Mamby Pamby Land

To all of you that drank TJ Simers Kool Aid, all I can say is that since that article Andre Ethier has shut your mouths!

The Grand Slam was the punctuation point!  He can definitely play with a chip on his shoulder.

He has shut me up too.  I’m not going to call him soft (for a while).

His knee has robbed him of his power <tears running down face>?  Ha!

Welcome to Mamby Pamby Land, you Jackwagons!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFy0x_Uixo

17 Responses to “Mamby Pamby Land”

Oh brother.

You are the one who keeps calling Ethier soft, the rest of us just wondered what the article was all about. Maybe we have Simers to thank for lighting a fire. All players have ups and downs. Ethier is no exception.

And the dbacks just keep on winning. They are on a pace to win 91 games. Still believe in miracles? The miracle I want to see is the Dodgers pass the gints.

2. MillaBlue says:

Actually, before the article broke out Ethier pretty much sucked. So he is either sucking up the pain or has been motivated by the process. If it is the latter I am with Simers. These guys are getting paid enough to motivate themselves. His recent success only confuses the issue further IMHO.

3. Idaho al says:

Mark you are the one who has called Either soft. Most of us have not called him soft. I am still troubled by what I see. His homerun power is down, why? Even the homerun he hit last night just cleared the fence. I still think there is something wrong with Either. I just do not know what it is. Is it his knee or his attitude?

Colletti and Conte still must go. I believe Santana just hit his 20th home run. Robinson is doing well in Seattle. However, I think Robinson is going to have a difficult time in Seattle because they have three good outfielders now.

It’s not like Ethier has sucked. His HR power is down, which could easily be explained by a knee issue, but his avg. this year is the same as his career avg.. Last year he hit .290 WRISP, this year he is hitting .282 WRISP.

Look at his splits – he has never hit LH pitching all that well, (neither does Ryan Howard) but at the end of the year Andre has produced every year he has been here. He has been an All Star two years in a row.

If the Dodgers don’t want him, there are plenty of teams out there that would love to have the guy. So, by all means……….

FREE ANDRE!!!!

• MillaBlue says:

Badger, he IS NOT clutch. Mark, what is his BA with RISP this year? Career?

Fact is, he is our 3 hitter. And he bats more like an average 5 hitter at best.

He is a below average outfielder. And he apparently has a bad attitude, which is the worst thing he can bring to the table.

We can do better for 10 million next season and beyond..

Um…. Milla…. he is hitting .282 with RISP. That is why on the above post I wrote “Last year he hit .290 WRISP, this year he is hitting .282 WRISP.” He also has a .377 OBP WRISP this year.

Granted, that isn’t lighting it up. But, it isn’t vanilla either.

As for getting better for $10 million – maybe. But who is that going to be? And, who is going to pay for it? You see, Andre will get his in arbitration, and whoever else we get to replace him making that kinda dough will get it in a multi-year contract. Who out there is going to sign a multi-year deal with Not-so Jedi and Frankie McDonkey? IF we get new ownership… yeah, maybe. But as it stands now, all we can hope for is some kind of deal in arbitration – or better yet, a trade for some young inexpensive talent.

• MillaBlue says:

Badger, I like your posts. You are a knowledgeable fan and I respect you, But a .282 BA with RISP out of your 3 hitter is not good brother. It just isn’t.

Why is your handle Badger? I live in Madison.

MIllaBlue, I lived in NW Wisconsin for 7 years. Up in Polk County, 75 miles from Minneapolis. I loved it up there for about 4-5 months out of the year. Madison rocks.

Yeah, .282 is not great, I’ll give you that. But it doesn’t stink. And the .377 OBP in that situation is actually quite good. Sure, I would like to see a lot better out of our 3 hole, and one would think Ethier would actually GET better as he enters his prime years, but, it just ain’t happnin’. I still think he would likely improve if he were somewhere else. And like you mentioned, 10 million for what he does is too much cabbage for the Dodgers. I wish he wasn’t getting that kind of money, but, he does. Guys who hit close to .300 with a 2+ WAR and successive All Star appearances make a lot of dough.

OK, off to California. You guys figure this stuff out and I’ll check in when I get back.

Andre will be back next year, but I still think he\’s soft.

Andre plays well with a chip on his shoulder, but without it, he\’s not as good.

Well, you should be able to relate to that Mark. You write better with a chip on your shoulder. Doh!

I hope you are right about him being back next year. The Dodgers need more .290 + WAR .800 OPS guys, not less.

Off to the gym. I have to get in shape today. I am headin’ to California to visit with grandkid.

Badger,

Actually, I don\’t write at all. I have a trained monkey who throws darts at the alphebet. That results in more cogent thoughts than when I write it myself.

P.S. The monkey did this too.

8. Dodger66 says:

Mark It might be a little premature for you to chest pump over one home run from Ethier. He could have a problem with his knee and still knock one out occasionally. With not much more to play for this year the only question is how serious is his knee problem? If it’s going to require surgery why not do it now.

9. Anonymous says:

You need to stop this Kool Aid stuff. Because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean they’re mindlessly following someone else’s lead. In fact, it appears that quite a few posters on this site are not drinking your Kool Aid.

Jared wrote a few posts back that “Ethier gets 3 hits a day after his knee injury comes to light. How many people will overreact to a single game’s worth of production?” Well it’s been more than a single game’s worth of production, but it’s still an overreaction. I for one believe that Ethier should have the surgery now, simply because I am of the opinion that doing so is best for him and the Dodgers over the long haul. The Dodgers’ chances of winning the division this year are remote at best, and both they and Ethier would be best served if he were to have the surgery now and get a head start on his rehab and conditioning in preparation for next year. That simple logic seems to escape you. Ethier could hit .500 with 10 bombs for the remainder of the season, and I would still tell you that he should have had the surgery now. This year for the Dodgers is all about next year, when, if he’s not traded, Andre Ethier could be a very important player in the Dodgers lineup. The more lead time he has in preparing for next year, the better off he will be, and by association so will the Dodgers be better off.

Of course, you might make the argument that a strong finish this year will build his confidence going into next year. And I would counter that with the argument that all Ethier needs going into next year is to be healthy, and in top physical condition.

And you really need to stop jumping to conclusions based on short samples. Ethier getting hot doesn’t prove he can play with a chip on his shoulder, nor does playing badly over a stretch of time prove that he’s soft. Players get hot and cold all the time, or haven’t you noticed. Too many fans, you included, come to conclusions about a player’s make-up and character based on what they read, not on what they know. Since just about all of us have very little real contact with these players, coming to conclusions about their character is for all practical purposes, baseless.

That was me. Just go my computer back after it was sent out for repairs. Apparenly, the browser didn’t remember my name, and I didn’t notice.

11. RogerCraig says:

Why do you feel that Mark wants you to agree? He is just giving his opinion like you are. He thinks you are drinking Simers Kool Aid – and we all know TJ pours it out all the time. He may be right, or you may be or maybe the truth is somewhere in between. I have been here long enough to know that this is tongue-in-cheek and not mean spirited like some of your responses.

“Why do you feel that Mark wants you to agree?” Please tell me where I said that.

“mean spirited”. Very interesting.

And I’m trying to figure out what Kool Aid T.J. is pouring out. No one disputed his account of anyone’s comments. As far as I was concerned his report was based on comments by the parties involved, comments which as I noted, have yet to be disputed.

Speaking of T.J. here’s his column today.

OK. That’s enough for me. Got lots to do today. Maybe I should try to fit in some time to search for a therapist to help me deal with my anger. Need to find a remedy for all that mean-spiritedness.