Rant & Rave Saturday

Rant & Rave Saturday
  • What a HUGE increase in run production – the Dodgers tripled their number of runs.  Oh, and they lost.  Oh well, “it’s early” (to quote Eric Karros).
  • Star of the Game: ____________________  That’s a BLANK!
  • Could Jeff Pentland be fired before the end of Spring Training?
  • Charlie Steiner said that the Dodgers gave Broxton a complete physical towards the end of last season.  They found nothing abnormal.  Now, in case you don’t know how a sports physical works, they totally isolate all the major muscle groups, and if one group is weak or painful, it will become apparent.  They found nothing!  I would have suggested that instead of a “physical” they should have performed a “mental.”  It’s doubtful that J-Brox is fixed.  His problem will rear it ugly head again….  I’m telling you…
  • That said, Broxton is getting by (so far).
  • Jon Garland should be a nice addition as the #5!  I mean, really nice.
  • Matt Guerrier appears to be very uncomfortable.  I hope this isn’t a bad pickup.  Oh, it’s still early!
  • Choices for the Dodgers’ #2 hitter:  Gwynn, Jr , DeJesus, Jr.  Blake, Jr.   Blake, Jr. is my 5th choice!
  • Man, that Dionar Navarro can hit!  I am being sarcastic.
  • Sellers is hitting .125.  Castro is at .375.  Do the math!
  • Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports blasts Russ Martin.  Russ was once my favorite Dodger, but what Brown writes is T-R-U-E!
  • Notice the new Mandatory Dodger Daily Reading near the right top of this site?  That’s everything you need EVERY DAY from the best Dodger Sites.  Maybe I forgot one, but I am trying to keep the list short and RELEVANT!

UPDATE:  Tony Jackson reports that Don Mattingly is not worried about the offense and offers up plenty of reasons why.  OK, hit anyway!

16 Responses to “Rant & Rave Saturday”

1. Willie Mays says:

Giants Rule

Dodgers Suck

First of all, it really is early. Also, I don’t know if it’s relevant, but could the late reporting to spring training have the Dodgers just a bit behind at this time relative to other teams, and have other teams been affected by the same flu bug that hit the Dodgers? And I’m not suggesting that the late reporting was a bad thing. If the Dodgers are a bit behind now, that’s not likely to be the case by the end of the month when the season begins.

By the way, I believe the Yankees also have a losing record this spring. Again, it really is early.

Update above (Tony Jackson)

4. AnewBlueDay says:

Yes, it is early, it is Spring Training — but someone should be able to hit the ball, somewhere.

But let us remember. Teams are working into shape, but also know more and more about other teams and their hitters and thus their weaknesses.

Maybe it can all fall into place today.

5. ray guilfoyle says:

who says we don’t have any prospects? Sands is our best hitter in ST and this on RDLR from Buster Olney:
    The Dodgers are very impressed with what they’ve seen from Rubby De la Rosa, a 21-year-old pitcher who they signed for a $15,000 bonus as a teenager. De La Rosa reached Class AA last year, posting a 2.37 ERA in 22 appearances, and this spring, he has been clocked with a fastball at 96-98 mph. “Great composure on the mound,” said Colletti. “He has great command of his emotions.”

De La Rosa is expected to start the year in the minors and it’s very possible that he’ll finish the year there, but Colletti did not rule out the possibility that he could be considered for promotion later in the season

6. AnewBlueDay says:

Uribe might be the answer — as the hitter the Dodgers count on to keep the others motavtived. Maybe.

But I still like getting Michael Young from Texas. He is a .300 hitter and knows how to play.

But if Michael wants a ring — hang on in Texas.

7. Jae says:

I think that if the Dodgers had Young, it is more likely he would get a ring in LA. He is a smart hitter and can swing for power or hit for average and I think he might hit .320 in LA with 10-15 HR.

8. Jae says:

1.Furcal
    2.Young

9. Evan Bladh says:

Okay, I’m doing the math. Sellers .125, Castro .375 = .500 combined average. I never was very good at math…

10. Jae says:

Evan,

You are a genius!

And if you take the average of their averages, it’s .250. That’s decent.

Obviously not having seen him play on a regular basis, I find it hard to determine whether or not I favor the acquisition of Young (and that doesn’t include what it would cost in players to get him).

For me there are two caveats attached to the acquisition of Young.

1. His age – 34 now, 35 in October.

2. What his cost ($48 million over the next 3 years) will mean for the Dodgers going forward. For example, in free agency next year.

I assume that Texas would have to pick up a large chunk of Young’s contract for any deal to even be considered by the Dodgers. And as things stand now, I am guessing that I would prefer having Young over Casey Blake (who is even older than Young). And certainly this is not a deal in which I would be willing to surrender top prospects or good young players currently on the Dodgers. And if that’s not enough for Texas, well, then they can go elsewhere.

13. AnewBlueDay says:

I see that our man Ethier is hitting well below the Men-doze-za line. But it is only Spring Training.

14. AnewBlueDay says:

The Dodgers are in mid-season form. Pitching a shoutout. Scoring enough runs to win. Solid relief.

Print the . . . hey, this is Spring Traing . . . How is Loney??

Missed the game but very impressive pitching display. That wasn’t a bunch of scrubs out there, that was Nattis team.

Oh by the way, Uribe is 0 for his Dodger career.

16. AnewBlueDay says:

Michael, it is only Spring Training. Ethier is not much more.