It’s Early, But Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late

It’s Early, But Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late

Allegedly the Dodger hitters are “working on looking at pitches” which is why they are dead last in NL in Spring Training hitting at .230.  By the way, the Padres are #1 at .329!  OK – It’s early, but don’t wait until it’s too late.  The Dodgers are in the middle of the pack with a 3.86 team ERA and yesterday it sparkled with the Ace leading the way, and it wasn’t against the Reds scrubbs – it was their regular lineup.  Remember, the Reds were one of the best offensive teams in the league last year.

Clayton pitched four solid shutout innings and still has yet to be scored upon in this Spring’s small sampling.  The rest of the Dodger pitchers shut out the Reds over the next five innings – Cormier, Huber, W. De La Rosa, Colon and Villarreal, non of whom are likely to make the 25-man roster (possible, but not likely).  Clayton allowed one hit and walked one while striking out three.  He looks ready to take the next step and I would not be surprised if in a few months we are calling him CY Kershaw!

If Chad Billingsley can master the changeup (and it’s looking more and more like he can), Chad will elevate his game immensely as well.  Truth be told, C-Bill has excellent stuff.  A change-up would make him illegal!  Kuroda continues to work on his curve, which would be a big pitch for him IF he can master it.  It ain’t easy folks.

DODGER NEWS:

• Loney had an MRI and evidently no structural damage was found on his sore knee.  He’ll sit for a few days.  Look for Mitchel, Thames and Gibbons tgo play there.  Sands?  No so much.
  • Baseball Prospectus has predicted the Dodgers to finish second in the NL West at 87-75 (Giants were picked to win with 90 wins).
  • Baseball America has the Dodgers dead-last in international scouting at $314,000.00  The Angels are 3rd to last.  I’m really  not sure what that means.  Of course, the Yanks are #1.
  • Finally, Bill Shaikin of The LA Times presents what is a dilemia for Bud Selig.  There are so many possibilities in the Frank McCourt fiasco that I won’t waste time discussing it.  I focus on the field and the rest will play out one way or another.  I will watch that with interest.

13 Responses to “It’s Early, But Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late”

DVR Alert. The Dodgers are on WGN TV today vs. the Cubs at 3 EST thats noon PST.

That’s a new one, working on looking at pitches. Can’t the players do that by standing in the bullpen? Now is the time to work on hitting the pitches. We get the Cubbies today. I hope Romo is finding his way around the facilities OK. Glad to hear Loney is OK and will only sit out a few games. Less than two weeks before my Cameltoe arrival. Go Blue

3. Joe says:

I admit I hate to see the Dodgers struggle and want to see them win every game even in spring training, but I have to remind myself to take spring training with a grain of salt. In the NFL the 2008 Detroit Lions went 4-0 in preseason and turned it into the first 0-16 team in NFL history.

4. lawdog says:

Holy crap! Has this site gone down hill, or what???

I stayed away for a week and missed nothing. The articles have made the fish hacks at the Times look very good by comparison and there’s only a very few of posters left who know their asses from hot rocks.

I hope you were not counting on revenues from this blog to help supplement your social security, Timmons.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Lawdog,

Unlike you, some people post here only when they have something intelligent to say.

Anyone who starts a blog to make money is an idiot. That has never been my intention.

But our readership continues to grow and it is growing faster than ever now.

Very few people post and that\’s fine. I\’d rather have it that way rather than just writing some bitter drivel.

Good luck.

5. Jae says:

You are a complete idiot Lawidiot!

This from MSTI.

“Any comments about the offense, or lack thereof, should be held back on a day that has a lineup missing Matt Kemp, Rafael Furcal, Andre Ethier, Casey Blake, and Juan Uribe, and features Dioner Navarro hitting cleanup. On the other hand, Marcus Thames, on his 34th birthday, doubled off the left-center wall to tie the game at 3 in the 8th.”

Yes, IT’S EARLY.

7. DodgerDude says:

I feel stupider with Lawdog back

Welcome back to the table Lawdog.

We took a 4 day trip to Virginia . . . relatives visit. At the airport, I looked at 4 or 5 of the annual baseball magazines — and the Dodgers are picked like: 2, 3, 2, 3 and so forth. No magazine I saw placed them first.

No matter the lineup Donnie uses now in games — I still say, the team is still short a Manny like hitter. LF, 3B, even 2b, and catching has major hitting concerns. That is 4 slots, plus the pitcher making 5. The other 4 are solid good hitter — all having something to prove.

Ned needs to make a deal.

As dumb as it sounds, but having Dunn at say, 1b with 40 HRs would have helped. Loney, I am afraid, will not be that. And this lineup needs some pop.

9. MillaBlue says:

I must say guys, after watching the last few games, I noticed there was paint on my wall while we were batting. I was imagining what it would look like when it was drying. Because when we are batting I think I would rather watch the paint.

Come on guys hit the friggin ball!

10. lawdog says:

Don’t expect me to post here–unless I read something so incredibly stupid as to require a comment or three.

I’m checking the net for a more cviilized blog where the fans are smart, articulate, knowldgeable and all their children are above average.

This place has degenerated into one man yelling and a bunch of his honcho yes me regereteting everything he says and shouting down anyone they think that displeases their “lord and master” and might negatively efect the way he thinks and feels.

Happy trails assholes!

You can have this bullshit.

• MillaBlue says:

I have seen a few majors losers on various blogs. You are now #1 of all-time. My God you will be sorely missed. Sort of like a hemorrhoid.