, would a bag of batting practice balls have been more valuable.

9. Anonymous says:

angels just put the dodgers for the ten count… Angels have just jump ahead of the dodgers: better talent, better stadium, better owner.

10. Dave says:

Solid move! Mr. Moreno is a billionaire so even if this bites him in the end, the beginning and middle of this contract should be worth the signing and will not hurt him financially. He’ll have plenty of money at the end of this contract. What’s throwing 260 million at the greatest hitter in the game going to get Mr. Moreno? How about instant respect? (except from those non-billionaires who think like non-billionaires and feel they have to criticize a billionaire who steps up to make the greatest free agent splash in years) How about a World Series Title? Angel fans will respect him and will get to see a fun team compete on a high level every game. Merry Christmas Angel fans! What an incredible present. Oh, that’s right, they also signed Wilson. What a great pitching staff! All we Dodger fans got was a lump of coal or two or three or four. . .okay, I’ll relent a bit and at least give kudos for locking up Kemp. But just think of what the Dodgers might have been able to do had they not spent money on marginal players, along with the 6 million or so that they could save by non-tendering Loney. Couldn’t they have signed Fielder and used youth to fill positions until new ownership came on board to buy/trade for better role players? I stopped attending Dodger games two years ago. I will likely attend more Angel games than Dodger games next season. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim – hmmm. . .I kind of like it. The name fits.

please magic johnson buy us today!!!

12. Dave says:

Ned, please stop!!! You’re giving me a Harang-over! I gotta go. . .I think I’m going to puke. . .blah

So Dave, you are tell me that the Dodgers are a marginal team !!!!

I would agree.

Every player, HAS to have a career season for it all to come together for the Dodgers. That is how Ned has built the team.

Best sign Fielder now. And call it a day.

I do not know just how the Angel line-up will look, but the Dodgers line-up will look like a AAA squad compared to theirs.

The Angels signing both players today is something.

Frank, you really have done wonders with the Dodgers since you bought them.

• Glass Was Half Full says:

I didn’t know it was possible to hate McCourt anymore than i do…but after today watching the Angels steal all the thunder has shown me naything is possible…..

Can we do a quick sell!……please..please…let it be Mark Cuban!

15. dodgerdave says:

GOD AWFUL

16. jerry says:

dodger stadium is way better in seating then angel stadium .. been to both..would ratter sit in dodger any day..we dont care if the have a water fall

17. Anonymous says:

For a cool $100 mil you can pay Albert, Torii, Jared, CJ and Vernons salary next season. For another $32 mil Arte can sign Haren, Santana and Abreus checks also!

Is this guy printing his own money?

How will Nolan and the Rangers respond?

19. Glass Was Half Full says:

I’m seeing Red!

20. Glass Was Half Full says:

Anyone know what Weaver’s contract is…..Wilson has to be getting Angel ace money and he is probably a #4 on this staff!

I understand that in the Freeway Series, just before the season begins — the Angels will give the Dodgers 6 runs, and then it is even money.

22. Dave says:

On the day those of us in Sol Cal find out that that OTHER L.A. team just rocked the baseball world by signing Pujols and Wilson, we get this Dodger news about Loney from TMZ. . .

Hmmm. . .if Ned had just waited and NOT signed all those marginal players, just maybe he’d be talking to Boras and trying to sign Fielder in advance of non-tendering Loney. Way to go Ned! As Kevin Malone once said, “There’s a new sheriff in town.” No Ned, not you. . .its the new GM. Unfortunately, that new GM works for the Angels.

23. THEdodgerdave says:

mark, you swine, piece of filth no good pile of mud….

..j/k, love you mark

i believe there is already a dodgerdave, so I will the THEdodgerdave..

Brilliant or Insane, I would LOVE to be an Angels fan right now….

• Dave says:

OK I’m just Dave. I need no other title. I’must a humble, pissed off Dodger fan.

BTW, make sure to click on the police report about Loney and read it. I’m no psychologist, but if the drug and alcohol tests came back negative, but he displayed what was described in the police report, doesn’t Loney seem a bit Loony? As talented as he may be, maybe, just maybe his long slumps are due to his mental make up. We seemingly have two guys that we expect big things from that don’t have the mental make up to help lead a team to a championship – Loney and Ethier. And now we have a bunch of signed, mediocre players that we HOPE will play like the Giants did in 2010. Hmmm. How often does that work out?

