He Did It Once – He’ll Do It Again!

He Did It Once – He’ll Do It Again!

LAdodgerTalk Senior Photographer, Roger Sobin

I just talked to Roger Dodger (Dr. Roger Sobin) who has accompanied me to Spring Training for several years, and was saddened to hear that he will be unable to make the trek this year.  He may get mad at me for telling this (however, I’m pretty sure he can’t whip me), but  Roger has a disease called Amyloidosis, which  is a disease that occurs when substances called amyloid proteins build up in your organs. Amyloid is an abnormal protein usually produced by cells in your bone marrow that can be deposited in any tissue or organ.  Amyloidosis can affect different organs in different people, and there are many types of amyloid.

Amyloidosis frequently affects the heart, kidneys, liver, spleen, nervous system and gastrointestinal tract.  Aggressive treatment involves chemotherapy, which isn’t always pretty.  Roger has his Amyloid levels monitored frequently and he has been in remission for several years.

Well, he recently got a bad result in a test and now has to have a bone marrow tap and all that good stuff including possibly chemo.  His doctor has advised him to start next week and he is listening to his doctor.  Good for him.  I think that everyone who is part of LAdodgerTalkNation should send Roger their well wishes.  Roger has beat this once and he will beat it again!  The Big Dodger in the Sky isn’t ready for him, and the Devil won’t take him anyway.  Send him your prayers and positive thoughts and he’ll pull through this once again.

Good Luck, Roger!   We are pulling for you.

18 Responses to “He Did It Once – He’ll Do It Again!”

Hello Mr Roger,
    I am sorry to hear the news and very sorry that I won’t get to see you again this year. Please take care and get well soon. Leave this Dodger crap to the rest of the LA Dodger Talk Nation for awhile. We promise not to screw it up too bad until you get back to it. My thoughts and prayers are with you brother.

2. Roger……my prayers are with you….

My prayers as well. Roger truly is one of the good guys.

I hope you get well soon Roger. Your a real trooper here and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Roger,

Mark might think you can’t whip him, but we all know better.

As is the case with everyone here on LA Dodger Talk, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Best of luck!

6. Jae says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you Roger. Get well soon!

7. RogerCraig says:

Believe it and you will beat it, RD!

8. DodgerDude says:

May the Force be with you, Dude!

9. the truth hurts says:

get well rodger!

Thanks for the well wishes folks.

My lab tests were up earlier this month, and was retested a second time. And they called me in for 5 more of those bottles of blood this morning.

Tomorrow at 10 CST, they will do a bone marrow biopsy. Then, next week a kidney biopsy. Then in the middle of the week, a heart echo.

At that point the doc’s will decide on the proper action to take. Most likely some chemo and one of the new super drugs in the field.

Seven years ago I had Stem Cell Transplant (my own blood / stem cells were used) and Chemo. I was in the hospital for 30 days. In that time my kidney’s shut down and I was on dialysis for 3 months. My weight went from my normal 195 to 250 in five days (when the kidney’s shut down) and on dialysis for those three months, they took me down to 150 or 100 pound loss. Then over the next year I went back to the 195 where I have been for the past six years.

Now, we revisit with more tests and some kind of therapy (probably the chemo and a drug).

Mark basically educated you on the Amyloidosis illness which is very rare. I have all of my work done at the VA Hospital here in San Antonio. Also, I have see an expert at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale once a year for the past four years. The doctors here have consulted with him. Mayo is one of the leading places for this disease in the country.

I am in good hands . . . and will continue to follow our Dodgers.

Mark and I have been to four Spring Trainings together (2 in Vero and 2 in Arizona).

Mark, tell them about the picture book that we have just created. Folks can order one if they like.

Nice comeback win today. Wear those green uniforms all the time if that is what it takes.

Roger,

I received this e-mail from someone you know (from New York):

Mark,

Please pass along my best wishes to Roger. I met him last yr with you at Camelback and us having lunch and I remember him as a real good guy.

Not going this yr. Too much going on at home. My brother\’s disappointed. So am I. Have fun. Say hello to Tony Jackson for me.

Bob

Roger,

I\’ll tell them about the book once I get an OK from the Dodgers. Dang MLB….

But, it is a nice book on the last three years at Dodgertown – Vero Beach.

14. Joe says:

Hey Roger, I am new to commenting on this site but you will be in my prayers- best of luck to you.

Hey, just to whet your whistle — there is a picture of a guy, a real big guy, eating a hot dog. And this guy is big. But, alas, it is not Mark. But I think Mark could take him.

There is a Matt Kemp HR with the ball frozen in the air as it leaves the park. One of his very first Spring Training HRs.

There is . . . Mark will have to tell you later how you can get this one of a kind photo book with about 48 pages, 8 by 11 inches, full color of the 2006-2007-2008 Vero Beach Spring Training . . .

Just flying under the radar right now, but they are $39.00. I have a few.

Bring one to Glendale, I’m in.

18. SpokaneBob says:

Roger,

I wish you well. Nobody likes going through medical procedures, it is no fun. I hope everything goes well and you have a good result.

I hope they take care of you as well as my V A Hospitial takes care of me. When I could no longer afford my health insurance due to a rate increase caused by Obama’s Health Care, I started going to the V A for care. I have been treated better there than at my private doctors office.

Anyway, I hope you can make it to spring training next year.