Hide and go Seek…

That’s the game Frank McCourt is now playing with Tom Schieffer right about now. Let’s be clear about this:  Bud can’t just kick Frank out and take over the Dodgers.  He has to “get the goods” on Frank and that is precisely what Tom Schieffer is doing.  They know what they are looking for, and if the IRS or State of California Department of Taxation were to indict McCourt, then this could be over in a heartbeat.  If you are a Dodger fan, you should hope for that, because unless they find some dirt (I mean REAL dirt) on Frank, this thing could go on for a while.

Frank is going to met with MLB officials this week to try and get them to approve his TV deal with FOX which is allegedly worth about $125 million a year.  While not a lucrative as originally reported, it is pretty good and certainly could help the Dodgers immensely.  The problem is that MLB wants all of it to go to the Dodgers and even Ray Charles can see that won’t happen if McCourt gets the money.  It’s been reported that there’s a big upfront payment, presumably to payoff Jamie.  Therein is the rub.  The question is:  Can they stop him?

Here’s what I fear – MLB will approve the deal with the trustee overseeing the administration of this new deal and the McCourt saga could drag on for years.  I’m of the opinion that Bud needs to deny the deal, wait for the lawsuit, counter-sue, and take over the Dodgers in the “best interests of baseball.”   It will cost MLB, but I will tell you that Frank won’t die easily.  Bud, you need to end this quickly.  Pull the trigger!  I am just afraid that he won’t fight Frank and that this could be a long tenuous journey.  So, in a nutshell, I am afraid that Bud can’t do anything and will.  How’s that for an answer?

Back to baseball:

• I predicted it might take Loney until May to heat up, but after 4-4 on Tuesday, Heeeeeee’s Baaaaaack!
  • Jansen is also back after early season struggles.
  • Clayton is mortal!  Really!
  • Sands ain’t going back to AAA!
  • I still say Broxton’s problems are from the neck-up!  He needs a change of scenery.
  • In 2012, the Dodgers need to move in the fences 10 feet – 10 stinking feet!  That’s all!  10 feet!
  • The Dodgers AAA farm Club in Pittsburgh claimed X-Paul.  Good luck X!
  • Andre Ethier has been superb and Matt Kemp is becoming legendary – now if the rest of the team can just step up…
  • Lots of good stuff happening in the minors right now.  Thanks for keeping us up to date, Jared.
  • Ned is certainly on the hot seat, but those who say Mattingly is forget where his last boss works!
  • A new owner would want his own GM, but the manager could stay.
  • Logan White?  He’s a candidate to replace Ned, which may be why they aren’t best buds!  Kim Ng could be in that running to.
  • James Loney (.204) has a higher batting average than Carlos Santana (.200).  Nobody has been beating the Santana drum much, have they?
  • Andrew Lambo = .203 at AAA Indianapolis, yawn.
  • James MCDonald = 10.13 ERA – sick!
  • Finally, I mentioned a couple of years ago that Joe Mauer likely won’t catch long.  Well, it looks like he’s headed to RF soon.

27 Responses to “Hide and go Seek…”

1. the truth hurts says:

Good post mark, you are the fricken man!

I’m feeling kinda Blue today but a strong outing by Bills would change everything.

I second the Fricken man motion…..

Sands has arrived, James got the monkey off his back and Kenley saysjust give me the fricken ball.

P.S. There is no way Bud will approve the deal

You mentioned McDonald and Lambo, but you forgot to mention Anthony Jackson. You mentioned Santana, but say nothing about Martin.

Yes, it will be a battle for control of the Los Angeles Dodgers. It already has been a battle and some of us predicted most all of this as soon as we read about the divorce. This could drag on for a while – which is exactly why this needs to end this quickly. Bud and MLB recognize that. The longer McCourt stays as owner the longer the Dodgers will remain mediocre. A t.v. deal with Fox won’t help. That money will go to lawyers, Jamie, Jamie’s lawyers, the IRS, other debt loads, more lawyers and the new bimbo in the limo. Frank is a loser. Everyone knows that. Well, almost everyone. Everybody wants him gone. Well, almost everybody.

Help in the minors? Has the Top 100 Prospects list been updated? Sands looks like a player, so Robinson is staying put. So is Loney. Gordon had a much higher prospect ranking, get him here to take over Furcal’s job.

Lakers woke up. I wonder if they wall fall asleep again in New Orleans. At times they look kinda old.

6. AnewBlueDay says:

Mark said: “In 2012, the Dodgers need to move in the fences 10 feet – 10 stinking feet! That’s all! 10 feet!”

For several years I have made the suggestion that the Dodgers re-do or re-tool the outfield fence. To bring it in, but take the cookie cutter perfect dimensions out and vary it. BUILD SOME LOWER BOXES IN THAT NEW EXTENSION TOWARD HOME PLATE with a lower wall. Like in Baltimore’s left and right center fields. That would get the fans in the picture.

Here is a picture of Baltimore’s outfield fence –

click on the picture to make it larger.

That, my friends would put fans more in the game, make for some exciting catches, and more fans in the park — with a great view. They could make them like box seats.

casey blake could be out a month.

i would use that month to play uribe at 3b, and idj at 2b to see what he can do.

That is likely what will happen Bobby. DeJesus gets his shot. Maybe he will be so good, we will be forced to use Blake as a ph. Well, that’s good news bad news isn’t it.

