Sights of Spring – March 20th

Sights of Spring – March 20th

The latest Buzz from Camelback Ranch:

Jon Broxton saw me, clinched his teeth and turned away.

• The Dodgers clearly like Rubby De La Rosa, and it’s pretty clear to me that he could be in the rotation as soon as July or August if he continues to progress.  They are taking him to LA before the regular season opens.  Don Mattingly says that “you can’t teach 97, 98 MPH and it’s clear that the hitters don’t recognize his change-up.”  He went on to say that he needs to work on his curve, but likened Rubby to Clayton in that “you just can’t keep them down.”  If Garland is healthy, I could see him being traded in August RDLR taking a spot in the rotation.  He’s the Dodgers future #2 behind Kershaw.
  • Bud Selig paid the Pressbox at Camelback a visit today and clearly didn’t want to address the McCourt ownership issue.  He flatly said that he wouldn’t comment on it.  When asked if Ozzie was a problem, he said “that’s number 735 on my problem list.”  When asked about McCourt he curtly responded “now that’s a different story.”  He clearly doesn’t like the McCourt Divorce Fiasco.
  • More Photos:

Logan White and Ken Gurnick

Logan:  “Gurnick, if you print that, you are finished!

White & Gurnick

Logan: “There’s the door.  Don’t make me punch you!”

White Pops Gurnick

Gurnick: “You hit like a girl.”

The usual transportation for Manny Mota.

Big Man, Little Man

Ready for Action

The morning briefing - Jared (L) looks like glazed ham

Ted Lilly dreaming of being a hitter.

Where it all starts

Padilla is on a fast track back

Jared, Charlie Steiner and Joe Jarek waiting for Donnie

15 Responses to “Sights of Spring – March 20th”

1. Bluenose Dodger says:

Great photos and captions. Sounds as if you had a great day too.

I know Jonathan Broxton is not one of your favorites Mark, but in the photo he looks slimmed down a bit. Is the photo being kind to him, or has he actually reduced a bit?

i’ve actually thought that brox has looked a little slimmer this spring as well.

hopefully it helps. id love to know what his fastball was today and his last outing. on the post game show he says he’s coming along still.

Very nice Mark, thanks. We are unbeaten since you rolled in so I nominate you for the traveling secretary.
    You seen it all today. Kemp bomb, Andres knocks, Brox, Kuo, McDougals “pitch”, must have been a blast.
    Since you got Logan to ham it up for you, do you think you could get one of Broxton with a chokehold on you?

There really is a lot to like with the next wave and Rubby really is a GEM.

P.S. Nice pics and if I was as white as Jared I would be marinating in SPF 90

4. Tyrone Hill says:

The MLB Trade Rumors FB page just cited your article!

5. SpokaneBob says:

Michael,

“Rubby really is a GEM.”

Nice line and most importantly, true.

funny how last year, the gems we were looking at were withrow, martin, miller and lindblom.

rdlr has clearly passed all of them up, and it’s great, because now the others can try living up to their potential this year. if half those guys step up, and zach lee shows some filthy stuff, then we really have a dynamite farm pitching staff!

that doesn’t even include alan webster, who was really soli last year, and hopefully steps up this year as well, and garret gould, who was a high pick the year before.

Bluenose,

I think Broxton has dropped a few pounds, but see my post tomorrow.

Mark, Have a safe trip back. I just arrived back home and it’s raining like crazy. Nice hanging out with you and Jared for a while today. I love talking baseball with anyone that is willing. Great photo’s……

9. Idaho al says:

Great article Mark. I agree with you on De La Rosa. It may not be too far in the future when we will have all 5 starters from our farm system. That would be great.

It is getting close to opening day. I cannot wait for baseball to start. Living in Idaho where it is wet and cold, only mean more to me when baseball starts. Three hours of baseball everyday on T.V.

Go dodgers.

10. SpokaneBob says:

Mark,

Do you think that Gwynn or even Paul could have caught Juan Pierre’s triple that went over Gibbon’s head?

SpokeBob,

Gwynn would have caught it.

Thames? Maybe

Paul? Possibly

12. SpokaneBob says:

I was prety sure that Tony would have gotten it and if that ball would have been caught it would have changed the whole inning and probably the game. People don’t realize how important a strong defense really is, especially when your building your team around pitching. Tony Gwynn needs to be the starting left fielder.

13. SpokaneBob says:

OK, so the white sox didn’t score in the fifth…but you get my point.