What Will You Do?

Right here, right now, the LosAngeles Dodgers, who were long ago declared dead and buried (by many, including me), are the hottest teamk in baseball and stand poised to pull within one game of .500 with their Ace on the hill today.   It would take an incredible run, but it is possible that by next weekend the streaking Dodgers could overtake the Giants and be within 3-5 games of the Diamondbacks.  I am not predicting that – just pointing out possibilities.

Let’s say that a week from Monday, as the Dodgers start a 5 game series with the D-Backs, that they are 3 games out of first place (just close your eyes and pretend).  If the Dodgers were to sweep that series, they would be tied for first place and would have 6 more games with the Diamondbacks, 3 with the Giants, 3 with the Pirates and 3 with the Padres.  The odds are long, but this is baseball and anything is possible.  Remember 1988?

This 2011 version of the Dodgers has went from being under-performing laughingstocks to junk yard dogs, who “just win, Baby.”

My question is this:  If the unthinkable happens and the Dodgers get back in the race, are you going to support them?

Are you a Dodger fan or a McCourt hater?

Frank McCourt is not a Dodger – he just owns them.  He will never be in the Dodger Hall-of-Fame.  Walter O’Malley was the only Dodger owner worthy of that.

Frank McCourt is not a Dodger, but Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw and Dee Gordon are, and may someday be in the Dodger Hall-of-Fame.

Frank McCourt is not a Dodger, but the re-surgent James Loney and Andre Ethier are, as are Justin Sellers, Aaron Miles and Jamey Carroll.

Frank McCourt is not a Dodger, but the Dodger pitchers are, and have climbed to 5th in the NL in pitching (6th in MLB) and since Jeff Pentland left they have climbed to 8th in the NL in hitting after being next to last.

Frank McCourt is not a Dodger, but I am!

Always was, always will be!

I’ll relent and be at the Ravine if the above happens.

Will you?

Dodger fans:  If that happens, you owe to these 2011 Dodgers to pack the house and rock the place to it’s foundations!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L6VVEPZRtY

22 Responses to “What Will You Do?”

Since I live in Utah I really don’t need to ask myself that but if we never lose again I’ll be here jumping out of my shoes if we have a repeat of the little engine that could.

PS Mark I have to give it to you in your blaming the season on Loney. We really are a whole different team with James being James.

Been away for a couple of weeks . . .

Mark’s question: — a Dodger fan or a McCourt hater –

I am both. Simple. And I think about 2.2 million others are as well.

What is this China connection to this deal???

Clayton was Clayton thought 6 today — then fell apart. Might hurt his Cy votes. Those votes look at things like this.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Welcome Back.

It will hurt his chances. He would have had 18 wins – 2 ahead of the pack. Now it;s still 17 with 4 more starts…

Well, the winning streak just ended,

Like Roger I’m a Dodger fan and a McCourt hater.

But I’m actually more than a McCourt hater. I simply think that his ownership of this team would be a long term disaster. So if he remains, I would have to think long and hard about whether or not I even paid attention to baseball anymore. Baseball and the Dodgers aren’t my life, so I could stick them in a corner somewhere if I had to. I can’t see myself rooting for another team, but I can see myself occupying my time with other things. Actually, that might turn out to be a good thing. Whatever the case, it’s all very emotional, so I don’t think I can cross that bridge until I get to it.

It seems that Mattingly is trying very hard to instill confidence in James Loney by having him bunt two days in a row with no outs and runners on first and second, with Matt Kemp hitting behind him. How must Loney feel about his manager taking the bat out of his hands two days in a row because he doesn’t trust him to hit in that situation, probably for fear that he will hit into a double play? Since everyone with a fraction of a brain in their head knows that a Loney bunt would be followed by a Matt Kemp intentional walk, it’s pretty clear that Mattingly has more confidence that Juan Rivera will drive in the runs against a righthanded pitcher.

As far as I’m concerned, all that Mattingly has done is tell Loney that he’s not a run producer, and perhaps has also thrown him out of sync at time when he’s been consistently hitting the ball hard. I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised to see Loney cool off. Also, if this is how Mattingly intends to use Loney, then the latter needs to be traded, and Dodgers need to acquire a power hitting first baseman that Mattingly won’t dare use to lay down sacrifice bunts. Maybe he could then give that job to Andre Ethier.

