Let’s Make a Deal

Let’s Make a Deal

Hey, I read here every day, but today I thought I’d weigh in with my opinion.

Temporarily Impaired

1. Chad Billingsley is disappointing.  His proclivity to blow leads is troubling.  It appears to me that he’s throwing, not pitching.  I think he’ll turn it around, but I feel better about Lilly than I do about C-Bill right about now.
  2. James Loney will hit – It may be May, however.
  3. I think that Sands and De La Rosa will both be starters by June.
  4. Don Mattingly evidently doesn’t like IDJ2 – I’m just sayin’
  5. Juan Uribe will look really bad and really good alternating between both for the rest of the season.
  6. Look, this team has potential, but there are times when you have to make painful changes in order to get better and move to the next level.  Two players I believe the Dodgers need to move are James Loney and Jon Broxton.  You know I have always ragged on Jon Broxton, but for the uninitiated, here are a few things said nearly 3 years ago:

8/12/08:

The Key Is To Score So Many Runs Even Broxton Can’t Blow It!

8/17/08

It could have been a happy ending if only Jon Broxton didn’t continue to give games away.  He saves less than half his games (14 for 31) and cannot be counted on to close the deal.  I’m OK with him as a setup man, but I still believe he will never be a reliable closer.

I still say that –  I haven’t wavered.  I only wonder if he has any trade value.  He has 5 saves this year, but he has been lucky, not dominant.  Even Ray Charles can see that.

Even though the Mets are 4-6, they have to be considered to be in a rebuilding mode.  I think that they are logical trade partners with the Dodgers.

I want three players on the Mets:  Carlos Beltran, Jose Reyes and David Wright and I purpose a blockbuster deal for them.  Quit laughing!  Here’s how it can happen (bear with me):

1. Quit laughing, right now!
  2. Frank goes to Bud and says “I have  a $4 billion dollar deal with FOX which will pay me $300,000,000 a year the first five years.   After that it, drops to $166, 000,000.00 per year for the next 15 years.”
  3. He goes on to say that “I will pay Jamie $50 million a year for the first 5 years and then $10 million a year for the next 15 years.”
  4. To show good faith he further says:  “I have a deal, pending your approval, by which we will trade Jon Broxton, James Loney, Casey Blake, Dee Gordon, Chris Withrow, Allen Webster, Pedro Baez, Tony Gwynn, Trayvon Robinson, Ethan Martin and Ivan DeJesus to the Mets for David Wright, Jose, Reyes and Carlos Beltran.  That means I am taking on $42.5 million in salary while only dumping about $20 million.  How can you say no to that?”

OK, I don’t mean that all those players should be in the deal, but I do think the Mets should have their pick of several players not named Sands or De La Rosa! The Mets need salary relief and this provides it.  They could in turn, spin Brox, Loney and Blake to contenders and save another $20 mil, while garnering more prospect to rebuild.  That might save the team.

Dodgers’ Lineup:

1. Jose Reyes  SS
  2. David Wright  3B
  3. Andre Ethier  RF
  4. Matt Kemp  CF
  5. Carlos Beltran  LF
  6. Jerry Sands  1B
  7. Juan Uribe  2B
  8. Rod Barajas  C

Beltran and Reyes’ contracts are up after this year and Reyes could be re-signed, not Beltran.  Hey – it’s just an idea…

If Frank wants to get Bud to agree to a new TV deal, he’s got to show Bud that he will put some big money back into the team.    What better way to do that.  OK, I admit that is wild conjecture, but it has merit…

On 3/26/11 I wrote:

Ron Mahay is gone – probably to peddle his service to the D-Backs since he lives there.

Well, that’s where he ended up.  He lives in Phoenix, so it made sense.

OK, tonight the Dodgers need a hero.

Tonight’s lineup:
1. Gwynn, LF
2. Blake, 3B
3. Ethier, RF
4. Kemp, CF
5. Loney, 1B
6. Uribe, 2B
7. Barajas, C
8. Carroll, SS
9. Garland, P

IDJ2 Continues to rot on the bench!

20 Responses to “Let’s Make a Deal”

1. ebbetsfld says:

God I hope this doesn’t happen, and I’m much more comfortable with Billz than Lilly!

Here’s the problem with Broxton. Reduced velocity and a slider that no longer has the consistent bite that it used to have. If the velocity doesn’t return, it’s likely because there’s something wrong, in which case he will have very little value to the Dodgers or anyone else. Broxton needs to hit in the upper 90′s consistently with his straight as an arrow fastball. At 94-95 it’s very hittable by big league hitters. And he’s also been going below those numbers. The only way Broxton can pitch at those speeds is to develop move movement on his fastball or add at least one more pitch, maybe two.

I’ve supported Broxton based on what I believe he’s capable of if the weapons are there. I have never subscribed to the idea that his problems are mental. Without weapons he’s not going to be consistently effective. And what I’ve seen this year is a pitcher who no longer seems to have the weapons.

• Bill Russell says:

If it’s not mental, why can’t he find the strike zone during some games? Mechanics maybe, but mechanics can be considered mental? That’s not a velocity issue when he’s not throwing strikes. We have beat this dog too much that he shouldn’t even come home and yet we still continue to beat it. I’m not buying that it’s not mental. Trade him before he makes the Allstar team this year to screw him up even more.

Welcome back Kotter.

Believe it or not, I was thinking on the same wavelength, but to make the Mets bite Frankie Rod almost certainly would have to be part of the deal. Could you imagine David freaking Wright, wow.

