Me? I have no opinion, because I don’t know which Mark Ellis will show up…
This we know:
- Ellis can play Gold Glove Defense – what’s not to like about that? With Dee Gordon, the Dodgers may not even need a 2B as he can cover both spots. Shoot, he’s so fast that he can play all 4 infield positions: “Gordon backhands the ball in back of third-base, steps on the bag for out number one, throws to 2B to himself for out number two and barely beats the runner to 1B to complete the triple play.”
- Mark Ellis career OPS is better than that of Jamey Carroll though somewhat less than that of Jeff Kent.
- I know that RBI’s can be overvalued but Jamey Carroll had 17 RBI in 510 AB’s last year and Mark Ellis drove about 3 times that in few AB’s. Career stats on RBI’s are similar. Mark Ellis has more RBI’s in a down year than Jamey Carroll has in a career year… Overvalue that!
- Ellis has had a couple of decent seasons where he OSP’ed .861 and .777 (not spectacular, but solid).
- He’ll be 35 next year, so he’s smarter and older. He could have a career year… or continue the decline.
- He’s not a top of the order hitter, in my opinion. At #7 or #8, he’s not bad!
- Who knows? I’ll give you my take on this deal in two years! My hindsight is 20/20.
- Can he stay healthy?
- Can he rebound from a bad season Oakland?