Opening Day Lineup

Opening Day Lineup

I am going to give you the Opening Day Lineup. See if I’m right. The whole roster will be determined by injury, so I am not confident in that, but he’s the Starting Nine:

1. Furcal SS
2. DeJesus , Jr. 2B
3. Ethier RF
4. Kemp CF
5. Loney 1B
6. Uribe 3B
7. Barajas C
8. Gwynn, Jr. LF
9. Kershaw

Book ‘em, Dano!

The 2B job is IDJ2′s to lose!

Scott Elbert has also made the team.

Gibbons? NO!

I also predict that Padilla will break with the team. Amazing!

30 Responses to “Opening Day Lineup”

I agree that Elbert will probably make the team.

I don’t think any decision has been made on Gibbons, Paul or even Oeltjen at this point. I’m sure the Dodgers brass has some ideas, and that they’re leaning in a particular direction, but that they won’t make any decisions until they absolutely have to. Too many things (deals, injuries, etc.) can happen between now and opening day. Also, Mattingly has been around a long time, and I’m sure he’s seen plenty of veterans have lousy springs followed by great seasons. Gibbons may not make the team, but I wouldn’t book it yet, Dano.

I doubt if Padilla will break with the team, if only for cautionary purposes. Tossing off a mound on the sidelines is a lot different than doing it in a game, especially one that counts. There’s enough depth in the bullpen to get by without Padilla in the early going. I doubt if the risk is worth the reward.

IDJ2 breaks with the team if Mattingly intends to give him significant playing time.

• bluetrain says:

Agree with ya Brooklyn, but if Padilla not quite ready to be a fifth starter he should be able to pitch an inning or two in a few days, maybe til then (how far back can they 15 day DL him, I know its a week or so)they could give one of the guys slated for AAA a look.
      train

2. SpokaneBob says:

I hope your right Mark, except I swap Gwynn and Ivan. Gwynn is better equipted to handle the presure, providing he maintains a high on base percentage. Brooklyn is exactly right about playing time. I believe Ned and Donnie should give the kid a shot. Let him play everyday until Blake comes back and see what happens.

• bluetrain says:

DeJesus has always batted first of second, let it continue. Unless TG Jr improves significantly on his last season he wont be around long. .210 BA wont get it done…
      train

3. SpokaneBob says:

Just read this on True Blue LA:

Barring an injury, infielder Ivan DeJesus has made the club and will be in the big leagues until Blake returns from back injury, a team source said on the condition of anonymity. DeJesus, who will be making his major league debut, likely will get the bulk of the starts at second base during that time, while Juan Uribe will move to third.

Also Mahay won’t be making the roster.

I am still concerned about the 5th starter. Maybe the calendar and rain or snow or riots will change the days needed for a 5th starter —

but the Dodgers do not have one. Oh, they have bodies, but no one on the roster worth a hoot.

Ely, I did not really like or trust him last season. His fast ball is 85. It is batting practice type. Maybe Rosie is the answer.

Yes, now I see some of the weakness of Barajas as the starting catcher.

Beside having some problems catching the ball — he has lead in his back side.

But it is best that Ned and Frank could do.

I have seen enough of Ely. AAA, back your bags. Oh, they are in the corner.

The bus will load up back.

A pitcher with pinpoint control and exceptional offspeed stuff can pitch at 85 mph. And, if memory serves, I believe that Ely gets mostly in the high 80′s, and occasionally even hits 90 or slightly above. His change is exceptional. The only question is his control which has been very good and not so good at times. I think Haeger was the guy at 83, 84, 85.

I agree with SpokaneBob about swapping Ivan and Gwynn, at least on opening day, when the Dodgers will be facing the righthanded Lincecum. Not sure DeJesus needs to be introduced to the big leagues batting 2nd against Lincecum. Gwynn also gives us more speed at the top, which against Lincecum could help us scratch out an extra run or two. Then all we’ll need is for Kershaw to be at the top of his game.

As for Barajas, I believe that Mattingly likes his game calling and leadership on the field. He is what he is, a .240 or less hitter, with 15 – 18 HR power. Nothing to write home about, but decent enough until the Dodgers can acquire or develop a replacement.

i love having idj batting 2nd. i’ve been hoping all spring that either he or trob wins the job and takes the #2 hole full time.

p.s. so far in the spring, in 42ab, manny is hitting .333/.400/.595 with 3 hr and 10 rbi

About a month ago here I stated that IDJ2 was getting too old to be considered a prospect. Boy was I wrong.
    Hoping he is one of those guys you pencil in the line-up but can never take him out. I could live with Blake playing 3B a couple times a week with Uribe getting a breather or giving Loney rest against tough lefties.
    I think AJ should be the backup at catcher and Gimenez can take Gibbons spot with his added dimensions of bat, glove, arm and speed.

Carpe diem

It\’s like Logan said – I think we expect too much, too soon out of young players. Many never pull it all together until they are in their mid-to-late 20\’s.

11. SpokaneBob says:

Physically, I don’t think Rod can catch as many games as Martin did.
    The back up will get plenty of playing time. I want to keep Gimenez instead of Navarro.

