Dodgers Are The Worst Team in Baseball

Dodgers Are The Worst Team in Baseball

…so far this Spring!

Well, actually they are tied for last place at 5-14 with that juggernaut which used to be the Arizona Diamondbacks (sarcasm intended).  Look, I’m a guy who doesn’t put much into Spring Training stats.  I read somewhere that Tony Gwynn, Jr. hit over .200 last spring and then hit .203 for the season.  The year before, he was awful in spring training, and then proceeded to hit .270 with a .350 OB%.

Spring Training batting averages and ERA’s mean very little in the big picture (unless it’s J-Box and then it means he’s a bum - hey, this is my site- I make the rules), but this is getting silly!  5-14.  Beyond silly!

Donnie Ballgame, it’s time to thin the herd.  You can keep a few players, but about 20 need to just go to minor league camp.  It’s that time.  It’s time to try and win.  Let’s get busy!  Winning cures everything.  Winning breeds optimism.  Winning builds confidence.  Just win, Donnie!

Dodger News

• Rumor has it that John Ely is a knucklehead.  I hear he’s hard-headed and not prone to take direction.  If that’s true, that’s too bad because he is in line to win te #5 spot.  Hopefully, he is maturing and will get smarter.
  • By-the-way, the Dodgers under Rick Honeycutt as pitching coach have the best ERA in all of baseball.  Interesting….
  • Mike MacDougal is in the mix to REALLY win a job in the pen.  Great article will give you some insight into him by Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com.
  • Josh Lindblom is on the comeback trail.  He’s a nice option to have and he has options.  He’ll start at AAA.
  • Carlos Santana is in danger of being sent back to the minors with a .167 Batting Average.  I’m just sayin’….
  • Andy LaRoche is hitting .345 with 3 HR for the A’s.  Interesting….

21 Responses to “Dodgers Are The Worst Team in Baseball”

1. Bluenose Dodger says:

John Ely apparently has learned the hard way. Brox hasn’t yet. That is, take advice. The following from the article in The Times.

The Dodgers pitcher was a rookie sensation early last year, but then the right-hander lost his way and, for part of the season, his spot on the big-league club. Coaches and teammates tried to help, but the 24-year-old Ely paid little heed.

“I didn’t listen to what people were telling me,” Ely said. “I probably should have.”

But during the winter, Ely realized he did need to make changes, and so far this spring they’ve paid off — Ely has yet to allow a run in six innings of work. And a twist of fate this week might have widened the door for Ely’s comeback.

When starter Jon Garland suffered a strained torso muscle Wednesday, the Dodgers said Ely and veteran Tim Redding were leading candidates to replace Garland if the injury forces him to miss one or more starts.

Ely “was hesitant a year ago” about altering his pitching mechanics and making other changes, “but [I'm] glad to see that he’s more open-minded because it’s made him better,” Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti said.

The changes also helped Ely’s confidence, Manager Don Mattingly said.

“He’s back to attacking the strike zone,” Mattingly said. “That’s what he did last year when he first came up.”

Then, as last season went on, Mattingly said, Ely made a mistake common among young pitchers: “They get hit a little bit, and all of a sudden, it’s like, ‘I don’t want them to hit it,’ and they quit throwing strikes. That’s when you really get in trouble.

“He learned,” Mattingly said. “When you get away during the winter … you get quiet enough to really look at your season.”

I like Ely alot. He was great last year in his role. He struggled during day games, that was the patern I saw. Hopefully that trend is over. But I really like his stuff.

My problem with this team aside from not scoring enough runs is the pitching is breaking down in the later innings. I know it is just spring but it sure would be nice to see our pitchers put up some zeros!

I agree that having too many players in camp and doing the split sqaud games late into spring isn’t good for the team mojo. Lets get the regulars ready and used to playing along side each other. It’s time Donnie. Keep Sands, T-Rob, Dee Gordon and a few of the other guys and send the rest packing. I’m not sure of the remaining schedule but I’m hoping we don’t have to continue losing two games a day with a divided team. (I don’t feel that great about the selected 25 at this point.) It’s not a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Pitching was suppost to be the way of the Dodgers of 2011. With two of the guys (Padilla and Garland) already shelved, we are off to a bad start. We knew that scoring runs would be the biggest concern for the Dodgers this year but as DR mentioned above, “we are not scoring enough runs.” Joe never put any stock into the spring so maybe Donnie is following Joes spring agenda.

On a sticky subject, J-Brox got through an inning. Not a golden performance, but a step in the right direction. I’m ready to serve up some crow Johnny, I got the oven set at 350 degees.

In 4 short days I’ll be heading down for my spring. I’m hoping I can witness some stellar play and not by the other team.

4. RogerCraig says:

I will be lurking around the complex from time-to-time.

I see that Beltre is to make his first appearance today for the Rangers, against the Dodgers — and it is to be on TV (one way or another).

This team must really be broke, dollars wise — or else Ned would make some kind of trade. Oh, wait, Mark told us that Ned said that the team that went into Spring Training would not be the team that came out of Spring Training —- or something like that.

So who is in left field, third base, etc.

6. Jae says:

Carlos Monasterios was just optioned, Mark.

