Is it Dire for the Dodgers?

If you have not been involved in watching major league baseball before, you may think that things are dire for the Dodgers… and you may be right!  Or, you could be wrong.  You see, in baseball anything can happen.  You may think it is unlikely, but Rafael Furcal, Casey Blake and Juan Uribe could come back with a vengeance.  You may not believe that Andre Ethier could re-discover his April 2010 stroke.  You may believe that James Loney will not  right his ship and Kuo, Padilla and Broxton could not all come back with “lights out.”  You may dis-believe that Jerry Sands is showing signs that he might be a stud and Rubby looks as good as advertised.  It’s logical to point out that Ian Snell is a head case, but so was Padilla.

See, in baseball you never know.  Some of you are breaking your arms patting yourself on the back right now and saying “Yep, that’s about where I thought the Dodgers would be!“  About this time last year, the Giants fans were saying the same thing – and don’t tell me they weren’t because I have a ton of Giants fans as “in-laws” (“out-laws” may be closer to the truth).  You don’t “know.”  I don’t “know,” either.

In a week, Frank McCourt could be flush with cash… or the Dodgers could be in receivership.  In a month, the Dodgers could be sellers, or they could be buyers, and I think there will be some real “buys” out there.  YOU DON’T KNOW!   I DON’T KNOW!

What I do know is that there is a lot of talent here.  The Dodgers have been severely injured.  That may continue, or it may change.  The team has been anemic in plating runs.  Here’s what I do KNOW:  In baseball, things change.  The guy who goes 1 for 50 can go 11 for 22 over the next few days.  That’s the beauty of baseball.  That’s the frustration of baseball.  Bloggers try and extrapolate statistics and predict what will happen next.

Bloggers hated Jamey Carroll and loved Jon Broxton.  Neither emotion was warranted… and it was Emotion – an emotional reaction to a statistical feeling!

A big part of me wants the McCourt Era to be over, but there’s this nagging voice that tell me “it ain’t over.”

If the Dodgers are sellers, look for Broxton, Kuroda, Garland, Lilly, Kuo, Ethier, Barajas, Blake, Furcal, Navarro, Loney, Uribe and Guerrier to be available.

If they are buyers, names like David Wright, Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran and others will surface.

If you don’t expect the unexpected, you don’t know baseball!

P.S.  Russ Mitchell = Casey Blake – Look it up!

8 Responses to “Is it Dire for the Dodgers?”

So, what you are saying is, you believe the Padres and the dbacks have a shot at this thing.

OK, you may be right, but if I were a betting man, I would bet against it.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Of course you would, but look back at the 2009 Rockies. They were 20-30 on June first and went 72-40 the rest of the way and finished 92-70. I only point this out because in baseball anything is possible. Now, I would also bet that it won\’t happen, but you never know. You just never know.

2. andre says:

Mark why do you think Fox would offer McCourt such an advance? They figure they can get a better deal while McCourt is in a position of weakness. The deal would give the dodgers cash, but it would hurt in the long term.

If McCourt wanted to maintain control of the dodgers, he should have managed his finances better.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Andre,

It\’s still a very good deal – maybe he could get a better deal, but it ain\’t bad. Here\’s the thing – If anyone thinks Bud can just get rid of Frank because the Dodgers\’ Debt to Value Ratio is too high (54%), then they are forgetting that the Cubs, Mets, Rangers and Nationals all have significantly higher Debt to Value Ratios and that the the Cards and the Padres have about the same percentage as the Dodgers. Lots of teams are a mess right now financially and the Padres had the highest operating income last year. Look at the KC Royals and how they are run. Look at the Pirates. Their owners pocket millions and screw the fans on a regular basis and Bud does nothing.

3. Anonymous says:

and i might win the powerball saturday night, if i bought a ticket, or i might not. We all know which if more likely.

4. Corey says:

sorry….I meant, which IS more likely and that was from my laptop, which called me anonymous….

5. youbetterthinkagain says:

Now that is some insightful stuff, damn couldn’t get that deep cover stuff just anywhere (okay you can get it everywhere, but not regurgitated like that, except here). I particularly like the phrase, “some of you are breaking your arms patting yourselves on the back” spoken like a man with two broken shoulders and two broken arms, with no chance of healing. Beautiful job, Mr. Timmons, beautiful!

• DodgerDude says:

Mark,

The first thing to know is that a happy, self confident, person does not put others down. They might provide constructive criticism but they won’t put others down. This tells you a lot about the person who criticizes you. Some people are very negative about others because:

1. they need to make themselves feel like they’re in control or more powerful or to cover up their own insecurities
      2. they’ve experienced a trauma of their own in the past and they don’t know how to deal with the pain so they’ll hurt others as a defense mechanism.

People’s tirades against you will probably reveal to you just how unhappy and disillusioned and frustrated that person is with life, and that’s their problem, not yours. Knowing this can go a long way to being able to detach from the comments. If you know it has more to do with the person making the comments than about you, it makes it far easier not feel hurt by what’s been said.

Just my two cents…