Eight More Years of The Beast?

Matt Kemp used to be the Bison, but I never really embraced that name, maybe in part due to the stigma attached to Bison Dele (OK, that’s a stretch).  I just never liked the name “The Bison.”

So now that Matt Kemp has evolved into “The Beast,”  let’s just call him what he has become – BEAST!

Now, we hear that the Dodgers and Matt Kemp are near a $160 mil/8 year deal.  8 more years of the Beast?

That’s a no brainer.  I’m all in.

23 Responses to “Eight More Years of The Beast?”

1. youbetterthinkagain says:

You are tearing it up in here Mark, way to go!

Happy Thanksgiving all (4 of you)!

• RogerCraig says:

You should change your name to- I don’t think at all.

• Mark_Timmons says:

I\’m not sure who you are, but there are lots of blogs where people post. Just because people aren\’t posting doesn\’t mean that the blog is not growing. 38% growth in readership THIS year.

Oh…. and by the way – I still blog, but it\’s not very important to me these days, which is why I thought Jared deserved to have his own blog to grow on his own merits.

Which bitter old man are you anyway?

2. GoNzO says:

I think that contract is perfect for Kemp and the Dodgers. By the time it is up he should be close to wrapping it all up. 20 mil is a lot of $$$ but I think that the amount for kemp is a bargain compared to today’s salaries in MLB.

3. Glen says:

This is a true homer deal for the Dodgers. Because Kemp would have been able to garner far more on the open market next year. I think he is staying in LA because he is comfortable there and he feels that new ownership will add the pieces necessary to make a run at the World Series. Go Dodgers.

4. Jae says:

I just heard the Dodgers also signed Mark Ellis – He has the potential to be a lot better than Carroll but could also crash and burn.

5. RogerCraig says:

Ellis is a typical Ned signing – 34 years old and pay him too much.

You know, Ellis could be just what Jae or Roger said. The bloggers will be slamming Ned for the deal, but it might end up well if he can have a career year (yeah, right).

The jury is out on this deal – I won\’t even predict what will happen.

When the Dodgers signed Carroll the bloggers went crazy, but that turned out OK. Maybe Ned is due to catch some lightning in a bottle.

7. chucky says:

4 Either
    5 Rivera
    6 Uribe
    7 M. Ellis
    8 AJ Ellis

8. Wally says:

Good job Mark. I think your blog is very informative and I read it daily.

I guess you gotta take some bitter with the sweet. Locking up Kemp is sweet. Mark Ellis, kind of on the sour side. Could have probably gotten Kelly Johnson for not a whole lot more. Oh well, could have been worse like the Uribe and Guerrier contracts.

Now we need a #2 starter. Take care of that before wasting money on the scrub catchers out there.

Ellis won’t make or break this team. These types of signings are the nice, fill in the lineup or fill out the team. That’s it.

Next season will be made by whether we sign CJ Wilson, or Prince Fielder, or trade for Votto, or something of that nature.

Nobody in their right mind is counting on Ellis. He’s a solid player. He definitely won’t hurt. He may help a little when he’s asked to be a role player and not a #3 hitter.

There’s really no reason to judge a signing of Ellis vs Hill vs. Johnson vs. Dejesus/Sellers, etc.

10. chucky says:

sorry to say but other than maybe a 5th started (if we sign kuroda) and the signing of a relief pitcher and a vet catcher this is our team

how many wins with tgis team next year?

• Mark_Timmons says:

The Cards didn\’t make any big splashes in free agency last year and look what happened.

• Wally says:

When did they get Berkman? He turned out to be their most valuable player. Your point is well founded as I don’t believe acquiring Berkman was considered a big splash. He would certainly look good in Dodger blue playing 1B for us. Oh Well!!!

• Roger Dodger says:

Wally, that depends . . . I am from Texas, and have watched Berkman play with the Astros. Also, he is from my general area. I knew what he could do and mean for the Redbirds. And he did it. I am/was not surprised.

The Dodgers could have used him and finished with a much better record last season if he where in Blue.

• Wally says:

I hear you Roger. I was not surprised either. I even mentioned on the Inside The Dodgers blog that he would be worth a shot for the Dodgers.

11. Jae says:

But the year before last, everyone thought he was through.

The Dodgers have now entered never never land . . .

No longer with a bunch of younger players who might be stars one day. The day has arrived, and the turf has changed.

With the Kemp signing for all that money — yes, the Dodgers have him, but the train now leaving the station just got expensive.

Let us say the club signs Kershaw to a similar contract over the next season or two. Another 15 or 18 or 20 million a season. Fine, one of the best pitchers in all of baseball.

But — let us say that Andre Ethier, after surgery now, puts it together and hits .345, with 30 HRs, 110 RBIs and is a very key hitter and fielder in the league.
    And the Dodgers and fans want him as well. Another 15 or 18 to 20 million dollar contract.

But that is 50 to 60 million for 3 players. An unlimited funds owner might be able to pay that and still field a good team. This would be the Yankees of the N.L. West.

Or, no matter what Ethier does, trade him for younger pieces and hope they can make an impact.

See, sometimes when you get what you hoped for — it just might not work out. Now think if Martin had really developed. If Loney had really developed. If Broxton had really developed. If . . . breaking up is hard to do . . . but I do not see a $200,000,000 payroll happening.

13. RogerCraig says:

$200 million payrolls generally do not work well anyway.

14. Emerson-Lake says:

Of course a future without Matt Kemp is unthinkable, so getting it done is a weight off everyone’s back–thank God he loves it in LA. Not wild about Ellis sign, but it’s good to have some clarity at 2nd after last year’s messy crowd–not that they did a bad job, but I think that an everyday veteran at the position will help Gordon settle in, and Ellis is supposed to have an excellent glove. Two years should be enough time for the farm system to get someone ready, and wouldn’t it be great if it turned out to be Alex Castellanos, who has a big bat?