With only 2 split squad games remaining I anticipate the path to the minor league side of camp to get quite busy this week. The exodus has already begun with 3 players leading the way so far today.
    Yeah spring training records and stats don’t mean anything so far with ragtag squads out there. However within the next few days we should see some sembelence of our 2011 team on the field in their roles playing considerable time and pitchers starting to stretch it out. Spring training is quite long but in these final games I expect people to start getting their game faces on.
    I’m a believer and expect nothing less than the playoffs.

What, Jay Gibbons can’t see? No shit Genious!

8. Joe says:

It seems like Mattingly theory is to give the expected regulars a lot of rest in spring training. I don’t know how that compares to years past as I don’t pay too much attention to lineups during the spring. I anticipate him blending the old lineup with the young lineup shortly other than the old timers out with injuries. Hopefully we will have a congruent lineup going into opening day.

On Robinson, has anyone seen him hit the ball hard or square or on the button? The few times I have seen him on TV this Spring, it is dribblers here and there.

Spring is Spring, but now Spring will soon sprung into the season and these guys are kind of like last years crop — just going out there.

Looks like Ely got lit up today. Not sure he is a major league pitcher that Donnie can could on.

Badger and Lawdog, come on and post. Mark will leave you alone. We need your professional input here.

Thanks for the invite Roger. Nice to know somebody misses us.

Just stopped by to read some positive posts about the next Division Champions, and I find so much “negativity” in here. I see you and Brooklyn are still making sense with inciteful cogent posts. Even Mark seems to see something is wrong with this team.

It is actually looking like it is worse than I thought. I still have the Dogs over the 82 figure, but I am not putting money on it. They look like they are playing at 33 1/3 while the other teams are playing at 45. (That is for you older posters.)

My biggest disappointment so far is that DeJesus didn’t force Uribe to third.

Question for you guys…. does Donnie really plan to bunt out of the two hole in the first inning?

OK, back into my Badger hibernating hole in the ground.

I’m sure Donnie doesn’t need any advice on when to trim the herd. In fact, I’m certain that part of the planning going into ST involves setting tentative dates for roster trimming. I’m sure that we’ll begin to see the regulars more and more over the next 2.5 weeks, especially in the final 7-10 days. And I doubt that’s something that Donnie got from Torre. It’s probably pretty standard procedure for every team, at least those that perceive themselves to be contenders.

“John Ely apparently has learned the hard way. Brox hasn’t yet. That is, take advice.”

Well we know that was the case with Ely from the Gurnick article. I have yet to see anything regarding Broxton in that context. Maybe I missed something. Please enlighten me. It’s one thing not to like Broxton as a player, it’s another to begin accusing him of displaying a bad attitude. When a player struggles it doesn’t necessarily point to a bad attitude or even bad training habits. It’s not unknown for a player to work his tail off and struggle nevertheless.

As regards the Dodgers 5-14 record, remember this. It’s darkest before the dawn.

12. Jae says:

I’m waiting….

Roger,

T-Rob drove in 2 in the 9th!

Looks like the trimming has begun. The following were sent to minor league camp. Monasterios, WDLR, Gordon, Lindsey, Robinson, Guerra, Hoffman, Espino.

I gave up earlier and missed. Glad for him. I was beginning to wonder if he could even hit a ball hard or square.

Looks like the media are saying: Giants, Rockies, Dodgers, Padres, D-Backs.

That is probably about right on paper. Giants have the pitching, the Rockies have bats and some good pitching, the Dodgers have some pitching but yet to prove bats, the Padres are re-building but might surprise, the D-Backs are re-tooling and will struggle.

16. Bluenose Dodger says:

Brooklyn Dodger – I am not dissing Broxton. I have been fully in his corner.

The report I read that I didn’t like was that Rick Honeycutt wanted Brox to pitch from the other side of the rubber. Up to that point Honeycutt said Brox hadn’t tried it. It just seems to me that when you aren’t going well you embrace suggestions from those more experienced than you. Making adjustments is what it is all about.

17. lawdog says:

Roger Dodger, thanks for the invite. I am not sure I’ll post a real opinion about our beloved dogs again until Mark apologies to me for calling me out in threads.. Totally uncalled for, and totally screwed.

To hell with his minions.

• Michael says:

Seen your name over on recent comments and couldn’t resist.

I’ve been here except for brief hissy fits including with Mark for the last 3 or more seasons now. I deeply resent your insuations that everybody here is a mindless idiot playing up to Mark.

I really miss yours, Badgers and Kens take because you have keen baseball minds.

How about everyone just lets it go. WTF, life ain’t fair and sometimes you just need to swallow the lumps even if you didn’t do anything wrong..

I know that the world would be a lot better place if you all, Mark included, could put aside your massive egos and respect each other.

That’s my take, PeaceMan

I am willing. But Mark went over the line with posts aimed right at us. I have never seen that anywhere I have ever been.

And, it would appear that most of the new guys in here, those who don’t know us, don’t want us hanging around pointing out Dodger weaknesses.

Thanks for you pov Michael. You obviously have a good baseball mind and do your homework. I enjoy reading your posts.

18. Leffty says:

hey guys don’t worry too much… spring training is never really that predictive of regular season results… check out the stats:

plenty of teams rebound from horrible springs, including playoff teams!