If you can’t call him Ace, you might have to call him Cy

If you can’t call him Ace, you might have to call him Cy

I thought this was appropriate under the circumstances.

Peter Gammons and a few others have picked him as the Cy Young winner this year.  That’s a hard prediction to make, but I will say that he is certainly on the “short list” of players who can win it.  If you are still reluctant to call him “Ace,” how would you feel to call him “Cy?”  The Dodgers are rapidly becoming Clayton Kershaw’s Team.  You can see him begin taking the reins as the team leader.  This isn’t an overnight process but his demeanor, confidence and performance already has elevated him to “leader status.”    Pretty soon, the sportswriters will be calling it “Clayton Kershaw and the LA Dodgers.”

Rants & Raves

• He is visibly slimmer, obviously quicker and apparently more patient about chasing bad pitches.  Matt Kemp walked three times and singled, and was on base every time last night.  Oh, and he scored both runs.  I expect a monster season from Matt.
  • James Loney quietly played a key role in getting a clutch hit and making some tough plays.
  • If you think I am going to rag on J-Brox because he gave up a HR which blew the shutout, you are wrong!  I actually was more pleased with Jon that I have been in a long time.  Someone has been in his ear about how long it takes him between pitches.  He got the ball back and was ready to throw it as soon as he got it.  His velocity was up to 99 (which is good for this early) and he threw a lot of pitches other than his trademark fastball.  Jon looked more like a pitcher and less like a thrower last night.  Even after Burrel’s HR, he still looked confident.  I see hope!
  • Tonight C-Bill can stick the dagger in a little deeper and push the Giants to 2-games out!

14 Responses to “If you can’t call him Ace, you might have to call him Cy”

1 down and 3 to go. Can we sweep the world champs to begin the year? That might be asking too much but it would be nice. Kershaw looked great yesterday and we found a way to score a couple of runs. We may be seeing a lot of these one to two run wins this year so get ready. Now let’s see what our newly extended pitcher has in store for us tonight. Go Blue

• bluetrain says:

tonight is very possible, Bills has a carre 0.74 era agin the Gnats. Then we are sending out Lilly and Kuroda. hmmmm, Could be, and what a great way to start a season after last years 2nd half disaster.

2. Jae says:

Let us not forget that we were hitting against one of the best pitchers in baseball last night.

I think that this team will score more runs than people think.

3. the truth hurts says:

Great win! Hopefully raffy can get things going tonight! I see him with three hits!!!

Kershy is so fun to watch.

Way to go kuo. Nice bounce back.

Broxton always makes things interesting!

Can’t wait for game two tonight. Love winning!

well said.

if kersh is the ace and the leader, that means he’s stepped up and become it. well, now it’s time for bills to step up and join him as the dominant #2.

tonight will be great to watch.

5. Ceeez la says:

Wow what a game! Kershse made posey look like a Buster! He made him look foolish and that includes the whole giant team. The whole team looked focused and on a mission. I feel very confident this year. We have a nice balanced team and I always felt that if we played to our potential, we can beat anyone. Hopefully it continues! La Dodgers all day!

I think that Kershaw can definitely get into the Cy Young conversation, and he definitely appears to be #1 caliber. But at present, because he’s young, and because he’s still developing, I’m just happy to have him at the front of our rotation. Victories are more important to me than labels. It appears as if the slider has become a go-to pitch for him, one that he can throw effectively for strikes, along with his fastball. And the more he’s around the plate, the more often hitters are going to be swinging at the curve, whether it’s a strike or not. Throw in an improving change, and he’s fast becoming the pitcher (with the emphasis on “pitcher”) we’ve been hoping for.

Kemp’s performance last night was extremely encouraging. If he continues to let the bad pitches go by, and Ethier and Loney hit in from and behind him, then eventually he’s going to be seeing pitches he wants to swing at, and we could see some really good numbers.

Broxton’s performance was encouraging to me, because his velocity appears to be back, his slider had some bite, and because he sucked it up after the HR, and got down to business. He could still use an effective third pitch, and I’d really like to see some more movement on his still straight as an arrow fastball. I’d also like to see him pitch UP more (especially when he’s ahead in the count). With his fastball, that’s something he should be able to do, along with pitching more inside.

The Giants’ defense looks a little ragged on the outfield corners, and at shortstop. With Burrell in left and Huff in right, the Giants outfield seems range deficient. I’d have to take another look at it to be more certain, but it may be that Kemp’s bloop hit may have been caught by a more mobile rightfielder. The error notwithstanding, Tejada probably doesn’t provide much range at short. Not sure that Freddy Sanchez provides much at 2B either.

Long season though, so we’ll just have to let it play out.

Just back from my hospital stay and test, 32 hours in all there. Results next week.

Had a nice surprise. Their TVs carried all three ESPN games so I got to see the Dodger – Giant game. And what a game.

On the final roster. Did the Dodgers have to release or let walk any of those players at Spring Training — who were in the mix? Or, did they all accept a minor league contract???

On De La Rosa that was so great in that ending Spring Training game — I notice that he is not on the 40 man roster. Thus, the clock has not started on him as of yet and he is 22 years old (born in 1989; if the records are correct).

But — from what I saw — they could have him pitch in the minors, and call him up a day or two prior to that 5th starter pitch date — and let him throw. I do not see anyone else that would do any better.

That way, he would be active for a couple of starts to work on things, then come and and let it fly.

• bluetrain says:

Wouldnt be smart to bring Rubby up, have to put him on the 40 man roster, and start his clock..He looked great, and will look even better when he gets a feel for throwing off speed stuff. Better to learn at AA and AAA

• Jae says:

Roger,

Glad you are back. Mahay walked. Lindsey and Link were released, but both may be back. Everyone else is on the DL.

8. Joe says:

1 down, 90 more to go (might take that many wins to win the division). Hopefully Bills can follow with a strong game tonight. I think the umpire missed a couple of Broxton pitches to Burrell, at least one of the called balls was down the middle. I like the he didn’t walk Burrell and did come back to get the final 2.

9. RogerCraig says:

I think that the boys have at least 90 more in them.

Burrells HR aside, the battery chuckers are in a world of shet.

With Tejada as SS and Burrell and Huff as the outfield corners has the look of a long season ahead. I really like Brandon Belt alot but his arrival bumped Huff off 1B.

Unreal about Kemp taking 3 walks but I imagine a big reason for that is teams are going to pitch around him and take there chances with James who left a plethora of runners on but figured in the win with his great D and his run scoring double in the 8th.

First impressions last

1. [...] If you can’t call him Ace, you might have to call him Cy Some people are reluctant to call him “Ace.”  “He’s too young.   “He’s too wild.”  “He’s too inexperienced.”  Every year, we have seen Clayton Kershaw  progress, mature, grow and develop.  One of the first and probably the smartest thing Don Mattingly did when he started Spring Training was to name Clayton as the Dodgers Opening Day Starter.  That gave Clayton about six weeks to prepare, but it’s pretty heady stuff for a recently turned 23 year-old.  But not Clayton Kershaw.  He proved Mattingly’s trust in his was well-founded by throwing 7 innings of 4 hit, 9 strikeout (1 BB) dominant baseball.  He was certainly better than Lincecum, but Clayton didn’t have his “mid-season stuff.”  I’ve seen him with better stuff, but I haven’t seen him be a better pitcher.  Clayton again played the role as “Giant Killer” last night – something that could set the theme for the season. [...]