That’s More Like It

That’s More Like It

The herd is starting to thin

Out of five pitchers used by the Dodgers against the Rangers yesterday, four of them will probably be included on the opening day roster (yes, I’m including Mahay).  No matter what anyone says, Ryan Theriot showed that he had value because he netted Blake Hawksworth, who is appearing more-and-more to be a solid middle-man in the pen.  Thank you Ryan Theriot!

Kershaw Bombed (not)

If you look at the boxscore and see that Clayton Kershaw have up 11 hits and 5 ER in 5-2/3 innings, you would think that the Rangers bombed him, but nothing could be further from the truth.  Most of the hits were soft or of the “seeeing-eye” variety and he only gave up 1 extra-base hit and walked ZERO.  He did obviously run out of gas in the sixth inning when he gave up three of the runs, but overall I thought he did five.

Tale of Two

Hawksworth got the win with a shutout inning, including 2 strikeouts and now has a spring ERA of 1.42.  Mahay’s spring ERA is 13.50, but you need to realize that he will just be a situational lefty and not pitch to everyone like he has been.  Unless Elbert can really step-up his game, I look for Mahay to make the final cut.

It’s Not Only Where You Hit ‘em – It’s When You Hit ‘em

Look at Juan Uribe’s line – batting .238 but with 3 RBI’s – he’s opportunistic!  He will hit .250 and have 80-90 RBI again.  IDJ2 was 2-3, but barring multiple injuries, he’ll start at AAA.  Gwynn, Jr. had another hit and is sitting at .323 – he needs to be in the starting lineup.  With Gibbons in limbo, Gwynn is in the hunt to be part of a platoon with Thames in LF.  Additionally Paul and Kapler did nothing to hurt their chances of making the squad yesterday, although even one of those guys making the team seems unlikely and both are impossible (or not).  Trent Oeltjen just keeps hitting (.467) and can also fly around the bases.

More Cuts

• Jon Link
  • Russ Mitchell
  • JD Closer
  • Roman Colon
  • More to come…

This is when the team needs to step it up and play to win.  There are several players who have played well enough to win a spot… and won’t.  There are some tough choices to be made.

There hasn’t been a Frank McCourt reference in days – I love it!  I love Dodger Baseball – Not a fan of Dodger Divorce!  It will all play out soon enough.

The Rangers are looking for a closer if Feliz starts… I’m just sayin…

14 Responses to “That’s More Like It”

1. Idaho al says:

I am sure you are thinking of Broxton being traded to Texas. That may be a good trade if we could get a third baseman (Young) in return.

I hope Gwynn starts in left field. That would solve the second spot in the batting order and the first two batters (Furcal and Gwynn) would have speed on the bases. The Dodger outfield would be better defensively if Gwynn played center, Either in left and Kemp in right. However, I do not think they will do that until next year when Gwynn has established himself as a starter.

Go Dodgers.

2. SpokaneBob says:

I have been lobbying for Gwynn in center since before spring training. At this point I believe that Donnie doesn’t want to make Kemp or Ethier change positions. It may be because as an ex player, Donnie would perfer to let them stay where they are comfortable. Or it may be that moving Kemp from center would hurt his ego and and Donnie doesn’t want to take the chance that the move would derail Kemp from what appears to be a good start to the season.

Next Year would depends on T-Rob. If he is ready we may not sign Gwynn for 2012, but instead, give cf to Trayvon. Of course it also depends on how Tony plays.

I hope we don’t keep Gibbons.

If Blake can’t play and Uribe moves to 3rd and Carroll plays 2nd, at least it would give us a second place hitter if Marcus is in left.

3. RogerCraig says:

Bristol for Young is only acceptable if the Rangers swallow big dollars!

No more Lawdog, Badger, Ken, Gonzo and now Brooklyn went missing yesterday. There’s an echo in here………… HELLOOOOOOoooooooooo

RC, who is Bristol? Palin?

Yeah the silence is deafening in here today but there really is anything jumping out to me today.
    Now that you mention it Bill, is Gonzo gonzo? I’m sure Brooklyn is fine.

To put it all in perspective, Albert Pujols was batting at a 233 pace with no HRS and 2 RBIs going into todays game. Of course he went yard today with a slam and 5 ribbies, I’m just wondering if Card fans were going off the deep end?

Baby come back

6. Chris says:

I can’t believe all the problems Gibbons has had this spring, which is really too bad because he had such a great end to last season for us. But you’re right Tony Gwynn Jr. needs/deserves to be in the lineup come opening day.

7. Jae says:

There is no crying in baseball. What a bunch of crybabies those guys (maybe they were girls) were.

YUCK!

No, not girls Jae. One of us is a a former decorated combat Marine, taught hand to hand combat at Camp Pendleton, was an All Conference outside linebacker in college and a Junior College assistant baseball and softball coach.

Calling out guys who “could see fear” in the eyes of an All Star closer, and those who think Casey Blake is the next coming, or that JeMarcus Gwybbons would hit .280 with 30 home runs, while saying the Dodgers have ownership issues and are not ready to win the World Series is frowned upon in here. You agree with the owner, or you are asked to leave. It has nothing to do with gender, though it does not surprise me a guy like you would suggest it.

I did a little reading in here recently and it would appear to me that nothing has changed. Brooklyn knows what he is talking about, as does Roger and the truth. Most of the rest of you guys still live in Fantasyland, though I do believe some of you are beginning to realize this team has issues.

I’m still reading. Just been extremely busy (it may last awhile). I have to admit though, it feels good to be missed.

We all miss ya.