K & K: Stone Cold Killers

K & K: Stone Cold Killers

Tuesday, March 22, 2011, Camelback Ranch – I fly home tonight so today’s game is it for me.  Jared will cover the next few days after I leave.

Stone Cold Killers

This morning Jared and I listened to a half an hour of Lasorda and Simers bantering, ridiculing and baiting each other.  It was hilarious.  I wish I had a recording of it – it was priceless.  I’m sure it will be a topic of a soon-to-be-released Page 2.

Chad Moryiama of Memories of Kevin Malone and TrueBlueLa commented yesterday about what I wrote regarding Jon Broxton:

I think most of us fully realize you have never liked Broxton, which is admirable.

The only problem is that you’ve said Broxton isn’t a closer for three years, and you’ve been wrong for the first 2 1/2 years, and now that he has finally struggled for an elongated period of time, you claim you’re right…even though the main issue is that he has lost 5-8 MPH off his fastball.

Just to be clear, it is inaccurate to say that I dislike Jon Broxton without finishing the sentence.

Here’s the accurate statement:  I dislike Jon Broxton as a closer.

I think he’s a second-tier closer.

I love Jon Broxton as a setup man (a highly paid one at that).

I think he might be the best set-up man in baseball.

Dodger Dave presented a very persuasive argument today when he said:

I am going to go with Mark on this one. Broxton appears to be introverted, a man who looks away when he passes you. He does not seek out conversations with strangers. He is reluctant to talk and embarrasses easily. Introverts are fine in situations where everyone is watching them as long as they succeed. If they don’t, their performance deteriorates quickly. I am an introvert, a university counselor. Most counselors are introverts because we tend to handle one-on-one situations well. Extroverts want the spotlight, like on a pitcher’s mound with the game on the line. I can give a speech to 500 people and be fine, but I kick myself for things I said for days afterward. Extroverts don’t tend to overanalyze their performance. They just say “Give me the ball and I’ll kick some butts.” Broxton does fine most of the time, but he has never performed well in the postseason (3 saves, 2 blown saves). The last performance in Philly in 2009 was a killer and he had all off season to get down on himself. In 2010, he was okay until he ran into the Yankees. I think his conditioning is poor and his mental attitude is not conducive to the closer’s spotlight. Whether he is or not, he appears bothered by the attention. I have watched Goose Gossage and other good closers. Goose looked like he would prefer to beat the crap out of hitters rather than pitch to them. The hitters got the message. Last, Broxton is only 26 years old. Introverts get better with age. They learn to handle situations where the spotlight demands it. If the Dodgers give up on him and send him away, be ready to see him perform at a high level 5 years from now. Of course, that assumes he finds the 5 mph he has lost off his fastball.

I couldn’t have said it as well myself, and after gathering more information today, I am going to say that soon Jon Broxton will again be one of the best setup men in baseball.  K & K (Kenley & Kuo) are “Stone-Cold-Killers.”  Those of you who disagree with me on Broxton will wait anxiously to see what plays out, but with Brox as a set-up man and Kenley and Kuo as closers, the back of the Dodgers pen would be awesome.

Jared and I interviewed Logan White today for over an hour (45 minutes of video) which I will release over the next week.  Here’s a few tidbits:

• I’d rather be a Dodger than a GM.”  He said his heart really wasn’t into the interviews.
  • He admitted he was wrong in trying to turn Josh Lindblom into a starter (I said “I told you so!”), and thinks he will be an excellent reliever.
  • He is “Matt Kemp High” on James Baldwin
  • He says that Jansen loves the limelight and has a closers mentality.
  • He’s still high on Kyle Russell and says he can play CF in the majors.  He rates him as an exceptional defender.
  • He says that last years draft may be better than 2002!
  • OK, that’s just to get started.
  • This was one great interview.  Jared was about to crap his pants.  He knows it’s the best baseball day of his life.

Today’s Lineup:

1. Furcal  SS
  2. Paul  CF
  3. Ethier  RF
  4. Uribe 3B
  5. Gibbons 1B
  6. Giminez  LF
  7. Barajas  C
  8. Velez  2B
  9. Billingsley  P

Eric Stephen of TrueBlueLA.com has an excellent piece of the drop in Spring Attendance that falls under the catagory that figures don’t lie, but liars figure.  Good Job, Eric

16 Responses to “K & K: Stone Cold Killers”

Dang, Giminez just gunned down a runner at the plate. Oh, he\’s in LF!

kobe bryant is an introvert, and he’s the best closer maybe ever.

that extrovert/introvert thing doesn’t mean a thing in justifying broxton’s ability to be a lights out closer.

I\’m not sure it\’s accurate to call Kobie an introvert. I know he appears that way (mostly because of the media), but maybe it\’s more than introvert and extrovert. Maybe it\’s the fact that some guys are comfortable taking the last shot (even demanding it) and others are content to be the support for the guy who take that last shot.

Talking about last shots? With each passing game Jay Gibbons is cementing his position as most likely to not make the team. I too like Mark have the inane ability, a sixth sense you might say, to know the difference between good and bad and Jay is off the charts horrendous.
    Hector on the other hand is playing with confidence and people stop to watch him hit. From hitting for average, power, stealing bases and throwing out runners at the plate there is no fricking way this guy is going to be denied. I wouldn’t even be upset if they sat my man James with lefties going or if he’s struggling.

5. RogerCraig says:

To me, Jon Broxton is perfect as a set-up man. I too don’t believe he has a closers’ mentality. Just my two cents.

X. Paul has looked pretty good in CF today. He just made a nice sliding catch.

i too am pretty impressed by this giminez guy. he’s done everything, from catch to 1b to LF. he hits.

i’m gona guess he makes the team. i’m also gona guess gibbons goes back to AAA.

solid outing by bills today

8. ray guilfoyle says:

Mark/Jared-please release some of the video tomorrow, if you have the time. I think our farm system is underrated and could really blossom this season. Thanks for the interview.

9. Anonymous says:

“Broxton appears to be introverted” –
    This is the most idiotic argument I have ever read. It seems like pitcher would be a perfect place for an introvert. I think Koufax was an introvert.

• Anonymous says:

“The pitchers-one blond and extroverted, a gentile from California; the other dark-haired and introverted, a Jew from Brooklyn-held out for 32 days before eventually caving in only a couple of weeks before opening day.” – Sandy Koufax: A Lefty’s Legacy , by Jane Leavy.

This quote describes Drysdale (blonde and extroverted) and Koufax (dark haired and introverted). So much for that stupid argument. The greatest Dodger pitcher of all time was an introvert.

• Anonymous says:

“Bob Gibson from the St. Louis Cardinals, … A very classy guy, somewhat of an introvert” –

Yup, Bob Gibson too.

• JCA says:

Koufax & Gibson were starters, whereas Broxton closes. Have to say they are a different skill set.

Think of some of the better Dodger closers of recent vintage: Howe, Howell & Gagne – which camp would you put them in?

• Anonymous says:

So those guys couldn’t close? Lame. Only an extrovert who does not understand introverts would make this argument.

• Anonymous says:

Here is another:

Famous INTJs:

Orel Leonard Hershiser, IV, major league baseball pitcher

Carlos Perez? Probably an extrovert.

• Kevyn says:

Some thoughts for Carlito:-Marmol and his 1.45 WHIP in 2009 didn’t look too solid to me. Walks and celosrs usually don’t go well together.-Fraklin was a joke down the stretch, check his Sept. Hope you enjoyed the ride bc it is officially over. Caveat emptor.-Aardsma was VERY good last year. I bet the RedSox would like to do that trade over