Just Wait Until Next Year…

Yeah, that’s the ticket!

What should we expect next season?

Who the hell knows?

The end!

OK, we do have a few clues.  Some big money comes off the books, namely about $58.5 million or half of the Dodgers payroll.  At least $12 million will be given back in the form of a raise for Clayton Kershaw, but that still leaves $46 million to spend.

1. The way I see it is that James Loney, who hits the ball hardier than anyone on batting practice, but can’t jump out of a boat and hit water during a game, is gone.  He will be non-tendered.   Nice guy. Good fielder.  Choke artist.
  2. I used to call Andre Ethier Mr. Softee.  For a while it looked like I was wrong.  I wasn’t!  He is another choke artist.  He’ll be traded.  Hopefully!  He is the weakest, softest #3 hitter in the game.
  3. Casey Blake will be traded this year.  He’s gone.  If not, he’s gone next year.  Whewwww!
  4. Hiroki Kuroda will be 37 and you don’t pay those guys 12 million.   $6 mil maybe maybe… not $12.  Someone will pay him more.  He’s gone.
  5. Rubby?  Back in  2013.  Forgetaboutit!
  6. Ted Lilly could be slipped through waivers to the RedSox or Yankees.  Let’s hope he throws a shutout next start.
  7. Jamey Carroll has been great.  Will he play for $750,00 a year?  If not, he gone.
  8. Rivera?  Will anyone pay him more?  40-60 at best!

Like it or not, he’s what the lineup is in 2012:

• 1B – Jerry Sands (and I am disturbed by his current paltry .269 BA)
  • 2B – Ivan De Jesus, Jr. or Aaron Miles
  • SS – Dee Gordon
  • 3B – Juan Uribe
  • LF – Tony Gwynn, Jr.
  • CF – Matt Kemp
  • RF – Free Agent – They have to sign a big bat
  • C – AJ Ellis

So, that leaves the rotation with Kershaw and Billingsley to go with with Ely, Withrow, Eovadi and Webster approaching ready… or not.  Yikes!

The point I make is that the Dodgers could have $40+ million available to sign Free Agents.  If McCourt keeps the team, that will mean  he was successful in obtaining a TV deal and could easily do that.  The thing is:  Frank wants to put butts back in seats and knows he has to bring in a few more good players.  The 2012 Free Agent Class is not awesome – lots of aging journeymen, plus Pujols.

Memo to Frank:  Give $180 mil/6 years to Albert Pujols, sign Michael Cuddyer and you’ll have instant offense.  He would also have more butts in seats.  Signing the soon to be 33 Pujols to a six-year deal is wrought with risk and might be a desperate move – sounds like one Frank might make!  Starting pitching?  Well, that’s another issue for another day….

This wouldn’t be a bad (although very RH) lineup:

1. Gordon  SS
  2. Miles  2B (hey he’s a .300 hitter)
  3. Pujols  1B
  4. Kemp  CF
  5. Cuddyer  RF
  6. Sands  LF
  7. Uribe 3B
  8. Ellis  C

That’s assuming Gordon will hit.

P.S. The Huffington Post picked up on my post about  a new Dodger Stadium.

24 Responses to “Just Wait Until Next Year…”

Frank giving $180XL to Pujols?

Just when I thought maybe you had come to your senses you lay this on us.

OK, let’s go over this one more time. Frank McCourt is a sleazy, lying live-off-other-people’s-money scumbag who is so far in debt he will never see the financial light of day until he sells the team. If by some miracle, and it would be a nasty in-the-fan’s-face miracle, he maintains control of the team to believe he will actually spend the money on free agents is sheer stupidity. Pujols, and every other class free agent will have nothing to do with Frank McCourt.

And, the fans out west have spoken. As long as this greaseball is owner of the team, there will be no support.

The only answer to the Dodgers rebounding is for Frank to jump ship. The sooner the gooder.

2. Idaho al says:

Well Mark, you are right on a few issuses, not all. Put Miles at 3rd base. Uribe should be gone. Gordon at ss. Ivan De Jesus, Jr. at 2nd base. Keep Carrol is case De Jesus does not make it. I will go with Pujols at first. I cannot believe he would sign with the Dodgers if McCourt is still the owner. I would trade Either for a good catcher. Ellis is a good back up. Get rid of the other two catchers. Keep Sands, Kemp and Gwynn in the outfield. Gwynn should be the lead off batter, not Gordon. Go with the young pitchers. Ely is not a starter. I would sign Kuroda to a one year contract. Our current bullpen is pretty good right now. We have some pitchers coming back next year from injuries, who may be pretty good.

However, your assuming McCourt is still the owner. Clean house. Get rid of McCourt, Colletti and Mattingly. Then we may be on the way to recovery. Nothing will happen until the top is sent packing. We need an owner who knows the Dodger history and has some money. Get a manager who has some Dodger ties (Davey Lopes). Look what he has done for Kemp.

3. Jae says:

Long ago we were told that Frank might not leave. So far, Mark has been right. McCourt is a douchebag though!

Yeah Jae, and long before that, we were told something was very fishy about McCourt and as long as a borrower was owner there would be issues. And after we read about the divorce being filed, we were told this thing would drag out for a long long time and it would affect the on field play of the Dodgers. Some here, early McCourt supporters, said McCourt would prevail and the Dodgers would compete for a World Championship. Those same supporters are now telling us Pujols could play for the Dodgers. Let’s be serious here. Or not, your choice.

Let me axe you something, if you were a prime Free Agent, would you come play for McCourt?

• The Glass Is Now Empty says:

Heck no!…McCourt must go…otherwise this team will not get any better….

Badger..I am on board with you but afraid this thing will drag out way too long….

