Frank McCourt Is Not Gone… Yet!

Frank McCourt Is Not Gone… Yet!

It’s like celebrating when you have run the football back 95 yards and only have 5 yards left.  You haven’t scored yet!  Quit celebrating!

Dodger fans are currently dancing in the streets, reveling on blogs,  singing “ding-dong the witch is dead“  and spitting on Frank McCourt’s grave.  Nice idea, Except that Frank isn’t dead yet.

The headlines in the newspapers say “MLB Takes Over Dodgers,” but Bug Selig said this:

“Pursuant to my authority as Commissioner, I informed Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt today that I will appoint a representative to oversee all aspects of the business and the day-to-day operations of the Club. I have taken this action because of my deep concerns regarding the finances and operations of the Dodgers and to protect the best interests of the Club, its great fans and all of Major League Baseball. My office will continue its thorough investigation into the operations and finances of the Dodgers and related entities during the period of Mr. McCourt’s ownership. I will announce the name of my representative in the next several days.”

Read the part I have marked in BOLD very carefully.

Shock writers like T.J. Simers and Bill Plaschke wrote that the Dodgers had been taken over by MLB.   Radio and TV reports covered the “takeover.“    As usual, Slimers and Factscheme were wrong – you can almost always predict that the truth is a  full 180 from what they write.

The beating of a Giants’ fan at Chavez Ravine was appalling, more appalling than the shock writers trying to pin it on McCourt.  I knew it, that Frank is a gang-banger and beats up fans after the games for kicks! More level-headed writers admitted that stuff like that can happen anywhere, already has and does.  Knock it off morons!

I have been to games in San Francisco, Oakland, St. Louis, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Atlanta and LA.  I have seen bad stuff in nearly every park, but when you are trying to jack up sagging newspaper ratings and save your job, you tend to write to appeal to your readership… “damn the facts!  Dodger fans hate Frank McCourt, so I’ll write about that.  Maybe they will buy more newspapers and maybe I’ll have a job next week.”  Sucker!

See, I don’t care what you think.   I’m not selling newspapers.  I’m going to give you my take, and when CBS News in LA wanted the scoop, they came to the source:  Mark Timmons!  (Smile). They had to go to a guy from Indiana to find out the truth.  They didn’t call Plaschke or Simers.  Who ya’ gonna’ call?

OK, seriously.  I write garbage (as some say), but I predicted that McCourt would do exactly what he has done.  Some of you may say that Bud showed him who was boss.  NOT REALLY! Frank is still running the team.  Bud is going to name a representative to oversee the operations of the Dodgers.  The reality is that any expenditure over $5,000 will have to be approved by that representative (I stop short of calling that person a  “trustee” although it might be a good idea to appoint a bankruptcy trustee, in my opinion).  That’s it.

Ned still reports to Frank and so on and so on.   Bug Selig needs to appoint a person with a business, accounting and legal background, and I know a guy, but he has a definite bias against McCourt.  Come to think about it – I can’t say if Frank is good or bad… maybe both!

Frank is allegedly waiting to see who the representative is before he makes a decision to file suit.  How about Michael Milken?

Here’s the deal:  Bud has not turned down the deal Frank has with FOX, allegedly in the $3 Billion realm for 20 years, with nearly $400,000,000 upfront (presumably to pay Jamie and use the rest for operations).

The reality of the situation is that nothing major has happened… YET!  Bug is sending in his representative to see if he can get enough dirt on Frank to oust him.  The IRS is allegedly checking Frank out (that came from a fish hack so I can’t verify it).  There’s a lot of the game to be played yet.

Everyone assumes that Frank will be forced to sell the Dodgers – and he may, but it’s a long way from that, unless someone uncovers something really bad in the process.

Bud will have to rule on the contract with FOX sooner or later.  Who knows what can happen?  All I can tell you is that it is probably far from over.  Read the newspaper if you want to feel good.  Read this if you want the truth!

For the record – I wish Bud could take it away tomorrow and sell the Dodgers to the highest bidder on Monday.

That’s a fairy tale!

Frank and Bug - Compliments of TMZ

12 Responses to “Frank McCourt Is Not Gone… Yet!”

Anyone ever go to a Raider game? Sorry Raider fans but I can’t think of worse acting fans in all of Sports. Certainly, any intelligent person isn’t going to blame McCourt for the opening day beating, however having his children on the payroll of the Dodgers with no formal job functions for the club is a concern for any Dodger fan. Funneling money into their family and hawking the future of the team for their own pleasure is sickening. Having several players still getting their salaries paid by the Dodgers that have not been involved with the team for three years is also a problem. And trying to hawk TV/cable rights further into the future to make the current payroll is a problem. This isn’t a life or death situation as the crisis in Libya, but it does have a similar feeling.

