With a little over a week to go in Spring Training, a few things have shaped up and other things are taking shape. Here’s what I see:
- With Casey Blake on the DL to begin the season, I think that Aaron Miles Miles has made the team. The only question is: WHO ELSE?
- Hector Gimenez has shown promise as a reserve and has demonstrated he can play 1B, C and LF – the fact that he can be a third catcher should ice the deal. That, and he has some really cool music playing when he comes to bat. I have no clue who or what it is – can anyone tell me? I have him on the team.
- I also have X-Paul on the team. He played a credible CF Tuesday and his bat, speed and the fact he is LF and out of options means he HAS to make this team.
- Jay Gibbons, Tony Gwynn, Jr. and X-Paul will all make the team (6 outfielders, but Gibbons and Thames can play 1B as well).
- Juan Castro can make the team if the Dodgers keep 11 pitchers for the first two weeks.
- Ellis will go back to AAA as will Kapler (for a while).
Who I think is on the roster:
- Loney – 1B
- Uribe – 2B, SS, 3B
- Furcal – SS
- Carroll – 2B, SS, 3B
- Ethier – RF
- Kemp – CF
- Thames – LF, `1B
- Barajas – C
- Navarro – C
- Paul – OF
- Miles – 3B, SS, 2B
- Giminez – C, 1B, LF
- Gwynn – OF
- Castro – 1B, 2B, 3B, SS
DL – Blake, Padilla, Garland (both Garland and Padilla are close)
Now, there is an outside chance that the Dodgers could let Gibbons or Paul walk. Either one… Who knows?
There is also a chance I left someone off or put Thames in RF (as pointed out last week), so feel free to correct me if I left someone off.
I am going to give props to the beat writers, fish hacks or whatever you want to call them. They have a tough job – they have to walk about 10 miles a day tracking down stories and they are always on the hunt. I have a new name for Ken Gurnick, who I swear is triplets:
“Savwafair is everywhere!”