Do You Believe in Miracles?

The 2011 Dodgers are 7 games under .500 and are 11 games out of first place.  They also have won 5 in a row and have 18 more games with division rivals, mostly the Giants and D-Backs.  Of those 18 games, 10 are at home (of the 8 away games, 3 are at Petco).  Do you believe in miracles?  It’s possible – not very probable!  But, don’t ever forget – this is baseball!  Anything can happen….

Let me give you some reasons to believe:

• The Dodgers sent a message that slacking won’t be tolerated when the DFA’d Fat Boy Navarro;
  • Matt Kemp who leads the Dodgers with 100 RBI’s has more RBI’s than the #2 AND #3 RBI leaders on the team (Loney and Ethier) – that could change as baseball is a game of streaks;
  • With James Loney hitting (actually hitting), the Dodgers are a totally different team;
  • Juan Rivera protects Matt Kemp very well;
  • The streaky Andre Ethier is due for a hot streak;
  • Dee Gordon is due back (hopefully the hittless wonder will be demoted);
  • Streaky Chad is due for a good month; and
  • The pitching has been solid with Kershaw, Lilly and Kuroda all pitching well, as is the bullpen.

I’m not saying it will happen.  I’m not saying to hope for it, but it is OK to do that!

I am just saying it is possible.   I think that the magic number is 8-9 games out by Septemeber 1st!

It wouldn’t be the strangest thing to ever happen.

At any rate, it’s great to talk about what happens on the field – it seems a long time coming!

25 Responses to “Do You Believe in Miracles?”

1. Lever says:

Check out Tony Jackson here: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/6902905/los-angeles-dodgers-played-abilities

I think he nailed it! The Dodgers are not as bad as the gloom and doomers and Negative Nellies say. Yes, they underperformed, but I still believe that they are better than the Giants and Arizona talent wise.

Most here just like to crack on McCourt and I am not saying he should not have it coming, but the team assembled was not as bad as they played and they just might balance it out.

“The streaky Andre Ethier is due for a hot streak”

Read the above by T.J. Simers and you’re not likely to think that Andre Ethier is due for a hot streak. Whether you like Simers, despise Simers, or are neutral to Simers, his article above raises some serious questions about Ned Colletti, and the Dodgers medical staff in general. It might even say something about McCourt if all the Dodgers are doing is keeping an injured player in the lineup to deflate his value.

My opinion about Ethier just took a 180 degree turn. How can he be expected to perform as we expect while playing on a bum knee. That’s got to have a debilitating effect on his power and every other aspect of his hitting. And apparently his slump after returning from his finger injury last year wasn’t the total reason for his post injury decline. It’s now reported that his knee problems began last year.

And in light of this information, any talk of Ethier being soft now falls into the category of pure rubbish. He’s clearly the victim of an incompetent medical staff and management, and probably an ownership that doesn’t give a damn about its personnel. In fact, if “incometent” is an incorrect characterization of the medical staff and management, then their real underlying motivation has to be seriously questioned.

Even if the Dodgers were to offer him a long term deal, why would Ethier sign and subject himself to a long term relationship with a dysfunctional organization? And the same goes for Kemp and any other Dodger that will soon be free to choose where they play. Forget all the financial issues. This organization is dysfunctional down to its core, and players throughout baseball and their agents are certainly aware of it. The only remedy is new ownership, unless of course, you believe in the tooth fairy.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

I think what Slimers published today is pure rubbish and a total copout and I am surprised that you drink his Kool Aid!

Athletes play. Pujols played a while back knowing he\’d need surgery. Chase Utley has played when he could barely walk. Remember Kirk Gibson in the 1988 World Series. Players play. Writers like Slimers whine!

If you are a gamer, you play hurt. Players who played with Cal Ripkin said he could barely walk some days. But he played. It appears that the material for Slimers column came from Mr. Softee himself. I have even less respect for him now and it appears that he has decided he can\’t play. The Dodgers should shut him down and put Rivera in RF because he\’s not Mr. Softee.

Uh, not so sure your examples are good ones there buddy. You might want to a little research on things before you leap out there with them.

