The Latest Scuttlebutt

The Latest Scuttlebutt
  • Ron Mahay is gone – probably to peddle his service to the D-Backs since he lives there.
  • Welcome to Los Angeles, Scott Elbert!
  • Ditto for IDJ2!  Between you and me:  the Dodgers are really happy with changes IDJ2 has made since his NO CALLUP SEPTEMBER!
  • Who will be the Dodger’s 5th Starter?  Not Ely!  Not ready.  Not Redding?  No way they guarantee his contract.  I’ll tell you who it will be:  Jon Garland!  If he can go 4, he’s in and he’s pain free right now.
  • Giminez makes the roster.  The bigger question  is whether Ellis will make it.
  • Russ Martin is hitting .214 for the Yanks.   Yawn…
  • If the Yankees don’t pick up Chavez’s option, the Dodgers will.
  • Logan White’s Darkhorse (and maybe fav player) is … Jamie Pedroza.  Logan says he’s a “poor man’s Dustin Pedroida.”
  • Jon Broxton is not a closer but a “GREAT set-up man” according to Dodger insiders who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
  • The difference between Closer and Loser is a C.  Confidence begins with a C.
  • Kenley Jansen has the BIG C – Confidence!
  • Cormier has a good shot at making the team!

12 Responses to “The Latest Scuttlebutt”

The BUTLER did it. Final 4 again, Shazam!

P.S. Jon is the closer until he loses it, whether that is sooner or later remains to be seen. He is the director of the next scene and he is the scriptwriter too.

Hopefully Mark is wrong on this one

2. the truth hurts says:

I can’t wait until thursday

3. Bluenose Dodger says:

Mark – you have spoken before about anonymous sources. I feel the same way about anonymous sources, insiders or not. They do nothing to help the team by issuing opinions that get printed on blogs and get circulated in a whispering campaign. The fact the term, “insiders”, which doesn’t include Logan, is plural, makes it sound as if there is a widespread whispering campaign. That’s far from what Don Mattingly wants to help build a strong, cohesive team. It’s behind the back stuff, not acceptable within a team concept.

Brox is the closer until he losses it, later this year, whenever. Isn’t it time to just let go of it until it plays out however that might be. If he succeeds, we are stronger for it. If not, you can say, “I told you so.”

Talking about Broxton is like beating a dead horse. Everyone who has an opinion will keep that opinion until time tells them otherwise. We’ll just have to wait to see what happens.

Garland starting by April 12th seems a bit of a long shot to me. Obliques are tricky things, and Garland will also need some innings against real hitters in some real games before he’s ready to start. Maybe they can do a start by committee. It definitely won’t be Redding. No way the Dodgers are picking up his $750,000 for one start. It could still be Ely, since he can be called up on a moments notice. Who knows, he might be shuttling back and forth all season.

You might be right about Cormier, since McDougal doesn’t exactly inspire confidence with his on again, off again control. And as much as I would like to see him find his sinker again, Troncoso isn’t inspiring any confidence himself. Where is Ronald Belisario when we need him?

• Dave says:

“Talking about Broxton is like beating a dead horse.”

. . .then don’t participate if you don’t want to beat the dead horse Doughboy. I thought that sports blogs were all about discussing the good and the bad. If Broxton continues to suck as a closer, must we stop the discussion? Must we reserve comment only if he suddenly effectively pitches inside and becomes the closer we all want?

these mcdougal/cormier types don’t excite anybody. even troncoso looks lost out there.

i’m hoping josh lindblom really finds himself cuz he could be that hard throwing young arm that comes up sometime this year to help the bullpen.

Teams never end the season the way they begin them. So yes, Lindblom could be up later this year. And so could RDLR, whose stuff would play very well in the bullpen. Or it could be someone else from the Dodger system or from elsewhere. But to begin the season it’s probably an uninspiring McDougal/Cormier type. Who knows, maybe Troncoso will find himself in ALBQ., although that’s not exactly a place where pitchers find themselves.

• Dave says:

“If Chavez ends up signing with the Dodgers, that’s probably not good news for IDJ2. Chavez would be at 3B, Uribe at 2B, and IDJ2 would probably be in ALBQ., at least to start the year.”

I don’t think the Dodgers will be picking up Chavez. If you don’t believe me, read what was in today’s New York daily News.

“Eric Chavez hit his first homer of the spring, putting the cherry on top of what has been a fantastic spring for the veteran. Chavez, who is hitting .410, is locked in as the backup corner infielder, though the Yankees are unlikely to make it official until Monday.” – from the New York Daily News blog

7. ray guilfoyle says:

Mark,

If I can put words in your mouth-will Jansen be the closer sooner rather than later, where sooner = 2011?

When I look at Uribe – I see injury waiting to happen with that body shape. He looks more like the wrestler type. But if he goes down for a ground ball, drops it, he best look to pick it up, because I can see him stepping on his hand if not.

Now watch him hit .330 with 22 dingers and a bunch of key hits.

So much for what we see.

9. Voldomer says:

I hope Mattingly considers keeping Cormier rather than Elbert despite the LH factor. I know yesterday was just one day out of many, but I have yet to see Elbert have a good outing.

Yes, Belisario’s extracurricular problems have quite a ripple effect. Beyond Kuo and maybe Jansen (who could well have a sophomore slump), I have little confidence in the pen this year. Otherwise I find myself surprisingly optimistic about the offense.

• Mark_Timmons says:

The pen you see now may not be the pen you see later. Hawksworth will be solid out of the pen, as will Guerrier – long relief should be fine.

I expect outstanding things from Kuo and Jansen. Jansen has the mentality of a warrior and is learning how to pitch better every day. I don\’t think he\’ll have another season with a 0.67 ERA, but I do believe it will be below 3.00.

Vicente Padilla will also be a key part of the pen and I think his stuff will play out well there.

If Brox can put it together, then that\’s a big plus, but Mike MacDougal, Redding and Cormier are question marks.

Troncoso is down working on his non-sinker and Lindblom and RDLR are at the ready. I know that Honeycutt is very happy with the staff and let\’s not forget, pitching staffs led by Honey have the lowest ERA in all of baseball over the past 6 years!