24. Dave says:

Attention Ned and McIdiot: The sooner you’re both gone, the sooner the third-rate L.A. Dodgers can fix their image and team. . .that’s right, third rate. Today, you bring us news of the Loony crash derby sideshow via TMZ, while the Angels add Pujols and the Lakers trade for Chris Paul. Take a back seat to the two best L.A. sports teams.

25. Jae says:

INSANE

INSANE

INSANE

WATCH AND SEE!

IDIOTS!

Now that the Judge has ruled that McCourt can negotiateand sell the TV rights along with the team, Prince may soon be aboard.

He has been trying to get in our clubhouse for years

• Mark_Timmons says:

That could be McCourt\’s parting shot!

• Dave says:

I hope so. If not, their moves are simply laughable. As Tony Jackson of ESPNLA.com stated, “. . .Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti was forced to come to these winter meetings and shop for the likes of Jerry Hairston and Aaron Harang. Could they be the pieces who put the Dodgers over the top in the still-shallow NL West next year? Who knows? But in the competition for the attention and the disposable income of Southern California baseball fans, it’s nothing short of laughable.”

As a Sol Cal guy, I can’t wait to go see Pujols in Anaheim (if I’ll be able to find tickets). Nothing makes me want to spend my money at Dodger Stadium – yet.

27. RogerCraig says:

I WOULD NOT BE SHOCKED IF THE DODGERS ENDED UP WITH A BETTER RECORD IN 2012 THAN THE ANGELS.

• Dave says:

I would. Of course, injuries do occur to stars as well as non-stars.

I predict that Ned will now call Boras or vice versa and discuss Fielder. Boras will play the Dodgers against the Rangers and in the end, Fielder will be a Ranger because they’ll come up with more money while Ned is left wondering. . . Why did I sign all those old, marginal players? Why didn’t I non-tender Loony? Why don’t we have Fielder? Why am I out of a job?

28. Jae says:

They got some old dudes that they are paying a lot of money: Pujols, Hunter, Wells, Abreu. I wonder…

Lakers pile on the Dodgers embarrassment today. Welcome CP3 :)

James has not been tendered a contract yet. We’ll find out Monday unless Prince knocks the door down before then.

31. THEdodgerdave says:

good read on bleacher report:

“It’s official: Albert Pujols has snubbed the St. Louis Cardinals for glitz, glamour and real housewives.

Signing with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is not only a huge move for the Angels, the Cardinals and Pujols himself; it’s also a major statement northbound to Chavez Ravine and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Dodgers won’t like this one bit.

As a longtime resident of both Orange and Los Angeles counties, I assure you that the Dodger faithful, management and most importantly, media outlets, wont like the fact that their step-brother 45 minutes (well, optimistically…around midnight) down the I-5 have gone out and bagged themselves a superstar.

Imagine, as impossible as it may seem, that they Yankees had a disastrous ownership crisis, and over the course of a few seasons saw fell from grace. In an offseason full of optimism regarding a rebuild surrounded by talented anchors in the bullpen and outfield, the Mets go out and sign arguably the best free agent available on the open market.

Fuggedaboudit.

That would be declaring war for baseball supremacy in New York.

The Dodgers and Angeles are no different. Let’s not forget that the whole reason behind professional sports is to garner a profit. Anaheim just spent a lot of money to make a whole lot more. They’ll see a rise in ticket sales, merchandise sales–every Angels fan will want a Pujols jersey and the sharp increase in television viewership as this blockbuster signing will surely bring a national media circus to Orange County.

It comes down to this: Dodgers, you need to sign Prince Fielder. If not for his talent, then just to save face as the dominant team in Southern California. Despite the “Los Angeles” being sloppily tagged on to the Angels’ handle, the Dodgers are LA’s team.

In an upcoming season as crucial as this one, there’s no room to allow the Angels to steal and thunder.

Get out there and make a splash! Oh yeah, and get an owner willing to make it, too. “