5. SpokaneBob says:

I’ve been a die hard Dodger fan since 1958. I have NEVER been or felt so disinterested in this team …Ever! I am not even watching the games and I pay for the extra innings package. I just want Mc Court gone. We need a new beginning.

6. Ned says:

delusional

7. Ty says:

Yup, we are having giant money issues thanks to McCourt and you want us to sign the biggest FA since ARod. Yup, makes perfect sense.

And while we’re signing Pujols, why not sign Fielder too? Maybe Pujols could move back to 3B.

OK, now let’s get serious. First of all, it’s too early to be projecting Dodger lineups for next year. Things could change radically between now and then. And to think that Pujols, Fielder, or any other free agent who can command a kings ransom on the open market would choose the Dodgers is insanity. Yes money speaks, but not that loudly. Even if McCourt offered the money, players like Pujols, Fielder and their like are already multi-millionaires, and probably see a potential mess in LA. It’s not likely a place they would consider if McDirt is the owner. There’s plenty of money elsewhere, and also peace of mind.

As for me, I don’t trust McCourt as far as I can throw him (which isn’t very far). Even if he spent money after getting a firm grip on the Dodgers, I would constantly worry that the team was always a step away from chaos. Unless he miraculously changes, there will be no epiphany with McCourt. If he gains control, we can expect it will be business as usual with the Dodgers, and that Frank will continue to use the team as his own personal ATM. Why would he have any other motivation, since he will perceive that he got away with murder, and can continue doing so. If he’s to learn any lesson from this at all, he needs to have his face rubbed in the mud (i.e., lose the team).

McCourt has shown his colors. He has proven he is not worthy of being owner of the Dodgers. He just doesn’t get it. His ego is casting such a large shadow it is preventing him from seeing any light. The jury of fans has decided. Everywhere I go in the blogosphere people are saying the same things….. they are done with the Dodgers as long as McCourt is owner. You think the players and their agents don’t know that? Of course they do.

McCourt must go. And I still believe he will. MLB will not allow this ownership to continue. Our courts are obviously messed up, we see evidence of that every day, but this will be decided by the people not the courts. If McCourt stays on as owner, the Dodgers will playing in front of sparse crowds and will soon become the Kansas City Royals. MLB cannot, and will not allow that to happen to a flagship franchise.

To sum it all up, if you think we suck now just wait til next season!

Pujols won’t come to LA. Period.End of conversation. The reason would be: He wants to win. Anybody knows this franchise is in no position to win. In fact the free agent splash we should expect is in the lines of a Juan Uribe type player who is just pleased to get a multli year deal and be over paid. I think back of the way Ned paraded Uribe around the stadium like he was a big time acquisition. Think logically if you had waited for your big free agent period to get paid and play where ever you wanted would you go somewhere that the ownership situation was a mess, likely will have only 1 legitimate pitcher, 1 big bat, and a bunch of stiffs? I would want to be the piece that helps a team take the next step. Not a guy who helped a team IMPROVE to 10 games under .500

As I was watching Cleveland play Boston last night I couldn’t help but wonder if the Dodgers should just blow the whole thing up. Lets face it is going to be a few years anyway. Follow me on this: In 2007 the Cleveland Indians were a 1 game from the World Series. The lost to Boston in the ALCS. They blew up the team trading away Victor Martinez, CC, Cliff Lee (who wasn’t on the active roster for the playoffs but in the organization), traded Casey Blake (sigh). And what they got in return was Justin Masterson , Matt LaPorta, and Carlos Santana just to name a few. But the point is they reloaded and are back in the thick of things. With Ned stating recently that the cupboards were empty and we needed to replenish the system, would it be worth moving Ethier, Kemp, Bills, and (hold your breath) Kershaw if it meant a plethora of talent to be ready by 2014? This is small market mentality I know and “we are LA” but Cleveland, Oakland, KC and Minnesota aren’t bankrupt. WE ARE.
    I don’t know if I would do it. Especially with Kershaw who I see as a once in a lifetime talent. But the reality is we will not be able to afford Kemp and I just don’t think Ethier will stay so why not get something more than a couple of draft picks for them? It is something Ned, Frank, Bud or whoever is calling the shots should think about unless this circus surrounding the team is over with!

Romo,

The problem with blowing the team up is that that is only a strategy that would be put into motion by Frank McCourt. A new, deep pocketed owner would hold onto Kemp, Kershaw, etc., and then spend the money to provide the missing pieces via free agency, trades, etc. He would also put lots of money into the farm system to build a base for the future.

Your last sentence contains the answer. “this circus [needs to be] over with!”

13. Dodger66 says:

for those that wanted to see Trayvon Robison play in the bigs this year it will happen any day now as he has been called up by the Mariners.

14. RogerCraig says:

Robinson does not have a chance in Seattle. He is a flyball hitter and Seattle is where flyball hitters go to die. Too bad!

There are a lot of small parks in the American League. He will play half the games away from Seattle. That alone gives him a 50-50 chance. Make hay on the road Trayvon.

Balls don’t exactly fly out of Dodger Stadium either.

17. Gonzo says:

No FA’s will want to come to LA until everything is settled. Although the idea of having a fire sale is intriguing, what will those prospects do in the Dodgers system that really doesn’t invest in development as much as other organizations. I say just stay put.

Mark I saw that post on the Huffington Post. Wasn’t that the piece I wrote and got a lot of shite for from the other posters?

Huffington Post?

19. xinwei says:

Hi, i believe that i saw you visited my web site so i came to ?隆茫return the favor?隆脌.Im trying to discover issues to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

20. After examining a couple of of the weblog posts in your web site now, and I truly like your means of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website record and will likely be checking again soon. Pls check out my site as effectively and let me know what you think.