• Dodger66 says:

I have tried not to be to critical of Mattingly, but I just can’t support the wisdom of bunting Loney in those situations with all the other circumstances involved. Not a vote of confidence for Loney from his manager, and it is probably the first period of time this season Loney has earned some. Even if the Dodgers make it to the world series I would not go to a game at Dodger stadium. I would travel to see them though.

Mark, I think many that do come in here and post — are (and have been) suggesting that you approach the situation from a different point of view.

Forget the taking sides and attitude adjustment styles — they do not seem to work here.

Roger,

I am on the side of the Dodgers. I am just one of the few people who point out that McCourt COULD continue to own the team.

I know that my point of view is not popular. The Anti-McCourt Club has gotten their information from the media who is as intent on running him out of town as the media were in getting Obama elected.

You should know that if I believe something I won\’t back down. Frank is no saint, but does anyone really know if he has done anything much different than other owners?

I\’m all in if Mark Cuban is the Dodgers owner, but it\’s not happening.

Here is where you have to make a stand.

I am a Dodger fan.

I am not a McCourt fan, but I am not a hater either.

I am the lone voice crying out in the wilderness of McCourt haters.

• Dodger66 says:

Mark I am not a McCourt hater. I just don’t like him as the owner of the Dodgers. McCourt can’t afford to own the Dodgers, and If McCourt is allowed his TV contract he will be fulsh with cash for some amount of time, but in the end it won’t change the fact that he can’t afford to own the Dodgers.

Mark, here is the deal.

I believe that many Dodger “fans” are indeed McCourt haters. They (we) just want the guy gone.

But if he does hang on to the Dodgers . . . I believe some of the Dodger fans will stat to follow another team or two as a way of getting their baseball fix.

I believe some Dodger fans will just not follow baseball as closely, but turn to some other things in their lives.

I believe that some of the Dodger star players will look to move on to other teams as soon as they can. If I am Kemp, I walk. If I am Kershaw, I seek to move as soon as I can. As pointed out before (Badger?) guys from Okl & TX do not have deep love for the LA area.

I believe that the wonderful Dodger Stadium will continue to have empty seats.

If McCourt stays around, many of us will indeed change our following of this great tradition.

I believe that if the Dodgers start winning all will be forgotten.

However, they have to win!

Oh, and they need one more big hitter.

… McCourt or not!

The Dodgers lost 89 games in back to back years in 1986 ansd 1987 and then won it all in 1988.

Sure Frank McCourt has made mistakes, but the media has blown them so out of proportion that it is tantamount to inciting a riot.

They say McCourt took $100 million out of the Dodgers in 6 years. Would it shock you to know that other teams owners took out more?

They say nothing about the hundreds of millions put back into the team.

They say nothing about the organization itself.

Assuming that players want out is not reality.

There’s a 50-50 chance McCourt will be gone. GOOD!

But, it’s not the end of the world if he’s not.

The media did everything in their power to get Obama elected. How did that work out?

This too shall pass!

I’m beginning to feel guilty. As was suggested by another blogger (and it wasn’t Mark), I must be truly mean-spirited. How could I turn a deaf ear to that “lone voice crying out in the wilderness”?

And Roger, well said.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately that I need to re-prioritize my life. I really believe I’ve been spending too much valuable time staying up late on the east coast watching Dodger games on the west coast, and then adding to that by blogging on matters over which I have no control or influence at all.

No matter who the owner is, I have too many things going on, and too many responsibilities to be spending so much time thinking about the Dodgers. I never did drugs, and never drank, but I’m starting to realize that the Dodgers have become an addiction that I need to confront. But it won’t require a 12-step program. I quit smoking cold turkey 40 years ago (had my last cigarette on 6/30/71). Maybe I need to exercise a little of the same will power, and devote less time to the Dodgers.

That said, I think this will be the last time, at least for a while, that I post. Maybe occasionally sometime in the future, maybe not. In the event I decide to quit blogging altogether, let me wish everyone (and that includes you Mark) a happy and productive life, and apologize to anyone I may have annoyed with any of my posts. I’ll remain a Dodger fan, but probably with less emphasis on the “fanatic” part.

• Dodger66 says:

Brooklyn I hope you can find a place between fanatic and fan that allows you to continue post on here. I enjoy your point of view, and will miss your thoughtfull positions on topics brought up on this blog.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

I know exactly what you feel, which is why I have pulled away to a large degree from this blog.

Good Luck!

