When Jerry Sands gets sent to AAA this year (and he will), he will become the everyday 3B there and will surface later this season as the Dodgers new third baseman. He has the arm, he has the bat, he has the athleticism to be a third-baseman. He just needs the experience. That’s my opinion.
I’m just saying this on a whim – I’m saying it because I know that there are Dodger front-office personnel who think he would be a fine 3B and lest we forget, the Dodgers have little in the pipeline at 3B. We shall see…
- The Dodger Way of Playing Baseball is Alive and Well and Davey Lopes is spreading the Gospel. - Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com
- Yankee Eric Chavez is hitting .370 with a .414 OB% in 27 AB’s for the Yanks, but is playing 1B almost exclusively.
- Josh Bell is hitting .222 with no HR and 3 RBI this Spring. So far, he has been about what I figured.
- Andy LaRoche is still hitting at a .314 clip with an over .400 OB%. That’s what I expected from him, but so far, I’ve been dead wrong.
- Carlos Santana is up to .286, but hasn’t exhibited any power yet.
- I think it would be a mistake to leave Xavier Paul off the team. I have a feeling this guy is going to be a solid player. So, I would carry these additional outfielders: Gwynn, Thames and Paul. That would mean only two infield utility-men – Carroll and Miles.
Roster So Far:
That leaves three spots undecided. If Blake is healthy, he takes one and only two spots are left. If Casey starts on the DL, then that opens the door for Castro or maybe DeJesus (if he could get hot the last week). I don’t see Sellers making it.
That leaves two spots: One pitcher – Mahay, Elbert, Ely or Redding and that will be determined the last week. If I had to predict, I would say it is ELY. One position player – Could it be Trent Oeltjen or Gabe Kapler?
I will arrive in Phoenix Friday Evening. I may have a treat or two in store for you. I have a new hi-res video camera (they filmed an episode of HOUSE with this one). Jared will come back to life then too.
I really shouldn’t be going as my business has been growing 15-20% a month (we increased 106% last year alone) and to complicate things, I recently had to fire two customer service reps and a third just left on maternity leave. I have a new Customer Service Manager moving from Phoenix on April 18th, but we are really short-handed. However, it’s the Dodgers – I must go and the show must go on!