If we keep Gimenez and he can continue to hit, don’t be surprised if at some point he wins the job and becomes our starting catcher.

At the end of the day, opinions mean nothing. Next week we will know what it is that we think we know now. Stay tuned……..

13. Joe says:

I think IDJ2 has hit enough to start him at 2nd while Blake is on the DL. I think he would do all right at a 2 hole guy but I understand the concerns about a rookie batting in that slot. It will interesting if they keep Gibbons after all the off season talk of him platooning in left not sure if they demote/cut him for a bad spring. The 5th starter spot is scary now with the injuries, I wish Ely would have taken it but he hasn’t looked good lately. If he could spot his fastball more consistently he could be a back of the rotation starter. I am just not a big Tim Redding fan.

I just read in the local paper this morning that they told Mahay that he wouldn’t make the team. This is probably old news to some in here.

Sorry Bob, It is old news….

IDJ2 was never getting too old to be considered a prospect. He will turn 24 in May. Keep in mind that he was drafted out of high school in 2005, not college. So he’s been around for a while, which leaves the impression that he’s older than he is. And the injury two years ago was severe enough that it not only cost him the 2009 season, but was also the type of injury from which it probably takes at least two years to fully recover.

If IDJ2 can re-discover the patience at the plate that produced a .419 OBP in 2008, then he could prove to be a valuable player. If he can handle the top of the order now, then I have no problem with it. But I also have no problem with him starting out in the 8-hole, moving up later after he’s gotten more comfortable with his surroundings. Or he could stay in the 8-hole if someone else is doing a good job handling the 2-hole.

From what I read earlier today, it could be that he will be around only until Casey Blake gets back, at which time he could be optioned to back to ALBQ to play everyday. Of course, if he gets hot, who knows.

I like how we’re giving some of our kids a shot instead of washed up vets.

IDJ will start, and hopefully show enough that he should be the full time 2b (even if he has to go back to aaa for a bit), and elbert made the team over mahay. at least elbert has upside to dominate if he gets his control in check. mahay was on his way down anyway.

now, if all goes well according to our master plans, sands tears up aaa and eventually becomes our LF!

I would love it if Sands could come up sometime later in the season and claim LF. And what I saw of Sands in early spring games was impressive. He looked both patient and controlled at the plate. However, recently what I’ve seen is a young hitter still adjusting to more advanced professional pitching, especially on breaking pitches. That doesn’t mean he won’t make adjustments, because that’s what good hitters ultimately do. But for now, it appears as if he would be best served at AAA. And if he uses the time at AAA to begin learning to play 3B, that’s not a bad thing. For now, to the best of my knowledge, there aren’t any obvious heirs apparent at 3B. Maybe someone other than Sands will surface during the season, but for now I don’t know who that is. It would be nice having Sands next Spring able to compete for a starting spot in the outfield or one of the corner infield positions. If he can make an impact this year as well, all the better.

I had the game on via computer TV — Padre announcers. And all of a sudden Kershaw was pulled from the game.

The game log shows: 11 hitters. 39 pitches with 26 being strikes. So is there something wrong?

• Mark_Timmons says:

Kershaw was going to be limited to less than 40 pitches in his final tuneup for opening day. These games mean nothing and Donnie focused on Opening Day.

At some point in the interview (probably when I interrupt Jared) I asked Logan about moving Sands to 3B. Long story… short. He\’s not down with that!

He thinks Sands will be a 30+ HR guy and thinks he should stay in LF or 3B to let him focus on being the Big Bopper.

Mark, the other day, some of the “experts” were talking about the final 10 days of Spring Training, for pitchers. Wanting them to extend to 60 percent and then 80 percent of a game to get ready for opening day.

Today, Kershaw goes less. Not stretching out . . . just enough to get loose.

I am waiting for Ned to do something. This batting order does not have enough to be championship type.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Roger,

Don\’t look at last year. That was really weird! Look at what Loney, Kemp and Ethier are capable of. That\’s a different story. Matt Kemp could be MVP.

22. Dave says:

I prefer Gwynn leading off and Furcal batting 8th. Gwynn has earned it based upon his spring stats. Furcal is OLD and worse for wear. Let’s take the pressure off him by batting him 8th and wringing what we can out of him until he visits the DL. De Jesus is tempting but I say start him in AAA. Let Carroll start at 2nd to begin the season and bat second. Okay, Okay, there are statistics, statistics and damn lies (spring stats), but I like the OBP of Gwynn and Carroll this spring and want to see if they can carry them into the season. I like the defense of Gwynn as well, and Carroll can get the job done as he so aptly proved last year. Otherwise, I agree with you Mark. BTW, am I a bit off or do others get a little excited to see Uribe playing 3B instead of Blake to start the season AND hopefully throughout?

• bluetrain says:

DeJesus has earned it, what kink of message are you wanting send?
      But i do agree Raffy is getting older, his back was old when we signed him. To lod and to much money….
      train

23. bluetrain says:

correction . “kind of message”

24. Liz says:

You can buy discounted Dodgers tickets using the promo code FAMILY through this link!