It’s Time to Play “Would You Make That Trade?”

The hot stove league is getting into full swing right about now, so what is the Dodgers biggest need?

How about a real 3B?  My number one choice plays for the Rangers and the chances of the Dodgers getting him are ZERO, so who else is there?  Two names come to mind:  Aramis Ramirez and David Wright.   That is, unless you think Juan Uribe, Casey Blake, Wilson Betemit, Kevin Kouzmanoff or Mark DeRosa is the answer.  I don’t, but a lot of teams are looking at upgrades for 3B.

Ramirez will seek a 4-5 year deal in the $14-16 million dollar a year range.  I say NO!

That leaves David Wright.  The Mets are re-building and could be enticed with a package of young players, plus taking Juan Uribe if the deal were sweetened (OK, maybe that part iu.  Hear me out:

How about Juan Uribe (salary dump), Chris Withrow, Zach Lee, Javy Guerra, Scott Van Slyke or Alfredo Silverio for David Wright?  Is that too much or too little?  How would the Mets value those players?

Wright would look good at 3B, hitting second behind Gordon and ahead of Matt Kemp.

Lineup:

1. Gordon  SS
  2. Wright  3B
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Ethier  RF
  5. Rivera  LF
  6. Loney  1B
  7. 2B
  8. C
Just some discussion “fodder.”

15 Responses to “It’s Time to Play “Would You Make That Trade?””

1. Bob Di Scala says:

Mark,

This morning’s NY Post had an article the Met’s pssibly making David Wright avavilable. I like your deal, but not to include Zach Lee. Without Lee in that package, you are still giving the Mets a 3b, a corner outfielder/1b, a CF, an SP and a closer. With the exception of Withrow, I can see each of those guys making the Mets roster next spring. That’s huge. No way on Lee, however.

2. DodgerDude says:

I would do that deal in a NY minute

Would you do a Wright trade knowing he is due $16mil in 2012 and 2013, I believe, and THEN we need to extend him to another 5 yr, $100 mil type deal?

I would if that were our only option, as I believe he’s very very good. However, would you rather offer that same 100mil+ deal for Fielder or Pujols as it saves all our our assets for another deal further down the line?

Personally? I spend that 16-20mil that would go to Wright in 2012 and 2013 for Fielder, and offer up a lot of my assets on a younger star making a little less money right now (Votto?) or, my ultimate dream, King Felix. I would offer the world to put Kersh/Felix as our Koufax/Drysdale the next 10 yrs!!

4. Jae says:

A new owner might be able to afford them all unless Bud continues to act like an idiot when picking one.

5. Anonymous says:

no terrible trade will, hurt us down the line and wright is too injury prone

6. Voldomer says:

Bills to the Mets for Wright.

Ethier to the Rays for Shields.

Sign Prince.

Rivera to RF; Sands and/or Loney in LF.

Voldy, interesting thoughts.

Shields is fine. Prince is great. Rivera is a one year deal. Sands in left.

Trade Loney for another piece or let him walk. James is a first class first-baseman, but he had real problems some years ago trying to play in the outfield (in the minors). Plus, he needs to get on with his life.

The only concern I have with this is Rivera playing the entire season in RF, and Sands in LF. One has some injury concerns and could wear down, the other is still young for an entire season of major league ball. Gwynn might see a bit of action then.

But having Wright, Shields, Prince would really help next season.

8. gonzo says:

Either, Javy, evovaldi to the white sox for beckam and john danks.

Sign fielder

Tell Loney to learn RF (Platoon loney and rivera) or see ya later

Send whoever (minus zach lee and ethan martin and sands) the mets want in prospects for wright.

Soooo

1. Gordon

2. Wright

3. Kemp

4. Fielder

5. Loney/Rivera

6. Fedex/Barajas

7. Sands

8. Beckam

9. P

1. Kershaw

2. Danks

3. Bills

4. Lilly

5. Javier Vasquez (yep javier!)

9. The Original GoNzO says:

I think that is too steep in prospects for wright Mark. Although Loney has minimal value he could be part of a trade package. I wanted Wright on the team a couple seasons ago, but he is almost 30 and has been injury prone. I think a better match for us would be ATL for Prado and Jurjens. It would fill two needs for us, 2b and SP. As for 3B I think our best 3B prospect is moonlighting as a pitcher. I think Martin should be given 1 more season to see if he can handle pitching and if he is subpar I make the switch. I honestly think that Martin gives us more value a 3B than as a RP.

Oh, and that other gonzo wasn’t me.

10. Anonymous says:

so who would be are closer..if you gave away javy Guerra,,

11. wrisp says:

No to dealing Zach Lee.

12. Chuckles says:

That’s cleared my thgouhts. Thanks for contributing.