The Next Ten Days

I felt compelled to post two days in a row, because I believe that the next ten days will be critical in the History of the Dodgers.  A lot can happen in the next ten days.  It might not all happen, but most of it has a good chance of occurring.  Here’s what I see in the crystal ball:

• Rafael Furcal and Casey Blake will return from the DL with Jerry Sands being sent back to AAA and Tony Gwynn, Jr. being DFA’ed.
  • Jamey Carroll or Casey Blake will see time in LF.
  • If the Dodger offensive woes continue, Jeff Pentland will be fired.  Who takes his place?  I have no clue.
  • Josh Lindblom will be called up to the Show.
  • And here’s the big one:  Frank McCourt will file suit against MLB (and maybe Jamie) and seek a restraining order to take back control of the Dodgers.  I have no clue who will win…

P.S. Chin Lung Hu is again available…  The Mets removed him from the 40 man roster after he was 1 for twenty-something.

24 Responses to “The Next Ten Days”

Interesting takes.

I don’t think it’s Pentland’s fault. This is just a weak lineup. Who could teach them something they haven’t already heard? As I mentioned on the other thread, Kemp and Ethier are the only real threats, and Kemp is going fishing again, making him less dangerous. If I were pitching against this team, I wouldn’t give those two anything to hit, and bear down on the rest of this lineup.

Sure bring up Windblown. But, is pitching our problem? If it were me, while Blake and Furcal were down, I would have brought up Robinson in left field, put Sands at first base, IDJ at second base and rolled the dice. But, it’s always easy to manage from your recliner. I am especially good at it as most of you know.

I think you are right about McCourt, and who really knows what the outcome will be. Law and justice do not necessarily co-exist in our system so, this greaseball could actually win. He has a case. As ugly as it is, as much as everyone involved wants him gone, he does have a p.o.v.. If I were to bet, I would bet against him. He is on the wrong side of the argument, and you know me Mark, I am always on the side of justice for the common man. The Dodger fans deserve better than this. McCourt has shown who he really is, and in doing so, is showing that he has no business running the Los Angeles Dodgers. I hope the courts will rule in favor of the Dodgers and their fans and send this clown packing.

Hey we can start up the Hu watch again and send Castro packin. Now that could be the season’s entertainment.

Well as I’ve been saying for a few days now I’m going to the park tonight. (Tickets purchased over a month ago) Randy Wolf is on the hill for the Brewers. If we can’t hit Randy Wolf then it probably doesn’t matter which Randy is on the mound. They could pitch Randy Jackson and still shut us out.

It’s sad to think that this could be my last trip to the park for a very long time. I was watching a financial planner on TV yesterday and he was showing ways to save money during these hard economic times. If I brown bag my lunch, drive the speed limit, Buy the cheap but still good pet food, buy only the starter package of cable TV (and purchase the .99 movies from NetFlix), Use one of Marks water filtering systems instead of buying bottled water and not attend Dodger games/park for $15/ and eat their high priced food/snacks (not included in his plan) – Take that money and invest in a secure savings account or safe 401K plan, I could save $200,000 over the course of 20 years. He was very informative for people with no ability to think for themselves.

Sorry for the babble but I guess there’s just not much else to say.
    Keep the Peace

Badger,

If I were to bet, I would also bet on MLB, but Frank has a good argument, I wonder what would happen if we saw KC\’s books or all the other team\’s books? It could be that Frank is not taking any more money out than they are…

I\’m just saying…

4. AnewBlueDay says:

Brooklyn, you said on the previous file: ” . . . all I want is to see that bright light at the end of the tunnel . . ”

I have special information from above. Being a member of the clergy, I have that right. Here is the SECRET PLAN for Ned and the Dodger front office are working on —

Look good the rest of the season on the field, but continue to loose two of every three or four games. Reason — to have one of the two or three worst records in the majors —- so that in June of 2012 the Dodgers would be one of the top teams in the Draft. Yes sir, that does take planning and commitment from players.

Yet, for the past several weeks, the guys have been doing just about that.

Now, in this year’s 2011 Draft — June 6-7-8 (on MLB Network) —

One Mock Draft has the Dodgers at #16 selecting Archie Bradley, 6-4, 210 pounder. RHP: Broken Arrow HS (OK).