• Miguel says:

Mark was right, I came here when I wanted to hear the real story. It’s been a while since I’ve commented. But I have to add that our pain has just begun, http://dodgersbaseballnews.com/why-the-pain-has-just-begun-for-dodgers-fans/. Frank has all the advantages right now and will make this process VERY messy. He has separated the land around the stadium from the team, they came as a package deal but through legal maneuvering MLB now has no control over the land and parking lot. So even if they TAKE the team away, he’ll kill them on the lot! Plus he’ll sue Selig personally and waste more millions on that.

2. RogerCraig says:

I am totally with you Mark. You want McCourt gone but don’t think it will happen.

3. ebbetsfld says:

To blame McCourt for the beating the Giant fan took is foolish. To blame McCourt for bleeding the Dodgers dry to buy his mansions and pay exorbitant salaries to family members who did nothing to earn them is probably accurate. I believe Selig was absolutely justified to take the action he has, and I suspect the results of IRS investigation will be the final nail in McCourt’s coffin. Meanwhile we haven’t lost since this went down and I’m loving that!

Everyone else is saying that McCourt is still the owner, but he is not making any decisions. I have been reading about this everywhere I can, and this place remains the only place in the blogosphere or in the newspapers that says this isn’t the beginning of the end for McCourt. It might take a while, but I regurgitate, which means to repeat, MLB owners want him gone, the Commissioner of MLB wants him gone, every Dodger fan West of the Mississipi wants him gone. IF he survives this, with half the down payment he gets from Fox going to Jamie, the other half to service his lifestyle and debt load, the Dodgers as a highly competitive franchise are done for the next decade.

Mark, why don’t you join the rest of Blue America and support the idea of a new owner? Congress approval rating is at 16% right now. What do you suppose McCourt approval rating is? 1%? Maybe as high as 2%?

Everyone inside of baseball knows what the right thing to do is. Selig must force a sale. I’ll bet his office is flooded with mail supporting what he is doing.

$3 billion over 20 years sounds like a lot of money. I’m guessing that it’s BELOW market value. A $billion doesn’t go as far as it used to. And what will it be worth in the out years of the contract? News Corp. clearly knows that Frank is desperate, and they clearly don’t want to lose the Dodger market, and will do whatever they can to keep another regional network from getting started. Done the right way, a regional network is probably worth a lot more than $3 billion over 20 years. A lot more.

Besides, why should revenue meant for the Dodgers be used to fund a McCourt divorce settlement, when the sale of the team could do the same?

Selig is no idiot, the people around him are not idiots, and the other owners aren’t idiots. The action taken by MLB you can rest assured was thought through thoroughly over a period of several months. It may have been announced suddenly, but certainly it’s been planned for a quite a while. And if the IRS piece is accurate, and if California intends to press the matter regarding the payment of a quarter of the funds from the Dodgers’ charity to the executive running it, then McCourt likely has more to worry about than just losing the Dodgers. Something tells me that MLB is intent upon a full cross press that may even force the litigious Mr. McCourt to acquiesce.

6. Corey says:

Why can’t you guys just give McCourt a chance. His new PR man says that he has changed and won’t take a 100 or 300 or 400 million out of the team revenue for his own personal use anymore…..really!

Why can’t you all just believe him. Just because he’s pillaged the revenues for the last 6-7 years, every year, doesn’t mean he’ll ever do it again.
    (all sarcastic by the way)
    REMOVE MCCOURT ASAP

7. the truth hurts says:

hey hey, ho ho, jon broxton and frank mccourt got to go!!!!!!!

mccourt is DUNZO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Steve Lyons correct about the call on James Loney being a bad call or was Loney correctly given an error for obstruction? Where is Badger?

I’m here……. ion’tkno……… dint seeit.

10. ray guilfoyle says:

from Olney this morning:

Many folks within the sport believe that Dennis Gilbert will wind up as part of the group that owns the Dodgers — assuming that Frank McCourt’s days as Dodgers owner are over.

11. Ursus Indomitus says:

I won’t be happy until I see McCourt swinging from a yardarm.