Hitting? What Hitting?

Hitting?  What Hitting?

These guys could jump out of a boat right about now and not even hit water… let alone a little white baseball.  I know it’s early.  I know the pitchers are ahead of the hitters. I know most of the Dodger starters are not in there.  I know that with most of the positions secure, players are just working on their conditioning, but DANG, could you just get an occasional hit?  Maybe a home run?  I mean… does anyone have a pulse?

I know it’s early, but I saw the same lethargy or malaise infect this team last year and I don’t want to see it again.  Last spring, this team looked complacent and while they did play well the first half, that same complacency seemed to grow in the second half.  No excuses – you have to get the job done.  Get on base, move the runner, drive him in.  Hit in the clutch!

The game is on – bring your bats!

Dodger Notes:

• The absolute best thing that could happen to the Dodgers would be for Tony Gwynn, Jr. to step up and win a starting position.  If he could just OB% .350, he would steal 50 bases and put lots of pressure on the pitchers.
  • RDLD was looking pretty awesome according to the Cincinnati Reds broadcasters.  They said the ball “explodes” out of his hand and the only other pitcher who does that is Aroldis Chapman.
  • Ken Gurnick of Dodgers .com has a good article on Kenley Jansen, whose idol is Mariano Rivera.
  • What Brooklyn Dodger posted about Broxton is my greatest hope.  Hopefully J-Brox will be “lights out ” the first half  and the Dodgers can trade him for whatever after the break.
  • Tony Jackson of ESPN/LosAngeles has a piece on Mike MikeMacDougal.  Who?
  • According to Bill Shaikin of The LA Times, the McCourt’s have renewed settlement talks.    What-E-V-E-R….  The dumbasses just need to get on with it or the only winners will be people who have “Esquire” after their name.  Is “Esquire” a fancy term for “thief?”  Just wondering…

15 Responses to “Hitting? What Hitting?”

1. Corey says:

I agree with your Tony Gwynn thoughts. If he could bat somewhere around .260 and have that ob% around .350 it would be exactly what we need. Plus…..Way Plus defense in the outfield, with some very needed speed in the lineup. My concern is I don’t see him getting the chance to win the job. I really think they have their minds made up that Kemp is going to stay in CF and Thames and Gibbons will platoon left.

2. Jae says:

Ned said he would play as much as his hitting allowed…

3. SpokaneBob says:

It certainly is up to Tony. I am rooting for him and so far he has a couple of hits and 3 stolden bases. We need his speed and defense in the line up. Casey Blake is NOT a mumber two hitter.

I hope he can play his way into the starting line up and hold the job in center until T-Rob takes it from him. Thats the plan..isn’t it?

4. SpokaneBob says:

2012 Dodger line up?

Gordon ss

Robinson cf

Ethier lf

Kemp rf

Uribe 3b

Sands 1b

Catcher

De Jesus 2b

Davey Lopes will be a tremondous help for Gordon and Robinson as far as stolden bases are concerned.

I like your lineup Bob. Maybe Sands would be hitting above Uribe if everything goes well for him this year. Who can we get to catch in 2012? Have fun at Camelback Romo……. Take some pictures for us.

i agree with bob as well. throw in ellis at catcher, and thats our 2012 team.

to further that point, our rotation will be kersh bills lilly rdlr and zack lee. bullpen of kuo jansen elbert hawksworth lindblom guerra and someone like mike mcdougal.

not bad for a payroll of $37 million?

Can we get a good catcher for Broxton? Any idea’s?

8. AnewBlueDay says:

Catching . . . here is where Dodger minor league scouting can come into play. Search the AA and AAA for the best fielding catcher out there. Then, trade for them during the season.

If the Dodgers don’t have the ability to go after a high price catcher — then get the best fielding one coming up, and forget about the hitting sidel; slot them 8th.

Gee, many got excited last season when Ellis won a game with a hit. Even A.J. can get lucky.

I can certainly see Sands and Robinson being regulars in next seasons line-up but 4 rookies? DJ2 is about to be too old to be considered a prospect and as far as Gordon goes, he needs to put on some weight. Dee is so skinny he doesn’t even have a shadow.

Maybe the batters are getting too much advice and are thinking too much. Upon entering the box with the exception being where you want to drive the ball, your only thought should be ; See the ball, hit the ball.
    Ian Kinsler has as many HRs 3 as the Dodgers.

P.S. Do they give these players eye tests every spring? Should be a no-brainer

10. AnewBlueDay says:

Michael, eye tests, that is an end of May thing. Then when a player is not hitting after almost 2 months, it is discovered they need glasses or new ones (contacts) — and then they start hitting.

11. SpokaneBob says:

DJ2 is leading to competition for utility infielder at least in batting average. I am pulling for Ivan and Sellers over the vastly more experienced Castro and Miles. But Sellers may need a year at AAA to become the player we want. I would just rather go with our future than go with the “Vet” mentality. I guess that will be up to Donnie…..I am sure Torre would have gone with the Vets.

Bob,

Unless IDJ2 wins a starting position, I expect him to go back to AAA.

13. AnewBlueDay says:

I do not know (yet), but I think Donnie might want to be a “new” manager, and not just a “new” Joe. Thus, he will want to do some things differently.

As Bob says, youth or vets. That can mean speed over huffing and puffing coming around third base.

And I bet he will not roll out Ortiz kind of pitchers at the beginning of the season.

Just noticed that Loney flew oout to right, at least he is pulling the ball. Kemp a hit, Loney a hit, Carroll a hit.

14. AnewBlueDay says:

Dodgers in another nail biter. Yes sir, yes mam, Dodgers have 1 run so far, but no RBI for it.

Can anyone just hit the ball hard, fair, and true???

I surely hope Donnie [can you call him Don?] has a different outlook on veteran presence or should I say “preference” than his mentor had but does his thinking of batting the beard second[let's clog up the bases with our slowest runner] tell you anything?

If I was an opposing pitcher I would HATE to face Kemp in the 1st inning with Furcal and Dre leading off.

Here’s hoping for the best but TGTWIOT [Tim Wallach Is on 3rd]