McCourt to Sell Dodgers Due to Illness

… everybody was sick of him!

It turns out that Frank actually was easier to get rid of than a cockroach.    I am shocked!

But seriously folks, how can we be sure Bug Selig won’t pick another buffoon?

Mark Cuban?  It would be nice – he’d probably have to sell the Mavs, but I think there are two barriers for him:

1. Bud doesn’t want him because he’s afraid of him; and
  2. Mark Cuban likely won’t overpay for the Dodgers… and somebody else will (I could see $1.2 Billion)!
The vetting process will take some time and it might be optimistic to think a new owner will be in place by opening day.  The question is what impact this will have on the Dodgers off-season?  One thing I think will happen is that Frank will try and sign Prince Fielder, because any potential owner would love to have another “superstar” to put butts in seats and that could impact instant value.  Will the Bankruptcy Court and MLB allow it?  That’s the question.  The other question is what will Tommy say to TJ Simers now?
UPDATE:  THE LA TIMES reports that Peter O’Malley wants to again run the Dodgers and is seeking to lead an investment group.  I have three things to say about that:
  1. 73 Years Old!
  2. NO!
  3. Hell NO!

16 Responses to “McCourt to Sell Dodgers Due to Illness”

1. Dodger56 says:

No to Peter O? Really? Is it his age? Do you have any information that because he is 73, he is incompetent? Feeble? Stupid? Crooked? Does being 73 automatically disqualify someone from holding an important position? Politics aside, what about Ronald Reagan?

Is being Peter O’Malley, with his legacy, a bad thing? Let’s see – under the ownership of the O’Malleys, the Dodgers won the series in ’55, ’59, ’63, ’65, ’81 and ’88. The funny thing is that the team didn’t win the series before Walter O’Malley acquired the Dodgers and didn’t win after Peter sold them.

I guess that you, the foremost apologist for Frank McCourt in the blogosphere, would rather see Frank keep the team?

• Mark_Timmons says:

Dodger56,

If I remember correctly, you are an attorney, which certainly explains your disability. At the time Peter O\’Malley sold the Dodgers, they were in sadder shape that right now. The team infrastructure is dramatically better now than under Peter. Walter was a great man. Peter rode his daddy\’s coat tails. Do try the Revionist history on me.

If he was bad at 65, he\’s worse at 73! Yes!

I have to agree with Jae – apologist for McCourt? I have just stated the obvious, which even you evidently didn\’t like.

You confirm why I dislike attorneys. I\’d love to debate you and I do know Roberts Rules of Order as well as Rules of Court. Ever read Evidentiary Foundations by Edward J. Imwinkelried? I have…

• Dodger56 says:

You’re brilliant. The best you can do is namecalling – “you’re an attorney and therefore disabled”.

The team’s infrastructure is better now? Really? The Dodgers are last in money spent on minor leaguers. Where they once were number 1 in Latin American scouting, they have almost no presence there now. Have you read the articles about all of the long-time employees in player development and scouting fired by McCourt so that he could “afford” another mansion?

By the way, and apropos of nothing, Roberts Rules have nothing to do with practicing law, and nothing to do with debate. As to the Rules of Court – which Rules and which court? Each one has its own rules, and if you had really read them, you would know that they have mostly to do with how to file papers.

Being an attorney is an honorable profession. I went to school for 8 years and have worked very hard to get my degrees. Vitriol and insults are not only beneath you, but as far as I am concerned render your blog one that I will not visit again.

2. Jae says:

You are an idiot. I didn’t read any of what you just said. Get a life!

3. Tede51 says:

Peter O’Malley is not even half the man his father Walter O’Malley was, being a very brilliant baseball man. Peter did he run the Dodgers as a family though, but I agree 100% with Mark.

Before anyone gets all giddy, read this:

I apologize for picking on another attorney – I promise to never again match wits with someone who is unarmed.

Mr. Revisionist

Please repost all articles where said there were at least 5 ways that Frank would win this mess and where you essentially called anyone who thought that Frank would be gone an IDIOT.

If that\’s what I said post it yourself, wiseguy!

7. I'm Baaaaack says:

Great story here, http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/15975126/what-…. When I read it I thought of you Mark, and this site. This is perfect fodder for a discussion here. The piece brings up some good points that nobody else is addressing. Why the announcement at 1:07am EST? How much say does FM have in the sale? What if Bud and MLB screws the Dodgers over again?

Also, this is just awesome!

• The Bunny Rabbit inside Broxton's Soul says:

I think Mark is generally not very smart when it comes to baseball operations, but i agree with him on this. I don’t want O’Malley, but I would like Broad’s money, I don’t want Garvey group, I’d like Cuban, but I don’t think he’ll get approved. So, I’m just waiting to see who else is out there

• Mark_Timmons says:

Good to hear from you Miguel. How are you doing?

I heard Steve Garvey on MLB radio this morning. He was impressive with answers and had a wide view of Dodger ownership.

Seems it might be a game just getting to the final accepted bid.

Frank wants the most money. MLB wants the best ownership group. That will not be the same thing. Who has the final say? I hear there will be pre-approved process so as to get there sooner.