The roster shapes up

The roster shapes up

With a little over a week to go in Spring Training, a few things have shaped up and other things are taking shape.  Here’s what I see:

Davey Lopes - Happy Back in LA

• With Casey Blake on the DL to begin the season, I think that Aaron Miles Miles has made the team.  The only question is:  WHO ELSE?
  • Hector Gimenez has shown promise as a reserve and has demonstrated he can play 1B, C and LF – the fact that he can be a third catcher should ice the deal.  That, and he has some really cool music playing when he comes to bat.  I have no clue who or what it is – can anyone tell me?  I have him on the team.
  • I also have X-Paul on the team.  He played a credible CF Tuesday and his bat, speed and the fact he is LF and out of options means he HAS to make this team.
  • Jay Gibbons, Tony Gwynn, Jr. and X-Paul will all make the team (6 outfielders, but Gibbons and Thames can play 1B as well).
  • Juan Castro can make the team if the Dodgers keep 11 pitchers for the first two weeks.
  • Ellis will go back to AAA as will Kapler (for a while).

Who I think is on the roster:

1. Loney – 1B
  20. MacDougal
  21. Elbert
  22. Guerrier
  23. Broxton
  24. Kuo
  25. Jansen

DL – Blake, Padilla, Garland (both Garland and Padilla are close)

Now, there is an outside chance that the Dodgers could let Gibbons or Paul walk.  Either one…  Who knows?

There is also a chance I left someone off or put Thames in RF (as pointed out last week), so feel free to correct me if I left someone off.

I am going to give props to the beat writers, fish hacks or whatever you want to call them.  They have a tough job – they have to walk about 10 miles a day tracking down stories and they are always on the hunt.   I have a new name for Ken Gurnick, who I swear is triplets:

“Savwafair is everywhere!”

21 Responses to “The roster shapes up”

1. Joshua says:

Only issue is who is #5 starter in that mix? And I would be shocked if Giminez and Navarro both make the team.

Ray,

RDLR has a real chance of coming up sometime later this season. However, there is no way he’s opening the season in LA. They love his fastball and change, but want him to work on developing a breaking pitch. And I’m sure they want him working further on command and other fine points of pitching. And furthermore, they likely want to keep a lid on his innings this year. That’s all best done in the less pressurized world of minor league baseball.

Finally, keep in mind that he did have some shoulder tenderness this spring. It’s best I think to slow things down, and err on the side of caution. But in anticipation that he might eventually be brought up later, they’re going to give him a taste of the big leagues by using him in one of their final exhibition games in LA.

3. andre says:

The Dodgers don’t need a fifth starter until April 12th

Wow this picture above is like a California Condor! A smile on Davey Lopes face?!?! That is rare! I don’t know if I have seen that in alomst 30 yrs!

• Mark_Timmons says:

Romo,

Three things:

1. Davey has mellowed

2. Davey is back where he always wanted to be

3. Davey loves Tommy.

5. andre says:

How about Troncoso over Juan Castro’s spot (Carroll and Uribe can play SS in a pinch)

or troncoso over Macdougal, whose never been halfway decent in his career, or Elbert/Hawksworth

• Mark_Timmons says:

Troncoso looks like an arsonist right now. He has options and needs to go to AAA and work on sinking his sinker.

Castro? Keep him or lose him. He has looked good and is hitting.

Tough decisions.

6. Willie Mays says:

MacDougal hasn’t given up a run yet. The guy deserves a shot.

7. Bootz says:

Go blue! But what a weak roster.

8. Joe says:

Yes Elbert and MacDougal have passed Troncosso who hasn’t looked good since early spring. Darn that Castro, if he could only hit during the regular season like he is this spring. Maybe he will have a career year at age 38 if they keep him. So does Eugenio Valez make the team by starting on the DL or can he be cut now since he is hurt? Don’t think he would have made the roster anyway.

9. Ron Shafer says:

Dodgers fans take heart. The Brooklyn team that became the Dodgers had an even worse time in the team’s very first spring training in 1890 in St. Augustine, Fla., as you can see on my website http://www.brooklyndodgershistory.com. But they won the N.L. pennant in ’90, as you can see in coming book When the Dodgers Were Bridegrooms, the first book devoted entirely to the creation of the team and its first pennants in 1889 and 1890.

10. the truth hurts says:

We should keep halladay, lee, hamels, oswalt and blanton.

Wait a minute

11. TroyFromWV says:

I still have a hard time believing the Dodgers are going to give up on Gibbons over a bad spring.

The only way I see him not on the Opening Day roster is if they do one of those phantom DL things over eyesight (or whatever) and let him get some more “rehab” AB’s in extended spring training.

Juan Castro’s a good guy and all, but if he’s on the team for the entire season I think we’re screwed.

12. DodgerDude says:

I hope the Dodgers do not keep Gibbons and Castro.

13. TroyFromWV says:

You asked me how I was doing in an earlier post. OK, I suppose.

I got off with the phone with head of security at the Great American Ballpark a few minutes ago.

Explained to him how my Dad always took me to Cincinnati to see the Dodgers back in the day.

Told him I had 4 kids ages 8 – 10 and was hoping I could take them to Cincinnati like my Father did with me. I told him I wouldnt be drinking any beer, of course. He seemed to understand my plight, but said he would have to review the file and call me back.

Can’t say I feel too good about my chances. When it became apparent I wouldnt get my $600 worth of property back I cussed those cops like you wouldnt believe underneath the Stadium.

Anyways, maybe I’ll know shortly if I’ll be at the GAB the 1st weekend in June.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Cut off the mutton-chops. Grow a close-cropped goatee. Get a Marine \”Jarhead Haircut\” and walk with a cane. No one will know.

;)

• TroyFromWV says:

If it’s a no, I’ll probably do something like that in 2012. I can’t this year because I’m still on probation until late February 2012.

(Yepper, I do bring in my paystubs every month so I’m, and I quote, “not sitting at home doing nothing and breaking into peoples houses.”)

14. Anonymous says:

I think Castro’s spot goes to Gibbons for more offense and soemtime this year Ivan De Jesus gets the call. I also thinkCormier stays over Elbert, who is still to wild.

15. Mark says:

You left Gibbons off this list. Does that mean you don’t think he’ll make the team? If so, I agree. I think the Dodgers will try to send him to the minors. I don’t think anyone will claim him, so he should get to the minors and get a chance to get used to those new contacts and maybe actually start hitting again.

16. Artieboy says:

What’s the point of naming a team that has Gwynn, Gimenez, Thames, Miles, and Castro playing every infield position? That’s painful. We go forward with what we got. We have a very nice starting rotation and (hopefully) a great bullpen.