Ethier has played in 127 games… all but 5. Utley has played in 78. And you might to check on how many games Kirk Gibson played in that ’88 Series. Players play?

I like Simers. He gets people talking about topics and he is a damn good writer.

“The Dodgers are not as bad as the gloom and doomers and Negative Nellies say.”

By that comment may I assume you are talking about me and a few others around here? That isn’t very nice Lever. How would you like it if we called you and others who support McCourt unrealistic sycophants? I would never do that……..

“but I still believe that they are better than the Giants and Arizona talent wise.”

We will see about that. Better teams win – right? Arizona is +23 in run differential, the Dodgers are -3. So far, the Giants pitching is better, and the Arizona offense is MUCH better. They have 29 games left, Dodgers have 30. If Arizona plays .500 the rest of the way the Dodgers have to win 26 of the remaining 30 to catch them.

Do I believe in miracles? Sure. Do I believe the Dodgers are going to win the West? No.

I don’t drink anyone’s Kool Aid, and that includes yours.

Ethier’s underperformance could easily be explained by a bad knee. Since this was an injury he had last year, most likely he should have had surgery during the offseason. But that not being the case, it’s pretty clear that once he began to tank this year, it should have become crystal clear that the best course of action would have been to take care of the matter then. Given the fast recovery times from arthroscopic surgery, it’s likely that Ethier would have been out no more than 4-6 weeks, or maybe a little longer. Since it was apparent early on that the Dodgers weren’t going anywhere with him, what would have been wrong with shutting him down temporarily to get him at his best permanently after his return? Fact is, that would have been the smart thing to do. And while Ethier was sidelined it would have given the Dodgers the opportunity to give Jerry Sands and/or Trayvon Robinson some time to get their feet wet at the big league level. In a season where the Dodgers were clearly going nowhere, what would have been wrong with that?

Albert Pujols. I don’t remember the particulars of that case, but I do not recall that he was playing in extreme pain. And, of course, after the season the Cardinals opted for him to have surgery and get rid of the problem, not a questionable rehab program. And if memory serves, I believe that Utley didn’t perform particularly well while he was in extreme pain. In fact, looking at his overall stats this year, he is clearly not having a typical Chase Utley year. He has played in only 78 games, with a .278 AVG., 9 HR, and 39 RBI. Kirk Gibson had one admirable at bat after his injury, and then never played another inning for the remainder of the World Series. Do you think he could have toughed it out playing everyday during the regular season? Not likely.

If I’m drinking any Kool Aid it’s probably just the regular stuff, and not the stuff laced with hallucinogens that you’re drinking.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

Here’s the latest from someone with credibility:

TJ Slimers is a writer for a rag that should be called the National Enquirer.

What you read from him was BS. Pure drivel, designed to incite people like you that hate Frank!

Like I said: DON’T DRINK SLIMERS KOOL AID!

And Badger, with Utley, it’s just not this year, it been the past three years!

Ethier said he can’t hit for power with a bad knee. OK. I’ll buy that. Just don’t talk to Slimers. That shows me you are felony stupid!

Simers is a reporter for the Los Angeles Times. He has a job to do and he did it. He interviewed Ethier and asked him what was wrong. You just don’t like the answer Andre gave. You evidently think he is lying. You must think he is not hurt, that it is all in his head. You said the same thing about Jonathan Broxton and you were wrong then. I think you are wrong again. We will know more after the season, but if it were me Andre would have been shut down with arthroscopic surgery a while back.

I also think that what Gonzo and MSTI said about Andre is probably right. Other than his potential trade value I don’t know how important he is to the Dodgers. They can battle to stay out of last place with a replacement player there. He does seem something of a prima dona so I am fine with him leaving. I am not fine with Jed Mediocrelletti handling the concern. Jed is proving himself to be something of a donkey in most deals with which he is involved.

• Dodger66 says:

I would not of thought it possible to have any less faith in Ned, but after this I do. At some point will a grown up take over here and handle the situation. Take Ethier out and get his knee fixed.

5. Idaho al says:

Brooklyn, I agree with you. Either has always been my favorite player. I have been down on him latey. A bad knee explains everything. I wondered why his home run totals were down. I have no confidence in the Dodger medical staff. Just look at Jason Schmidt signing.