Also, Dodgers loose #48 for signing Garland, and #49 for signing Uribe.

Second Dodger pick is not till #73, then #103, then #134

So three picks in the first 151 selections. Not good.

Tampa Bay should be kings of the Draft. They have 10 of the first 60, and 12 of the first 89 selections. In all, after it is done: they can make up to 60 selections which would be the most by a team since the Draft was restricted to 50 rounds in 1998.

TAMPA BAY’S FIRST 12 SELECTIONS
    2011 First-Year Player Draft
    No. 24 — From Red Sox for Carl Crawford, Type A
    No. 31 — From Yankees for Rafael Soriano, Type A
    No. 32 — Rays’ own first-round pick
    No. 38 — Compensation for Soriano
    No. 41 — Compensation for Crawford
    No. 42 — Compensation for Grant Balfour, Type A, signing with A’s.
    No. 52 — Compensation for Brad Hawpe, Type B, signing with Padres
    No. 56 — Compensation for Joaquin Benoit, Type B, signing with Tigers
    No. 59 — Compensation for Randy Choate, Type B, signing with Marlins
    No. 60 — Compensation for Chad Qualls, Type B, signing with Padres
    No. 75 — From A’s for Balfour
    No 89 — Rays’ own second-round pick

• Bluefan says:

ABD,

The Dodgers did not lose any picks for the signings of Type B Free Agents, RH Jon Garland and IN Juan Uribe. The Padres and Giants received a pick (from the league) in the 1st Round Supplemental (between the 1st and 2nd rounds) as compensation.

Type A: Team losing Free Agent receives the signing teams 1st available unprotected pick and a 1st Round Supplemental pick, if arbitration was offered.

Type B: Team losing Free Agent receives a 1st Round Supplemental pick, if arbitration was offered.

5. AnewBlueDay says:

Mark, I just looked up attendance for 2011.

Dodgers are #9, average 36,446. PLhillies lead with 45,455 average.

then Yankees, Giants, Twins, Angels, Red Sox, Texas, Cardinals . . .

Bottom up: Indians with 15,647 per game, Pittsburgh 16,985, Florida 17,169, Tampa Bay 17,625, Oakland, K.C. Seattle —- all of these averaging under 19,999 a game.

But I think, annual ticket sales enter into this, not gate showups.

6. GoNzO says:

Hopefully within the next ten days the club does something about the situation at first. Loney is just not going to make it in LA. I like him a lot, but he is not the player we need. He is Russ Martin 2.0. Like Russ, Loney is a complementary player. He’s trying to hit homeruns and that is not his game. A good situation for him woud be in Tampa where he wouldn’t be required to carry the offense but add support while playing GG defense.

Fortunatley for Loney, the Dodgers didn’t LaRoche him and gave him the opportunity to prove himself. I say have a firesale the only untouchables on the club IMO are Kemp, Kershaw and Billingsly.

I still say we should trade Ethier while his value is high Cody Rasmus anybody. It’s time to give the kids a shot and play for the draft pick.

7. AnewBlueDay says:

Yes sir, that traditional (last 15 years or so) Pirates, Royals of trading away the main players for kids, and bringing up kids is now the way for the Dodgers.

Yep, Roger, looks like doing it the way Tampa does it is not a bad idea. The difference would be, the Dodgers would still draw 3 million with a new owner. We have the ability to draw the good vets, Tampa does not. And, what self respecting successful multi-millionaire baseball player would choose Kansas City over Los Angeles?

Mark, I really doubt other mlb franchise owners have done what McCourt has done, but your point is well taken. Nobody wants their dirty laundry aired.

But the real question of the day is, why did Arnold marry a Kennedy?

Attendance always includes season tickets purchased and not just gate receipts. Just by watching the games on TV you can tell that the stadium is not 65% filled on average if the 36,000 figure is correct that Roger is quoting. I would bet that attendance is closer to 20,000 or less actully attending the games. I can tell you that prices listed on Stub Hub for seats are down this year. I was able to purchase season seats behind home plate for slightly above the season ticket price over a month ago. Over the past several years, the price I paid for these seats would be unheard of. I am sure that most season ticket holders are listing their tickets for cost now, at least the holders that are serious about selling their seats. What incentive would there be to purchase season tickets if you can buy any game you want for the same price as the season ticket holder? And sit any where you want in the Stadium. Most holders are probably giving their seats away to friends, family, clients and co-workers on the nights they can’t attend the games. It would be a horrible time to own season tickets. The Dodgers were the second most popular event in town behind the Lakers. That should change soon if it hasn’t already.

