HALL OF FAME BROADCASTER VIN SCULLY TO RETURN FOR 63rd SEASON

LOS ANGELES – Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully, widely considered the best broadcaster in sports history, will return to the broadcast booth for an unprecedented 63nd season in 2012, he announced during this evening’s Dodger telecast. Scully will again call all Dodger home games and select road games.

“I don’t want to make a big deal out of it, you and I have been friends for a long time,” Scully told the audience on PRIME TICKET. “But after a lot of soul searching and a few prayers, we’ve decided that we will come back with the Dodgers for next year. God’s been awfully good to me, allowing me to do the things I love to do. I asked him one more year at least and he said okay.”

Scully’s 62 years of service constitute the longest tenure of any broadcaster in sports history. While he handles all nine innings of the team’s television broadcasts on PRIME TICKET and KCAL 9, the first three innings of each of his games are also simulcast on KABC 790 AM.

He began his professional baseball broadcasting career in 1950 with the Brooklyn Dodgers and was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982. During his unequaled career, he has gone on to call three perfect games, 19 no-hitters, 25 World Series and 12 All-Star Games.  He was also at the microphone for Kirk Gibson’s miraculous Game 1 homer in the 1988 World Series, Hank Aaron’s record-setting 715th home run, Barry Bonds’ record-breaking 71st, 72nd and 73rd home runs and the scoreless-inning streaks’ of Dodger greats Don Drysdale and Orel Hershiser.

When Scully first began broadcasting, the Dodgers had yet to win a single World Series. Three years later, at the age of 25, he became the youngest person to ever broadcast a World Series game and in 1955, he had his most memorable moment behind the microphone, as he called the Dodgers’ first and only championship in Brooklyn.

The following season, Scully once again found himself in the enviable position of calling what he would later say was the greatest individual performance he had seen — Don Larsen’s perfect game in the World Series.

10 Responses to “HALL OF FAME BROADCASTER VIN SCULLY TO RETURN FOR 63rd SEASON”

1. RogerCraig says:

Hummm…. Evidently he doesn’t think as badly about Frank as some of you do…

uhh, ya that’s the reason he came back.

oh well, next year, god willing, we have scully, kershaw, and kemp to look forward to.

that is, unless, you also want to include uribe, hawksworth, and eugenio velez to that group?

Vin Scully coming back has absolutely nothing to do with Frank McCourt. He’s his own man, and doesn’t need McCourt’s approval for anything he does. He’s made a decision to do something he loves for at least another year. Nothing more, nothing less. Why should he let the continued presence of the McCourt virus dictate what he does with his life?

I’m sure Scully has thoughts about the McCourt situation, and I’m sure he’s going to keep them private, unless circumstances absolutely force him to take sides. And I’m certain he still has a close relationship with Peter O’Malley, and we know what the latter thinks about McCourt.

• Dodger66 says:

I would think if anything the whole situation with McCourt might be more reason for him to want to come back. He might think he brings a little class and some connection to the old Dodgers that is sorley missing these days.

Well said Brooklyn.

Scully is no dope. He can see the empty seats, he can read what long time fans of the Dodgers think. His staying has nothing to do with McCourt and everything to do with who Vin Scully is as a man.

5. kaynla says:

Vin Scully, I love YOU.
    You made millions of people so happy last night, and that’s what you have been doing for 63 years…. not a bad legacy. God bless you.

6. RogerCraig says:

Brooklyn & Badger,

Maybe you should considering being like the man Vin.

How so Roger?

8. RogerCraig says:

Love the team regardless of the man who owns it.

I am just not built that way. If I see the man running things is running things over a cliff, I have to stand up and say something.

Maybe it’s my background. I learned a long time ago that to be a part of, or to support bad ideas and corruption just “because” leads to good people suffering. The only way to stop unethical behavior is to expose it, to stand up to it and refuse to be a part of it.

So, you go ahead Roger. Give Frank McCourt your money. I cannot. I will not.