Game on. Gotta get to it.

9. Ray says:

Olney reported today the MLB wants McCourt out…..whatever that means….I don’t see this lasting long.

Who is our closer?

10. AnewBlueDay says:

My-o-my but the Marlins hit Billingsley hard in the 2nd inning. He did not fool them at all. 4 zip.

Thought I heard Lyons say, Dodger hitters have hit 18 HRs this season so far, but Dodger pitchers have given up 30 HRs. I just checked the stats; he is right.

There needs to be an investigation.

Can J-Brox come in an save the game or will Don send in someone else?

Don says that Broxton is his closer, however Vincente Padilla is going to close today. Jon didn’t pitch yesterday so what does this mean? It’s not a 3 run lead so Donny has no trust? Here we go…..

Vicente Padilla closes the door 1-2-3

14. WillieMays says:

Broxton ain’t the closer no matter what Donnie says.

brox needs to learn how to close the refrigerator door first

Wait for the spin…. Donnie was “giving Broxton the day off”. Bottom line is Padilla will be saving the majority of the games from here on in. The sad thing is what does this do to Broxton’s already sinking trade value?

I think I heard it here but there is no excuse for this guy coming in this badly out of shape!When I was in Glendale most folks around me commented how overweight he looked. I thought it was just my eyes. Put him on the DL have him mix in a salad or 4 a day. Can a team force P90X on someone? LOL!

While I’m at it. Thanks for showing up big Ivan DeJesus Jr. Bases loaded strike out in a spot to shine. The bat flipping looked good though!

17. SpokaneBob says:

Nice defensive play by De Jesus to end the game. I also hope he can hit and establish himself as our everyday 2b. If so, it makes it easier to bring in Dee Gordon next year. I think they would make an excellant DP combo.

I don’t like the throwback uniforms the Dodgers picked. With the passing of the Duke, it would have been more appropreate to use the 1955 uniforms from the Boys of Summer.

Is Casey on the dl yet?

Broxton will still close in the 9th if we are up by 3+ runs, however someone had better be warming up.

Bobby, pretty funny.

Romo, I agree with most, juries still out on DeJesus for me however.

19. AnewBlueDay says:

Bob, they probably ordered those throw-back uniforms a year ago, when Duke was still with us.

20. AnewBlueDay says:

Mark, I must steal your thunder.

Boy, is that Ethier soft. Only two hits today. Just two. And the last one, only a HR. But it took the ball so very long to get out of the ball park, and it did not go very deep. That is because Ethier is so soft.

And looking at this hitting stats for March and April — Mark, do you realize he did not get a hit on April 1st. No hit. Went zero for four. Why, because he is soft.

And, only in 10 games did he get 2 or more hits. That is not very much. Soft again.

Other things to prove he is soft — no stolen bases, no triples, only 9 doubles. He was not even hit by the pitcher (because he would probably cry, he is so soft). He did not have any sacrifice hits, no sac flies.

Gee, I hope the Dodgers do not get any more players as soft as Ethier.

21. The Bunny Rabbit Inside Broxton's Soul says:

I’d find it hard pressed to find anyone on the planet who doesn’t believe that right now Broxton isn’t right and is sorely lacking in confidence.

My issue with Mark is this feeling that Broxton never had the mental makeup to be a closer. Mark says we should’ve traded Broxton three years ago. I’ll tell you this…if we would’ve traded Broxton three years ago we would’ve had zero playoff series wins and we may not have made the playoffs at all. Everyone talks about Broxton and the issues with the Phillies. Those are legitimate… but I also remember sitting in the stands in the close out Game Three against the Cubs, when Broxton came in with a 3-1 lead and annihilated the cubs to send the Dodgers to the second round. Stop pretending he doesn’t have a history of coming through in big games. He did it against the Cubs and against the Cardinals the following year

This is what i believe is the main difference between the two sides of the Broxton camp. There is Mark and the truthhurts side which is Broxton never had the mental makeup to be an effective closer and that he choked in every important game he’s pitched in. they say his stuff isn’t good because he’s mentally weak.

Then there’s everyone else who says… he was never mentally weak. That his confidence decreased when the effectiveness of his stuff decreased. We can argue this point until the cows come home. But that Yankee game monstrosity last year really messed with Broxton.

I think there’s something physically wrong with him and I hope he gets it worked out, but if not, I’m okay with moving on. We actually got pretty good and effective use of Broxton for his Dodger career.

22. Corey says:

Clearly there is something wrong with Broxton. Whether it’s mental or physical, he’s not the same guy he was early last year and the years prior. He used to regularly hit 96-98, with a 90-91 mph slider. He’s now hitting 92-94 with his fastball and only 88-89 with the slider. I’ve heard them say that he’s taking some off to “pitch” instead of throw and hit his spots. The problem is he’s not hitting his spots with the reduce velocity. He’s all over the place and you can’t throw a straight fastball at 94, and a mediocre slider when you can’t hit your spots.

As I predicted in this blog earlier, MLB has nixed Franks deal. I’m not saying it’s over, I’m “just sayin” Bud says NO!

Of immediate concern is the infield. When Casey goes on the DL, I don’t think Russ Mitchell is the answer, which would ensure Miles would be starting til who knows when and Jamey could use a breather.
    HELP, Mr. Wizard