10. youbetterthinkagain says:

I feel for ya, Bill Russell, owning something that you once loved to spend money on and now you basically hate it. NO, I don’t mean you hate the Dodgers, but rather you hate to support McScrew and watch a very un-entertaining product. Sort of like buying a car that you continue to make payments, although the car was wrecked and put back together but just isn’t the same car, those payments become despised every month.

I wish I could tell you it is going to get better, but this is going to take a while before that happens. Hang in there and don’t strangle anyone!

This is very depressing to read.

And what’s really depressing is I find the tamp bay information more exciting than the Dodger info.

The Rays are an interesting story. They have to be smart because they are neither rich nor popular. They compete in a division that includes a few of the best and most popular teams in Major League baseball, and, they actually win in that division.

The Dodgers are no longer rich, the McCourt’s took care of that. But they are still popular. If they started to do things right, they could keep 3.5 million coming to the park, AND own their own television network. That doesn’t guarantee smart, but it does guarantee rich. Smart will have an opportunity to enter when McCourt is shown the door.

I can think of 3 guys right off the top of my head to replace the hitting coach. Tim Wallach, Davey Lopes and Manny Mota.

Think it would be foolish to play valuable infield assets in LF especially when they’re combined age is 77.

It might be true that other owners have spent lavioushly on their prima donna selves but they can pay their bills by signing checks not loan documents.

Shit is gonna hit the fan

If the shit hits the fan – then you’d
    Better wear some plastic like your attending a Gallagher watermelon smashing comedy show. I never did understand the comedy value of being hit by the melon but watching it hit people was pretty funny.

Just to clarify, I’m no longer a season ticket holder – quit that a few years back. I meant to say that I purchased tickets from a season ticket holder at the same price as if I was still a season ticket holder and for only one game and not a full season. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, getting ready to drive out to the park and freeze my a$$ off. All for what? Can this team score runs? Oh well, last trip during the McCourt administration. I’ll be the guy wearing the blue LA Dodger Talk baseball hat with many layers of clothing paying $15 to park and $12 per beer and $6.50 for a fricken hot dog. Or I could stop at Morton’s Steak House on the way down and get a really good steak dinner for about the same price. Peace

Oh ya Michael, Manny Mota would probably sleep through batting practice. He’s kinda old now. The other two might help. BRuss OUT

16. AnewBlueDay says:

So the Dodgers are still paying these guys these amounts:

$7,700,000 Manny Ramirez
    $3,500,000 Juan Pierre
    $3,375,000 Andruw Jones
    $1,500,000 Jason Schmidt
    $150,000 Brad Ausmus
    $125,000 Octavio Dotel
    $3 Mark Timmons

17. Jon says:

I know this isn’t a very profound post, Timmons, but I would like to see them just go ahead and trade that Loney if they can. Lacks power, too many double plays although a high average. The chemistry with him on this team just isn’t good.

18. Jon says:

Not a high average this year, I mean he hit around 300 in other years and in the playoffs. This year his average sucks of course.

19. Jon says:

Or is Selig blocking trades. The only selling point to other teams for trading Loney would be he had a decent avg 2 years ago at least.

Having a high quantity and quality of draft picks might be a valuable commodity to have next year, if we get a new owner who can actually afford to pay the bonuses. This year, I wonder what the Dodgers will be spending on draft picks and international prospects, especially if they don’t meet payroll on May 31.

21. jerry says:

i think the hitting problem started with mattingly as the hitting coach..just because you can play does not mean you can teach..and as far a loney he has saved our ass many time with his glove, and the coach change his stroke ..just get a hitting coach ..and loney will be fine.. and idj is not as good as all of you on here think he is. he is way over rated..

IDJ is overrated by who? The Dodgers obviously don’t think much of him. And I have no idea.

Though I agree with you about Loney, he needs a new coach in a new city. I have a feeling the Dodgers are about done with him.

23. Right on. Anytime I go on %source_url&%, I find a website that is enlightening and challenging.
    . It’s never a bad idea to connect with the ideas and material of other writers and link to other sites.