The Gloves Are Off…

The Gloves Are Off…

I played nice with others.  I didn’t talk bad about Jon Broxton.  I rooted for him.  I really did.  But, if you think I am going to blast J-Brox for his bad outing – YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

It’s in my DNA.

Stats be damned!  I have been calling for Brox to be traded for at least three years.  Most of you don’t believe it, but I can see the fear in his eyes.  I can smell it.  J-Brox is toast.

He is untradeable.  He will kill this team.  Make the call – DFA him now, Ned!  Blame it on Joe Torre, blame it on the moon, blame it on me for talking bad about him.  w-h-a-t-e-v-e-r!

This is no “knee-jerk reaction.” He has no future in LA.  Maybe he’ll right the ship somewhere else, but the cord needs to be cut.  If Ned had traded him six months ago, he could have gotten a lot.  Now, he gets nothing.

While you are at it, Ned – let Gibbons, Navarro and Redding go.  Go with Thames, Gwynn, Jr. and Paul in the outfield.  Elbert looked better yesterday.  Lindblom is back in the mix.

Thin the herd, Ned!    Navarro IS A LAZY FAT BOY!  Ely needs to be the 5th Starter.  You have too much crap!  Cut bait.  Be bold!

I’m done!

18 Responses to “The Gloves Are Off…”

1. the truth hurts says:

woo hoo! I love it mark… hell, id rather have lance carter or cheryl back in the bullpen than that ox of a woman.

HEY,HEY,HO,HO,JON BROXTONS GOT TO GO!

Amen

3. DodgerDude says:

You are right on, Dude

4. chucky says:

If you saw him pitch it looked like he was working on his breaking pitch and washn’t throwing any heat. Give him ONE more outing, if he blows again, shot him in the back of the head in the middle of the street.

5. SpokaneBob says:

From what I understand the pitchers are in the dead arm stage of spring training. Iam watching it on tape and it seems he has no velosity and he is throwing it down the middle. I wish there was a speed gun on the telecast. We would get nothing for him in a trade, so lets hope he can get it together before the season starts.

6. Dusto says:

weak sauce.

7. Bluenose Dodger says:

Doesn’t make any difference what we think of Broxton. That is, will he rebound or not? For me, he has to be used in the hope that he comes around. If he was not injured,it is incredulous that he would fall so fast.

Right now he will not get us anything, and maybe a demand to pay part of his contract. We have to hope he does rebound so his worth increases. I think we also have to see Kenley Jansen for a while to be sure he can do the job. Kuo can’t be used on consecutive days. It appears that Jansen is the real thing but we won’t know until some time has elapsed with hitters trying to figure him out. He has to be exposed to some higher pressure innings and management must learn how he deals with failure, which happens to all players at times. Until those variables are known, Broxton stays as the closer.

Big ifs – if Broxton pitches well and Jansen appears he can handle the job, Broxton will not be a Dodger in 2012. If he doesn’t pitch well, he won’t be a Dodger at the end of this season. I am certainly pulling for him to turn things around, but my optimism is waning.

When I was at Camelback last weekend. I was suprised how many fans snickered at Broxton when he walked by us. I actually heard someone chant “Ken-Ley Jan-Sen” as Broxton walked by. Almost all of us noticed he looked heavier too. The guy is toast. Yesterdays implosion was just icing on the cake!

Whatever his issue is he can not be the closer going into the season. I am sure Donnie doesn’t want to just throw the guy under the bus but I would say after 1 -2 blown save Broxton is on the DL for some made up reason or he is made to be a 7th inning guy.

Mark, Did the picture come through yet?

BRuss, You have my curiousity. I wonder what BroxTON’s worker’s comp claim would be?

I think we know the real reason why Ned went out and got Matt Guerrier this off season. Between him, Kuo and Jensen the last 3 innings should be covered. As for Jon Broketon, if I find out anything on the workers comp info, I’ll e-mail you DR. If he was working on a curve ball, than that’s not a good pitch for him and he should keep it in the bullpen. If he’s got a dead arm, than why was he having control issues? I hope I’m wrong but there’s only one good reason why he has these melt downs. Mental dwarfisum is the medical term I believe.