I was also thinking of a way to swing King Felix

:}

4. Gonzo says:

Mark, I think you might have been behind “Ned’s” trades these past few years. What you propose is a Ned Trade. If the Mets want to get rid of salary it could be done with 4 or 5 players. I am not high on Gordon, I don’t know why but he doesn’t do it for me.

wright and Reyes in Blue are intriguing. That new Ball park the Mets built has stalled his career or was it the ball to the head?

Please post more often, I like Jarred’s posts but it doesn’t lead to a lot of discussion.

5. Mark Timmons says:

Gonzo,

That’s because Jared has a modicum of sanity. I’m stone-cold-crazy!

I want to try and post at least twice a week, but that may be a month away. I am just crazy-busy!

My son is playing baseball and spring football. Business is crazy and kids and grandkids are always around. It’s just a time thing….

I’m not leaving. I just have to balance things.

So far this season, two weeks . . . the Dodgers (not their recored), their playing is just about the weakest in the majors.

When Dodger starters are not on and pitching a shoutout, it will be tough to stay in a ball game, like tonight.

Badger is right — the Dodgers on most days/nights will not win a shootout with the bats. So it is pitching.

Even the relief pitching I have seen, is not ready for the season.

Where is the commissioner when you need him???

Remember, the Pirates had Hall of Fame Ralph Kiner hitting 50 HRs back in the 1950s and they still took last place.

This team needs to work on its pitching – big time.

Meanwhile it’s not only Broxton’s velocity that’s down. Start worrying about Kenley Jansen. Nothing above 93 tonight. That’s not the Jansen I saw last year. Something tells me he may be headed to ALBQ. or Chattanooga soon.

Sands with another 2 run hr today.

dude is absolutely on fire

I find myself for the first time being critical of Mattingly. I didn’t like him letting Garland start his last inning (I forget which inning it was) just because he was coming up second in the inning. It was clear that he had nothing, and as it turns out he had to be replaced.

But what really rankled me was his not coming out and defending his players when three of them were victims of a homeplate umpire that himself should have been thrown out of the game. I don’t care if arguing balls and strikes will get the manager thrown out. He needed to step up and come to the defense of his players, especially since all the calls were wrong.

And by the way, Barajas’ last out was the result of so many pitches off the plate being called strikes. The pitch he swung at was well off the plate, but Barajas probably felt he had to swing at it, lest it be called a strike.

It’s continuing, and the Dodgers are acting like a bunch of lambs, resigned to the fact that they are just going to be called out on pitches off the plate on the left side of the plate. And Kyle Lohse is no idiot, and he’s clearly pitching to that spot, especially when he gets two strikes on a hitter.

Somebody needs to go nuts and get thrown out of this game.

Good to hear about Sands. Maybe he gets called up sooner than expected. And maybe it’s just ALBQ. Who knows?

I didn’t see the game, was the ump picking on the poor unfortunate Dodgers or was he just bad both ways?

12. WillieMays says:

Hey Mark,

Eric Stephen of True Blue LA says that you write “garbage.”

I thought that was a little curious. It sounds like he has an ax to grind with you. Just thought I’d let you know.

13. ray guilfoyle says:

I write for the same company that Eric writes for, but am surprised he would bash another’s writing. I am not one to bash other’s writing, as I have not won any writing awards or a highly paid for that matter.

Mark,

If we were to trade for Reyes or Wright, we would have to give up all of our top prospects, but I would do it. Both are all-star level players in the prime of their careers.
    I hear the Mets want a stud pitching prospect for Reyes. RDLR to the Mets?

Actually, I am not convinced this team will win more than 85 games this year. I predicted 90 wins or so. They need to hit more and score more runs. Last night’s results will not happen every night. We caught the Cardinals at the worst time, plus we NEVER play them well.

• Mark Timmons says:

Ray,

My writing at LAdodgerTalk.com doesn’t “define” me. It’s a small fraction of my life. It doesn’t make me who I am.

I don’t claim to be a writer.

Never have. Never will.

But, every year, our readership grows by 30% or more (Jared gets a lot of credit for that too).

If you read some blogs, it’s obvious the blog is their life. They spend a huge amount of time on it. It defines them. Not me.

There’s a lot more I could say about this, but I won’t.

Connect the dots.

• ray guilfoyle says:

Mark,

I see what you are saying. I think TBLA might be his fulltime job….that along with some other responsibilities at the SB Nation LA site….not sure to be honest. I am surprised at the amount of comments during daygames. Not to say I don’t like his blog, or your blog. I read both daily.
        I think some of Jon Weisman’s readers moved to TBLA if I am not mistaken. I think ESPN does a poor job of promoting Jon’s work there.

I wouldn’t trade RDLR straight up for Reyes. Not only do I love RDLR’s stuff (great change AND fastball), but Reyes, in my opinion, is a risk. He’s had numerous leg injuries over the last several years, and for a guy whose game is dependent on his legs, that’s dangerous.

I think the Dodgers need not go for the quick fix by giving up lots of talent to get high priced talent, that they clearly can’t afford at this time. And if they could afford it, then free agency is where they should concentrate after the season. Keep the low price talent like RDLR, Sands and Gordon, and mix them in with higher priced players obtained through free agency/trades.

• Mark Timmons says:

BD,

I wouldn’t do that trade either, but I would trade Dee Gordon for him. I see Gordons’ tools, but I’m not sold.

As I said above, I would trade anyone not named De La Rosa or Sands.

15. Give it a Rest says:

Thank you Mark! Ever since Gordon was drafted I didn’t see the wow factor others have. Kid does have insane athletic ability, but to me he’s a Juan Pierre that happens to be right handed therefore, playing the middle IF. I wouldn’t mind trading him in the right deal while his value is up.

He will not develop the glove IMO.