The 2011 Dodgers are 7 games under .500 and are 11 games out of first place. They also have won 5 in a row and have 18 more games with division rivals, mostly the Giants and D-Backs. Of those 18 games, 10 are at home (of the 8 away games, 3 are at Petco). Do you believe in miracles? It’s possible – not very probable! But, don’t ever forget – this is baseball! Anything can happen….
Let me give you some reasons to believe:
- The Dodgers sent a message that slacking won’t be tolerated when the DFA’d Fat Boy Navarro;
- Matt Kemp who leads the Dodgers with 100 RBI’s has more RBI’s than the #2 AND #3 RBI leaders on the team (Loney and Ethier) – that could change as baseball is a game of streaks;
- With James Loney hitting (actually hitting), the Dodgers are a totally different team;
- Juan Rivera protects Matt Kemp very well;
- The streaky Andre Ethier is due for a hot streak;
- Dee Gordon is due back (hopefully the hittless wonder will be demoted);
- Streaky Chad is due for a good month; and
- The pitching has been solid with Kershaw, Lilly and Kuroda all pitching well, as is the bullpen.
I’m not saying it will happen. I’m not saying to hope for it, but it is OK to do that!
I am just saying it is possible. I think that the magic number is 8-9 games out by Septemeber 1st!
It wouldn’t be the strangest thing to ever happen.
At any rate, it’s great to talk about what happens on the field – it seems a long time coming!