We probably will never know, but I do not trust the Dodger medical staff. I do not like what Colletti had to say about Either. Even if he thought the was faking it, you do not say it publically.

Poor Andre[sad violin music] feel real bad for you[wuss] but if you are in such pain don’t use a fish-hack to write your excuse for missing school er games to the skipper.
    That’d be great if they shut you down and sent you home on extended off-season wouldn’t it.I’d rather them let you ride the pine from here on out and you can wince when the camera pans you in the dugout
    It’s hankie time Boo hoo hoo

Mike P. of MikeSciosciasTragicIllnes.com nailed it:

“Either way, I’ve long taken the opinion (unpopular among casual fans) that Ethier is not someone I want to see the team invest tens of millions of dollars into, since he’s nearly 30, less than a star-level hitter who can’t hit lefties, doesn’t play outstanding defense, and is a bit too vocal with his criticisms – particularly since Kemp and Clayton Kershaw both need to be taken care of, despite the uncertain ownership situation. Unfortunately, none of this is doing much to help his trade value.”

8. Gonzo says:

This is the last straw for Ethier with the organization. This chump walks around with some sort of entitlement because of two above average years? This guy is me first all the way and has been since his days at ASU. A lot of guys on the team didn’t like him, thats a fact. I mean even Pat Murphy sent him away for a year because he couldn’t stand him.

The guy still has trade value and SHOULD get traded this offseason. What he wants is a pity party that he isn’t going to receive by me. In my opinion, he’s suffering from Lebronitis (thinking he’s bigger than the team) while I don’t follow or believe Simers 95% of the time it bugs me that “Dre” went to the media before talking to his manager(evenhthough he sucks). I am officially driving the get rid of Andrea E wagon.

Like Idaho Al, I don’t trust the Dodgers medical staff. How is it that Carlos Monasterios had Tommy John surgery months after injuring his elbow? And we already know what a wonderful job the medical staff did in evaluating Jason Schmidt.

And I’ll take Ethier for his word the first time. Any backpedaling on his initial remarks is probably designed to head off controversy. He probably wasn’t thinking about that when he made his initial, and probably most truthful remarks. Anything coming from Mattingly or anyone else in Dodger management smacks of hypocrisy at best.

Also, given the season the Dodgers are having, the only thing that makes sense is for Andre to have surgery as early as possible to give him the maximum time necessary for rehabilitation, and to give him a head start on his off-season conditioning. And if Andre insists upon playing, somebody needs to smack a little sense into him. As we all know, the players don’t always know what’s best for them.

And if you believe that Andre insisted on playing through his injury, then you should be praising him for his toughness, not his softness.

And let’s get it clear. Under present ownership this is a dysfunctional organization. Yes, I’m sure there are pockets of sanity within the organization, but for the most part it’s a disaster.

Notwithstanding anything else said, this from MSTI makes perfect sense.

“It’s also worth noting that his knee is apparently such a problem that he considered surgery last winter, has felt “cracking and crunching” in the knee just when walking, and required three injections of synthetic fluid in the knee a few weeks ago. All of which seems to suggest that not only is the knee largely responsible for his lousy season, it’s something that isn’t going to get better unless he goes under the knife – and if that’s the case, I’m wondering what the point is in delaying it until after the season while trying to continue to play and potentially making it worse.”

Even if Simers is completely offbase (and I don’t believe he is), the above speaks volumes about the credibility of the Dodger medical staff in particular and management in general. The team is going nowhere, so what’s the point in allowing Ethier to continue to playing? Any value he has to this team is going forward, not now during a losing season. Why not get a prolonged look at Jerry Sands? And before he was traded, Trayvon Robinson could have been considered.

Simers article starts off with the following:

“The All-Star right fielder’s second-half slump is easily explained by a painful right knee that will require off-season surgery. So why do the Dodgers keep playing him in this lost cause of a season?”

