The Return of Dodger Baseball

The Return of Dodger Baseball

After the game, Matt Kemp said: “This is just the beginning.

Tony Jackson of ESPN/LosAngeles hit the nail on the head:  Davey Lopes is helping the Dodgers immensely, especially Matt Kemp.  After describing Matt Kemp who went from first to third on what might have ordinarily been a double play ball, Tony wrote this:

“There was no home run, no RBI, not even a hit. But all at once, the old yard began to rock in a way it really didn’t at any time last year. There was a collective sense not only that Kemp was a different player, but that the Dodgers were a different team, an exciting team, an electrifying team … an interesting team.

A good team? We won’t know that for a little while yet. But it looks as if it’s going to be fun to find out.”

The Dodger way to play baseball is back, and not a minute too soon. The above-mentioned play would have likely resulted in a double-play last year.   Not this year.  Not this team.  Jackson goes on to say:

“This is a team that leaves the batter’s box on every single thinking double, that thinks triple on every double, that thinks first-to-third on every single, the underlying rationale being that you can always put on the brakes if the outfielder cuts off the ball quickly. It is a team that looks not only to score runs, but to create them, something that could make all the difference in one-run games like the two the Dodgers already have played this season.”

• I think one of the things that will be the Giants undoing this year is defense.  I said that a couple of months ago and we saw it first-handed as the Giants committed fiver errors in the first two games of the season.
  • Juan Uribe sat out last night’s game after getting plunked on the arm the night before (no major damage), so it was simply “Next Man Up!
  • Aaron Miles started at 3B and IDJ2 started at 2B.
  • DeJesus looked every bit a rookie as he struck out three times in his debut.
  • Raffy looks healthy and had two hits, including driving in the winning run.
  • Chad made a mistake, but was solid – he didn’t let it get him down.
  • Casey Blake is playing in Arizona and the Dodgers aren’t rushing him, but IDJ2 is the one most likely to go down when Blake comes off the DL.
  • Finally, props to Jon Broxton.  His pitching was impressive, but I was more impressed with his demeanor, his body language, his aggressiveness and his confidence.  He looked like he wanted the ball and almost looked scary at times.  Maybe my bad-mouthing helped helped?   I’ll take the credit (HA!).

18 Responses to “The Return of Dodger Baseball”

1. the truth hurts says:

big win!

im not sure if we won or the giants beat themselves the past two nights.

oh well, i’ll take it

2. Joe says:

The Giants are playing like the Dodgers played early last year. It seemed like every error costs them a run. Kemp is playing with a purpose, glad to see it carried over into the regular season. Love the fact Lopes is back, he is worth every penny they pay him.

just gota take each series at a time.

if we can take today or tomorrow, we’ll take 3 of 4 in this series. you can never complain about that!

Flash, the S.F. Giants are playing like the 2010 L.A. Dodgers. Asleep at the job.

Broxton, like his several days growth on his face. Makes him look almost like the mad Hungarian. (For those of you younger fans, and that name does not ring a bell, you might have to look him up.) This guy put on a show of anger, tough, the eyes, beard, hair, and he probably did not shower but once a week.

After two games, this Dodger teams is not your last years team. You are right, Davy Lopes has changed the playing on this team.

What Joe says from above.
    If Broxton can keep up the way he pitched last night, I will talk Mark into posting a picture of myself and him eating a meal of crow. I’m very very hungry Johnny, so dish it out. Go Blue

So far so good. What’s bad is that I don’t get to see today’s game. I hate it when the Dodgers play Saturday afternoon. I get the east coast Fox game, and everything else is blacked out, including MLB.TV and Extra Innings. I hate Fox. The Dodgers need to play every Saturday game at night so I can watch it.

When Billingsley was running around on the bases last night I was hoping that it wouldn’t affect his pitching. Turns out that Belt hit his HR (I was tempted to say “belted” his HR–so I said it anyway) when Billingsley went back out to the mound. Coincidence, maybe, or maybe not. But Belt does look like he’s going to be a really good hitter.

