What I Saw

What I Saw

That crazy guy looks lost. Hey, who is that?

The Dodgers lost to the lowly Royals 11-5, but let’s not forget that the Royals are rated #1 by Baseball America with the most prospects.  In fact, they are loaded – that’s what averaging 96 losses over the past ten years does for you.   They have a bunch of arms and MOST of the runs given up by Dodger pitching were given up by four pitchers with NO CHANCE of making the team.  Scott Elbert is the only Dodger pitcher who gave up any runs who still has a chance at making the team (and his opportunity is now waning).

I like this teams’ attitude.

Face it, Spring Training Won-Loss Records mean nothing, but attitude does.

This team is hungry and is going about their business with a tenacity not seen last year.

Aaron Miles and Juan Castro have been there before and both are trying to make the team, although probably only one has a shot.  Jamie Hoffman and Jerry Sands continue to impress and Justin Sellers is trying as well (he’s still in the running).  Andre Ethier (great running catch after a late start) and Matt Kemp and James Loney appear to be seeking retribution (and that’s a wonderful thing).  The Dodger starters, including Tim Redding, who is emerging as the #6 starter (so far), have not given up a run.

Against the Royals, the Dodgers had three starters among position players:  Kemp, Loney and Ethier.  Right now, it’s all about getting into shape and getting your legs.   I am very pleased with Donnie, and in case you missed it-  Matt Kemp gave an endorsement to Mattingly and dissed Torre by saying something to the effect that “we mirror our manager.”

23 Responses to “What I Saw”

I’m not going to say who that is…

RD

Hint

4. Voldomer says:

Is he wearing “anew” jersey? ;-)

Does that mean he’s handing over the photography to you?

Nice piece on Thames.

Sounds like a good guy. Hope it’s all true.

7. Willie Mays says:

Dream on

8. artie says:

Justin Sellers is making this team! Just watch!

9. DodgerDude says:

Artie,

I keep hearing you write about Sellers. I used to think you were wacked, Dude, but maybe he might. Just maybe, Dude.

10. AnewBlueDay says:

Voldy, are you saying he is wearing MY jersey (“anew”).

11. Jae says:

Rock the Reds!

12. AnewBlueDay says:

I know that Spring Training is to get ready for the real Season.

But — are these Dodger hitters taking batting practice yet??

Can any of them hit the ball fair??

Maybe Ned needs to take a look at some of the KC minor leaguers.

13. Willie Mays says:

If the Dodgers could lose 96 games a year for 10 years in a row, they could have all those prospects too. Go for it! I dare you.

man i wish i could’ve seen RDLR throw tonight.

15 pitches in 2 innings. 1 hit, 3 k’s. that’s efficient.

BlueDay,

Take heart. The lineups have not exactly been a facsimile of what we’ll be seeing when the bell rings to begin the season. Tonight for example, no Kemp, no Ethier, no Loney. Not to mention the starters who didn’t play the whole game. It’s early. Worry if the Dodgers hit consistently like this after the season begins.

Nice piece on Jansen. Given his limited pitching experience, it’s very conceivable that he will continue to get better as he refines his game, and adds pitches. He certainly has the tools.

Let’s suppose Broxton gets it back together and has a great first half. Given his free agent status after the season, that could make him a prime candidate for a trade to a team looking for a closer rental at the trading deadline. A trade like that would become more viable if Jansen and Kuo were also having stellar seasons, along with the rest of the bullpen. Who knows, maybe even RDLR could be contributing in the bullpen come mid-season.

“15 pitches in 2 innings. 1 hit, 3 k’s. that’s efficient.” I agree Bobby. I’d also guess that it indicates really good stuff.

16. AnewBlueDay says:

Brooklyn, my remark earlier is this — having listened and watch most of the games this spring (which is not many and still early Spring Training) — I do not even see the guys hitting hard foul balls.

Other teams, stars and scrubs, are hitting “some” line drives.

Such as the Brewers-A’s games yesterday had 8 HRs.

The Rangers-Indians games had 20 runs.

Giants-Rockies had 12 runs.

Rnagers-Cubs had 15.

So — I comment, are the Dodgers taking batting practice yet???

I talk in jest of course. But after last year — we fans want to believe, we hope — after the long winter — that “these” Dodgers have turned it around and are ready to play, with a new upbeat attitude.

So hit the ball already!!! Even a foul ball.

Randy Keisler. Are the batting machines already broken at Camelback. Career ERA is 6.63. Come on Ned, play the lotto instead.

18. AnewBlueDay says:

Two years ago, Mark and I were in those batting cages at Camelback Ranch — and I struck him out four times. At least that is what I remember.