Logan White Interview – Part 1

Logan White Interview – Part 1

Jared Massey and I had the privilege of  interviewing Logan White on March 22, 2011 in his office at Camelback Ranch.  There will be 4-6 videos of this interview, which I will release over the next week.  The first question I asked him was whether the Dodgers’ Farm System was bare and he addressed Keith Law’s low ranking of the Dodgers.  Now, Baseball America has released their ratings and the Dodgers are #11, which is a heck of a lot higher than Law’s #22 Rating.   Logan says he believes that some people rate the Dodger Farm System so low because of the McCourt Divorce and they just love to pile on.  He asserts that the reality is different than the perception and is clearly excited about the players.  He also stated that “I’d rather be a Dodger than a GM.“  I for one, think he will be both… someday!

We had a lot of conversation off the record, some of which we can share.  Some we can’t.  Well, we could if we didn’t ever want to talk to him again.  Over the years, I have built a level of trust with Logan and I think he knows I’ll share what I can.  For the record, I think Logan is a high-character person who really loves his job and the Dodgers,  Enjoy watching Part 1.

Here’s BASEBALL AMERICA“s List:

25. Detroit Tigers
26. Houston Astros
27. Chicago White Sox
28. Oakland Athletics
29. Florida Marlins
30. Milwaukee Brewers

9 Responses to “Logan White Interview – Part 1”

he seems like a good guy too mark.

lookin forward to watchin all of em. thanks again for doin this!

2. ray guilfoyle says:

Mark-I just had the appetizer. When do we get the meal? lol….great work!!

3. DodgerDude says:

I hope you bashed BroxTON with Logan.

I love the way Logan White says bloggers are full of shit and don’t have their facts correct without coming out and saying bloggers are full of shit. Great work Mark.

5. Jae says:

If you gave most bloggers an enema, you could bury them in a shoebox as Mark says.

6. Bluenose Dodger says:

Way to go Mark. You just got to like Logan White and the way he talks about things.

I was especially interested in his assessment that the 2010 draft was the best since he has been with the Dodgers, maybe better than the 2002 draft.

Also, I like the change in philosophy of which he spoke. That is, tryihg to win with different affiliates and not grouping guys together on the same team. I think that winning is important in the minors and it becomes part of an attitude or a culture of winning.

He mentioned that quite often it seems guys rate the draft, as he said, on sources that are not reliable and on insufficient information. Not that I want Jared to puff out his chest, but I think his minor league assessment is a pretty good representation of how our farm actually is performing.

From my own point of view, I think our rating will climb significantly in the next couple of years as some of our young arms find the strike zone and mature with their pitches. We will have considerably more guys approachihng major league ready. Overall, how we are rated doesn’t make much difference, but it is still nice to be seen as having a strong minor league system.

7. troyfromwv says:

Its amazing he would let you put this interview on YouTube. I commend him for that.

8. Ely's Coming, Better Hide Your Haeger says:

That was a very good interview Mark

9. RogerCraig says:

Logan White is the real deal!