That’s the game Frank McCourt is now playing with Tom Schieffer right about now. Let’s be clear about this: Bud can’t just kick Frank out and take over the Dodgers. He has to “get the goods” on Frank and that is precisely what Tom Schieffer is doing. They know what they are looking for, and if the IRS or State of California Department of Taxation were to indict McCourt, then this could be over in a heartbeat. If you are a Dodger fan, you should hope for that, because unless they find some dirt (I mean REAL dirt) on Frank, this thing could go on for a while.
Frank is going to met with MLB officials this week to try and get them to approve his TV deal with FOX which is allegedly worth about $125 million a year. While not a lucrative as originally reported, it is pretty good and certainly could help the Dodgers immensely. The problem is that MLB wants all of it to go to the Dodgers and even Ray Charles can see that won’t happen if McCourt gets the money. It’s been reported that there’s a big upfront payment, presumably to payoff Jamie. Therein is the rub. The question is: Can they stop him?
Here’s what I fear – MLB will approve the deal with the trustee overseeing the administration of this new deal and the McCourt saga could drag on for years. I’m of the opinion that Bud needs to deny the deal, wait for the lawsuit, counter-sue, and take over the Dodgers in the “best interests of baseball.” It will cost MLB, but I will tell you that Frank won’t die easily. Bud, you need to end this quickly. Pull the trigger! I am just afraid that he won’t fight Frank and that this could be a long tenuous journey. So, in a nutshell, I am afraid that Bud can’t do anything and will. How’s that for an answer?
Back to baseball:
- I predicted it might take Loney until May to heat up, but after 4-4 on Tuesday, Heeeeeee’s Baaaaaack!
- Jansen is also back after early season struggles.
- Clayton is mortal! Really!
- Sands ain’t going back to AAA!
- I still say Broxton’s problems are from the neck-up! He needs a change of scenery.
- In 2012, the Dodgers need to move in the fences 10 feet – 10 stinking feet! That’s all! 10 feet!
- The Dodgers AAA farm Club in Pittsburgh claimed X-Paul. Good luck X!
- Andre Ethier has been superb and Matt Kemp is becoming legendary – now if the rest of the team can just step up…
- Lots of good stuff happening in the minors right now. Thanks for keeping us up to date, Jared.
- Ned is certainly on the hot seat, but those who say Mattingly is forget where his last boss works!
- A new owner would want his own GM, but the manager could stay.
- Logan White? He’s a candidate to replace Ned, which may be why they aren’t best buds! Kim Ng could be in that running to.
- James Loney (.204) has a higher batting average than Carlos Santana (.200). Nobody has been beating the Santana drum much, have they?
- Andrew Lambo = .203 at AAA Indianapolis, yawn.
- James MCDonald = 10.13 ERA – sick!
- Finally, I mentioned a couple of years ago that Joe Mauer likely won’t catch long. Well, it looks like he’s headed to RF soon.