I think a lot of us thought that Lopes would have a positive effect on the team in general, and Kemp in particular. I also think a lot of the credit needs to go also to Mattingly, who stated early on that he wanted this team playing more aggressively. And Lopes fits into that plan perfectly. Subtracting Torre, Shaefer and Bowa was in itself a plus, and adding Mattingly, Lopes, Wallach and Hillman was the icing, and then some.

Who said that Dave Duncan was a pitching genius? If that’s the case, why was Hawksworth moved into a starting role with the Cardinals last year after having so much success out of the pen in 2009? I’ve always believed Duncan was overhyped, and nothing yet has changed my mind?

• Joe says:

I have the same problem where I am from. I live in South Dakota and all we ever get to see on Saturday afternoon is the darn Yankees for the most part. I don’t believe I ever seen the Dodgers play on TV when they are on Fox’s Saturday game. When they did play the Yankees last year they showed the Twins game, which I understand but I have no other options to watch them. Thanks for heads up I was thinking about getting MLB.TV because of the issue but don’t need it if they black them out, I will stick to the MLB package on Directv.

Belt and Loney. I do not think they have the same swing — but Loney might want to study Belt’s swing and take some of it into his.

Since i cannot see the game, have not even listened to much == 5 to zip so far against Cain — is there any learning from this game???

For me, looking at the lineup, I do not like Miles, De Jesus, Gimenez, Paul, Carroll all in the same game — but that is me. That is ok for a Spring Training game, but not against the Giants.

9. the truth hurts says:

this lineup is just awful

Furcal and Barajas are out because it’s a day game after a night game. Not so sure that’s necessary this early in the season, especially since the Dodgers have the day off on Monday. But Mattingly thinks it’s necessary, and at this stage I see no reason to argue with it. Besides, it does keep Raffy’s plate appearances down, making it that much less likely that he’ll reach the 600 PA’s he needs to guarantee his $12 million option for next year.

Looks like Jansen’s control problems have jumped up to bite him. But it’s early, and it’s only one appearance. Hopefully he’s learning a valuable lesson that he can ultimately use to his advantage. Adversity is still the best teacher of all.

ya win or lose, today’s lineup was not pretty. nothing to really anticipate.

either way, win tomorrow, take 3 of 4, and it’ll be a great start

12. Voldomer says:

I didn’t get to see it either, but I wonder how much of the pitching problems might be traced to throwing to a “strange” catcher? I’d much rather see Ellis as the #2 catcher and Giminez as a PH.

I can understand giving Barajas the day off after a night game, but did Furcal have to sit today too? I would think tomorrow would do him more good since he’d also have Monday off.

As Bobby says, win tomorrow and everyone is happy. I hate to see one given away with a lineup like today’s, though.

Hey you can’t win em all. I’d rather get beat 10 zip than one to nothing with the likeyhood that they spent their tank today and will wish they could have saved some of them for Sunday Night Baseball w/o Joe[freakin] Morgan, Yippee
    I was wondering if anyone thought a 44 thou attendence on Friday night and 40 G today was a little low? Opening weekend and against them?
    Is this connected with the boycott of the owner? Just wondering.

Jansen’s performance today, because it took 42 pitches, brings back memories of Broxton’s ill-fated 48 pitch outing against the Yankees last year. But I’m sure the difference will be that he won’t throw 99 pitches in 5 days like Broxton did. There is no way he pitches tomorrow, and the Dodgers are off on Monday, and Thursday as well.

Does anyone remember the last time Jansen pitched? I can’t recall when he had his last outing in spring training. I’m wondering if he’s had too many days off, and if that might have affected his control, although control is an issue he’s had in the past.

After a few games, it could be that several of these guys need to be send down — to get their game in shape — then come back with confidence.

For instance. Say Jansen is used sparingly and continues to force the ball and lose confidence. But, farm him out for two weeks or so, let him get himself together, then he will be fine.

On the game today (and we just returned after being out) — Kershaw & Billingsley ought to be glad they did not have to pitch tonight, because the Giant staff would have beaten them. Zero walks for their staff. They gave up 8 singles and a double.

So, go get ‘em tomorrow.

Still wish that Dunn was brought to the Dodgers over the winter. We do not have that kind of bat in this lineup.