Mark tries hard to bring the George Bush “you’re with me or your against me” mentality. It’s cute. Mark also last year predicted on numerous occasions that Blake DeWitt would give us 15-20 hr from the 2b spot. That wasn’t so cute.

Either way, Mark is a great writer because he’s very much like TJ Simers; he gets people angry enough to want to comment, even if just to oppose his view. I usually laugh when I read his stuff, because I seriously doubt he believes all of it. I think if he had his way, McCourt would be gone. If we all had our way, McCourt would be gone.

More importantly, I would go to a game if we’re right in the race. I currently don’t go now (well, I’m also out of the country for the moment), because I don’t want to give McCourt a dime of my money. I’d only go if the tix were paid for, and food was free (parking too). But my love for the Dodgers SURPASSES my hate for McCourt, and if we’re in late Sept 1 game out, or 1 game up, I will go.

It would send a bad message to Kemp, Kersh, etc that Dodger fans wont even show up in late Sept for a meaningful game vs SF or AZ, and THAT, and not McCourt’s empty pockets, will drive those players to look elsewhere during free agency.

Bobby, interesting take on Mark.

Do you feel it ok when Mark calls people “idiot” or “stupid” or some other word/s when they disagree with him, and he takes them on personally!!!

I do not read ALL of the other Dodger fan boards or media places, but I do not think many of them have the owner of the place, or the host — take other posters on.

Mark tries to do it for give and take and to push buttons and see responses, but some times it comes across as cheap and de-meaning.

Good discussion if great, if it stays as discussion and not grab-ass time and put-downs.

Mark, other owners might take money from their teams — that I do not know. But it seems that from the key sports writers and professional writers around the Dodgers — many or most of them have called for Frankie boy to sell and leave. That is not normal talk.

Fans have given voice and parades and demonstrations, and more for Frank to sell and leave.

• Bobby says:

No, I don’t think, if we’re all having an intelligent discussion, that someone should resort to name calling, etc, if he can’t give a counter argument well enough.

However, it’s a message board. Anyone who is that sensitive to take personally what someone calls him on a message board may not want to continue posting on message boards! Plus, I already know I’m an idiot, so anyone who tells me so on a board isn’t telling me anything new :)

I’m still pissed we blew that game yesterday. I think Kersh has a better chance at Cy Young than Kemp does at MVP, and that win for him was crucial. Team-wise, that win would have helped inch us closer to SF.

12. Jae says:

Get over yourselves already!

Bobby, I think that the voters of the CY Award will look at every inning pitched in Sept. Not just the good outings but any bad innings.

Yesterday, the 7th will not go down as a CY inning. As I remember, Clayton kept getting two strikes on hitters and could not put them away. Foul balls, and more foul balls. If he would have shut them down in the 7th, most likely the Dodger would have won and another win for the big guy.

14. Millablue says:

Geez, Kershaw gets a no-decision, a possible W if Miles doesn’t make a crappy throw, 10 K’s and he lost his Cy Young bid? Man, that’s pretty harsh.

As far as the other stuff going on here, I have to agree Mark seems to enjoy pushing buttons to get a response rather than woo us with incredible journalism. I don’t blog a lot, but I have to admit it really only takes one major turnoff for me to move on to other things.

McCourt needs to go. Not sure I need Mark or any other human to support that opinion. It’s 110% necessary and inevitable. To say otherwise is nothing less than antagonizing.

I’m back. Chico is as beautiful as I remember it.

Looking at all the new threads, this appears to be the only one with any traction, so I’ll just respond here….

While it is true that Mark likes to push buttons, I think he is serious in his support of Frank. I think he likes the guy. I think he and Frank are cut from the same cloth… two stubborn old goats that just don’t like to lose.

12 games out? Sure, miracles do happen. I don’t believe this will. What are the odds? Two things have to happen to make up 12 games in three weeks, obviously one team has to get hot, but another team has to have a total collapse. While the Dodgers have been hot, they haven’t gained a game on Arizona.

Anybody read Shaiken’s article on the bid to buy the Dodgers? Frankie the Mule just refuses to deal with reality, and that is, too many fans want him gone for him to be successful if he stays. So, you can have him Mark. I too am both a Dodger fan and a McCourt “hater”, though I wouldn’t use that word. I think he has proven what I have said all along – he is BAD for the Dodgers. If he stays owner, I move on. It’s just baseball, and the Dodgers are, Frankly, not the same with that grease-ball as owner.