Does Anyone Love Andre Ethier?

A few years ago, I was repeatedly berated for calling Andre Ethier “soft.”  I backed off for a while when he had some clutch hits, but let’s face the truth:  He is soft.  He’s a singles hitter who can’t hit lefties.  It is what it is.  You can’t pay a soft player what he is going to want.

But someone might.   Someone might love Andre Ethier, and maybe he would be a great fit in Boston (with his buddy, Dustin) or NY or Chicago.  In LA, he’s not all that.  The same is true of Jon Broxton – you don’t pay a set-up man $7 mil a year (assuming he can ever come back).

In the time that Jon Garland has been on the DL, Rubby has shown that he’s a pitcher cut from the same ilk as one Clayton Kershaw.

Their are some major teams with holes in their rotations.  If healthy, Jon Garland and Hiroki Kuroda could have new homes in a heartbeat.   With no long-term deal (like Lilly), the Yankees and others would be interested.

If some teams have serious injuries, players like Casey Blake and Rafael Furcal (if healthy and that’s a big if) could also draw interest.  The Reds would love to have a healthy Raffy.    Even Marcus Thames has valve to an AL team.  I love Jamey Carroll, but if a team was making a run, give him a chance.

There may or may not be a market for all these players but if Ned is smart, he is exploring it.

• Andre Ethier
  • Jon Broxton
  • Jon Garland
  • Hirokji Kuroda
  • Casey Blake
  • Rafael Furcal
  • Jamie Carroll
  • Marcus Thames

Some, or all of these players could have a new home before the year is over, and the Dodgers could get a boatload of prospects, while allowing Frankie to make payroll.  It could happen.

I can tell you that if I were in charge, I would run this lineup out every day:

1. Gordon  SS
  2. Robinson  CF
  3. Kemp  RF
  4. Loney  1B
  5. Sands  LF
  6. Uribe  3B
  7. Barajas  C
  8. De Jesus  2B

Rotation:

1. Kershaw
  2. Billingsley
  3. Lilly
  4. De La Rosa
  5. Ely

Let’s find out who can play.  The Dodgers have a plethora of prospects who are soon to be ready, including Webster, Eovaldi, Tolleson and others.  Stock the farm with some more prospects.  Throw in the towel for 2011 – I mean, when a team loses it’s TOP 4 closers to the DL, you know the Baseball Gods are against you.  Don’t fight it.  Let’s prepare for the future – with or without Frank McCourt.

While we are on the subject, the more time that passes, the more likely he stays.  I’m just sayin’…

This is a bottom line business and bottom line:  Frank has made payroll EVERY TIME.  I’m just sayin’… most aren’t listening!

11 Responses to “Does Anyone Love Andre Ethier?”

I’m on board with this. I would add Uribe to that list.

Ethier’s three year splits have him hitting .222 against lefties. Over the same period Ryan Howard is hitting .230 against lefties. The production difference of course doesn’t even really need to be posted, you can guess. The point is, if Ethier was hitting .222 with a bunch of homers and rbi’s, he could be forgiven this weakness.

You know where Ethier would fix that? Boston. With his ability to go the other way, he could bounce several off that silly wall and maybe win a batting title over there. The Sox have Drew in RF….. might as well help them beat the Yankees and ship Andre there for a couple of prospects. He isn’t going to stay in L.A. anyway and is due around $11 mil in arbitration…. send him packing.

The rest of those guys probably won’t draw a lot of interest… maybe Kuroda, but he has already said he isn’t interested in going anywhere but L.A. – though I suppose that could change. Broxton would get interest if he checks out physically.

Other than the older guys we obviously keep, there isn’t a whole lot on this team.

2. ernest reyes says:

I don’t disagree with you that trading some players may be what we need to do, but I think one name on your list needs to be removed. Not because he is a great veteran player with the kind of toughness you want in a pitcher, but because he, likely, has a no trade clause. Kuroda will not be traded no matter how much interest. He’s a loyalty type of player who, from what I’ve read, didn’t bother fielding offers from any other team this past winter. I don’t really believe he wants to play anywhere else. In other words, I think it’s LA or Japan for him.

3. Gonzo says:

Ethier to the cards for rasmus. ethier batting in the 3 hole in front of Pujols and Holliday would pay dividens IMO. I’ve had a man crush on rasmus since ST this year. That kid is a player.

I suggested exploring a trade for Ethier in an earlier post today. I also believe that I read somewhere that Kuroda has a no trade clause. So trading him might be difficult, if not impossible. Although, maybe he would be open to a trade to a west coast team. Broxton would probably not bring back much unless he suddenly gets very healthy, and also because he would be a rental, since he’s a free agent after this season. And if they can bring back prospects, I have no problem trading any of the others you suggest. And I’m sure there are additional others that could be added to the list.

Bottom line, I think the Dodgers would be best served by holding onto their young talent, and bringing in some more by being sellers this year.

Colby Rasmus is a player I’ve liked in the past. Good power, great arm, and lots of speed. He strikes out more than I would like, but he is young and talented. Right now, looking at his stats he doesn’t appear to be having a very good year. But that might actually be fortunate, because if he was having a great year there is no way he would even be available. Given his contentious relationship with Tony LaRussa, maybe a change in scenery would do him good. Last year the lefthanded hitting Rasmus hit about the same vs. righties and lefties. He’s certainly worth thinking about.

6. Wally says:

If they’re smart, they will trade Loney. He sucks against lefties and righties. Sure wish they could unload Uribe and Guerrier and those ill advised contracts.

I have no problem doing any of this.

Plus shedding some contracts now could help land a Fielder or Pujols or a trade for Wright (or God willing, Longoria).

8. SpokaneBob says:

Watching Dee Gordon last night was the most exciting thing I’ve seen all year.

I am fine with Marks line up. Lets see who can establish themselves and prepare for next year.

9. I don’t see Ethier as wanting to be a Dodger…just my gut feeling…and my gut is getting bigger every day!

10. Dusto says:

I love the idea, but its not going to happen.

11. Bootz says:

If this was facebook, I would “like” this post.