That says one and asks another. What it says is Andre Ethier’s slump is “easily explained.” He is playing on a knee that will require off season surgery. OK. There are many who play on with injuries that are dealt with off season, but most of them don’t necessarily fall in production the way Andre has. If it so bad it is affecting his play, he needs to say something. Maybe he has. Afterall, his career is at stake.

The second thing that opening statement says is a question that never really gets answered – why do the Dodgers keep playing him if his injury prevents him from helping the team? And if it is because the Dodgers want him to have bad numbers and Jed actually said what it is that was reported he said, Jed needs to just shut the f up about it. Yeah, I don’t doubt he and management feel that way when it comes to arbitration players, but you don’t come out and admit it. That is just stupidity. We already know Jed has plenty of that to last the rest of the season.

What is the point of playing Ethier if he is hurt? Legitimate question. Look what that process has done to other players on the Dodgers.

I don’t think asking questions at this point is any way off base. I am actually glad somebody in the media is doing it.

And now I read on the Times site that Ethier is “backing off” his statements to Simers.

Will we ever know what is really going on in that clubhouse. What a freak show.

12. DodgerDude says:

Mark,

This is why I don’t come here often. You have two bitter old men who have an agenda and dominate the conversation with their Elephant Shit. Elephants have hundreds of pounds of it, and so do these guys. You got rid of that Lawpig or whatever he was called but you really need to get rid of these guys too. I don’t like McCourt either, but ENOUGH ALREADY. They NEVER stop. What ES! They spout it over and over… so predictable. So boring!

• Jae says:

All I see is that they jump to conclusions because they want to, not because the facts support their positions. They have no clue, Dude. What do they know about Carlos Monasterios? ES is right! Their wives probably beat them and this is where they can just feel like a man. Cut them some slack.

I know Monasterious went to Liceo Rafael Arebalo Gonzalez High School. I also know he had TJ surgery is irrelevant to any conversation about this year’s Dodgers.

Hows that?

And you bring so much light to the conversation Dude.

You don’t like the arguments being made, bring some cogent points to the debate. If you can’t do that, then just crawl back into the hole you currently hide in.

And the guy you so ignorantly refer to was Lawdog, a very bright man and a long time Dodger fan who got fed up with the nonsense around here. He brought something to the table. You? Not so much.

14. RogerCraig says:

Lawdog may have been a fine gentleman, but he was way off-the-wall and not very informed. That is the nicest way I can say it.

OK, that\’s it! Disagree but don\’t be disagreeable. I have never edited anyone except for profanity.

I\’ll address all this soon in a post.

Gonzo has it right. Andre is not beloved by many of his teammates. Fact is, they (like Mattingly) don\’t think he\’s really hurt.

Watch him run. He is running and playing better D this year than last.

I called him Mr. Softee 4 years ago. Look at his career and you will see he has \”journeyman\” written all over him.

Yeah, well he started it dad.

I think Ethier will be fine once he puts on a different uniform. I don’t doubt his knee is bothering him. Maybe he can run straight ahead, but has trouble torquing. We will know more this off season. I too don’t think he wants to be here. I don’t blame him.

I don’t see him as a journeyman. Maybe, but I think he is a gifted hitter who works hard on his game. He wants to be something special and I think he will get there. Just not gonna happen for him in Dodger Blue. Won’t be the first time somebody left and did great. Won’t be the last time either.

17. kaynla says:

I detest Simers. He hates the Dodgers, knew he was going to “stir it up” and didn’t care. Not too smart of ‘Dre to say ANYTHING to the fool.

I agree with your take, Mark. Sometimes I think, how does Jamey Carroll stay so healthy? Well, I’ll bet he doesn’t. He just plays hurt; he’s no crybaby. I don’t hold this against Andre, however. Communication does not seem to be the strong point of the clubhouse.

And, while we’re on crybabies, I didn’t care much for Mattingly’s “I’m so wounded” routine. Everyone try to get back into good humor, okay.

Two things – the first is Andre Ethier HAS been playing, so why is anyone saying he is not willing to play hurt?

The second thing is, why detest Simers? Just because he writes with a contrarian pov? He is an entertainer, his stuff is often very funny. He doesn’t hate the Dodgers. That’s goofy. Don’t take it so seriously – he doesn’t.