10. Joe says:

I am on the fence with Broxton but can easily be pushed over. He is an enigma as he can be dominate at times when he is going good but can be horrible which he is basically all the time now. I remember a game vs the Cards where he came in the 8th and got Pujols to end the inning with runners on 1st and 2nd but then blows the lead in the 9th because he can’t put guys like Allen Craig & Jon Jay away.
    I went to Baseballreferece.com to find the following: For some reason he has no problem with Pujols-3 for 16 .188/Howard 0 for 11/ Tulowitzki-1 for 17 .059 but has problems with Ruiz-4 for 4 6rbi’s/Mora 4 for 5 .800 and Odog (Hudson) 4 for 6 .667

I expressed my views in yesterdays blog on Broxton. Gag! Boo, hiss.
    Today I am just numb from the video of cars, buses and ships looking like toys being swept out to sea many of which had occupants. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

Finding a storyline that is uplifting to me among all the bad news is Jay Gibbons went 0 for 3, is batting point 059 and hopefully is earning himself a ticket out of here. Keep it up, honestly. He should be DQd just for those glasses he is wearing. Looks like a clown.

12. Joe says:

Oh, and I read this on the Dodgers web site -Honeycutt said he has spoken to Broxton about shifting his positioning from the first-base side of the rubber to the third-base side to better command the outside corner and get better extension against right-handed hitters.

“We’ve talked about it, but he hasn’t done it,” Honeycutt said. “He’s open to it. We’ll see where that goes.” –

What the heck is the use of a pitching coach if you’re not going to take advise from him- especially if you are not pitching well.

I didn’t see the game, so I can’t comment on Broxton’s stuff. But as tired as some of you are hearing it, let me remind you again. IT’S SPRING TRAINING!!! I don’t know if it’s an irrational hatred of Broxton, but it’s definitely irrational. After his slow start last year (during the regular season), I was hearing similar stuff regarding Billingsley. If Broxton is toast I need to see it on a regular basis when it counts, not in an early spring game. And in case some of you have forgotten, even good pitchers have bad games.

• Bill Russell says:

Didn’t we see Jon’s performance in the second half of 2010? This doesn’t appear to be a new issue this spring. I don’t think we can say Broxton is a good pitcher just having a bad game as it’s a reoccuring theme for a period of time now. I don’t think many of us are irrational thinkers having half of 2010 and the beginning of spring to see progress from Jon. It also sounds like Jon is reporting to camp over weight and out of shape. If this was my contract year and I fell off a cliff in 2010, I would have reported to camp in shape and I might have worked on another pitch in the off season. If it means making great money in 2012 verses being tossed out of the majors because of control issues or lack of performance, I might have even hired my own trainer in the off season. If Jon doesn’t have the money to do that, I’m sure he could have borrowed some money knowing what this season could mean for his future. If Jon was just resting his arm in the off season, than at least report to camp in sharp. That’s my take and I don’t think it’s irrational hatred. I’m a Dodger fan and why would I hate a good pitcher if he could help us win a championship? I semi agree with Roger about continuing to monitor him thur the spring but if I was the manager, I wouldn’t have him penciled in to be the closer.

• Bill Russell says:

Shape not Sharp. Lastly, If I were Donny, Jon would be on the mop up crew in the bullpen or sent to the minors until he can earn his way back into an important relief role.

bah bah bah, I’m with you Michael. Thoughts and prayers to the people in Japan and to a quick release of Gibbons.

I don’t trade Broxton just yet. I keep him working through Spring Training. Find a reason to keep him extended Spring Training for a couple of weeks. Then send him out for some work in the minors.

Then, bring him up as middle relief, but holding him back if needed.

THEN – there will be one or two teams that do need to make a trade for relief — and come calling TO the Dodgers about Broxton.

That way you trade from a positon of strength.

On the other hand, maybe he is working on that extra pitch and they did not care what he did in the game.

16. Brooklyn Bridegroom says: