Rant & Rave Saturday

Rant & Rave Saturday
  • Any Dodger discussion HAS to include the fact that Bud Selig allegedly denied Frank McCourt the opportunity to get a loan against future TV revenues.  Many people are jumping to the conclusion that this means Frank will have to sell the team, after all, he did the same thing to Tom Hicks and his team went into bankruptcy.  Well, they are two different issues.  Tom Hicks had an entire sports corporation that defaulted on $525 million in notes (and the assets were worth much less).  John Moores WAS allowed to accept a loan from Cox Broadcasting when he owned the Padres, so there is a precedent for it.  I’m not saying that this couldn’t be a power play to force McCourt out, but Bud also has big problems with the Wilpons and the NY Mets, who are nearly $700 million in debt and facing a possible lawsuit of $1 billion dollars from the Bernie Madoff fiasco.  Here’s the interesting part – the Texas Rangers now  have a 20-year cable deal worth $80 mil a year.  I believe the Dodgers could easily command double or triple that. There’s a lot to play out yet, and there’s lots of ways that Frank could structure a deal so that Bud would have no say-so.  It has always been my intention to keep you abreast with the ownership issues (and there are issues), but not give you false hope.  What happens next is anyone’s guess.  Keep in mind there are two issues – (1) Getting rid of McCourt; and (2) getting a better owner.  Just because #1 happens, doesn’t mean #2 is a given.   You just never know, which is why I am reluctant to call for McCourt’s head.  At any rate, he still owns the Dodgers as of TODAY!
  • I heard that Xavier Paul is leaner and stronger this year and now read the reason why:  Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times reports that he has reduced his body fat by working out with Olympic sprinters Lolo Jones and Richard Thompson over the winter.  In that same article Hernandez talks about the dual-headed monster in LF (Gibbons and Thames).  I have always felt that Paul had a major league bat and he is an excellent base-runner.  If his winter workouts have resulted in increased speed, maybe he’ll win that LF spot and be the Dodgers’ #2 hitter.  It’s a possibility…  Also, watch out for Gabe Kapler!
  • Next likely candidate for his arm to breakdown:  Jon Garland.
  • Candidate mostly likely to become the 5th starter if that happens:  Rubby De La Rosa.  I said it, I meant it and I’m here to represent it.
  • Padilla could be back in a month?  I wouldn’t count on that.
  • Tony Jackson of ESPN/LosAngeles writes today about Andre Ethier and Ivan DeJesus, Jr.
  • Dodgers and Giants at Scottsdale, AZ today at 1:05 PM PST – Tune in to KABC for the call.  It’s a split-squad as the rest of the squad will be playing the Angels.
  • Pitching will be Redding, Monasterios, Cormier at Scottsdale and Kuroda and De La Rosa at Tempe.
  • Finally, this from Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com:

General manager Ned Colletti, a stickler for the “presentation” of a team on the field, is pleased with the early work in this camp.

“I think they picked up Donnie’s attitude and his expectations,” Colletti said. “I see it in the crispness of the drills, the conversations they’re having and the extra work they’re doing.”

25 Responses to “Rant & Rave Saturday”

X Paul needs to work on catching fly balls and not just on improving his speed. I agree with Mark that he has a major league bat. Glad to hear he’s in good shape and could be a big surprise this spring. I think the Dodgers have several guys ready to step in if a starter goes down but I’ve heard alot of good stuff about De La Rosa. I hope I can see him pitch in person this spring.

Lots of rain here in So Cal this morning, I hope the weather is dry in Arizona. I’d love to catch a few innings of the Dodger game today. Go Blue

“There’s a lot to play out yet, and there’s lots of ways that Frank could structure a deal so that Bud would have no say-so.”

Lots of ways – I think not. Tell us what they are.

There is debt and there is equity, and there is increased revenue and there is reduced expenses.

If the Dodgers reduce their expenses then they will be able to borrow more money. Right. If the Dodgers reduce their expenses then the team will be even worse and attendence will drop thus placing the Dodgers back in the same Debt Formula problem.

How do the Dodgers raise revenue? Tickets? Parking? An advance against any future TV revenue is Debt. It is called Unearned Revenue. All GAAP basis financial statements will classify that as a Liability. Joint Venture? No sale of the business can occur until Commissioner Gordon rules on the Community Property issue. That is absolute. Any attempt by Frank to enter into a joint venture will result in the immediate filing of a restraining order by Jamie to prevent the disquised transfer of community propoerty assets.

Only a moron would purchse a minority interest in a company controlled by Frank McCourt. That is a fact.

Until a type of debt is determined under law that it is excluded from the definition of debt under the MLB CBA Bud can veto any Debt. Tell us what type of debt is excluded from the definition of Debt under the MLB CBA.

Now that Bud has said no to a $200 mil loan the next issue is whether the MLB CBA can be interpreted to mean that an intra spouse loan in exchange for the community property value of a seperate property business is a loan under the definition of the Debt Fromula. Debt does not always mean debt under the MLB CBA. However, the MLB CBA expires in a year. Will the owners attempt to redefine debt in a manner that will clarify that marital debt counts against an owner? If they do then the writing is on the wall that Frank will never receive any supoort from MLB.

Beside, what was that $200 mil for? It sure sounds like it would be used as a settlement offer to Jamie.

If Frank and Jamie reconcile in a business sense and they both tone down their lifestyles for the benefit of their children then the best that we can hope for is that they keep the Dodgers in a financial duldrum equlivalent to the Japanese economy even if somebody buys a majority stake in the Dodger TV network that does not yet exist. Oh but Jamie will drag this out until the Fox contract expires and then she will claim that the TV Network is an intangible community propoerty assset devloped during their marriage.

If Frank and Jamie continue to fight and Commissioner Gordon orders Frank to buy out Jamie’s value in the Dodgers and Bud says sorry that Debt counts against you and you are in breach of the MLB CBA and you must sell the Dodgers.

Until Commissioner Gordon makes a ruling on whether the Dodgers are community property Frank can do nothing. Until Commissioner Gordon makes a ruling on whether Jamie has a right to a portion of the value of the Dodgers then Frank can do nothing.

What will happen first? Gordon makes all of these decisions or the MLB CBA is renegotiated? The order of these events dictates the limited options that Frank has.

3. SpokaneBob says:

I would rather have Paul win the job outright than see the platoon in left. The team needs as much speed as posible.

I have hopes for some good springs from many players. The more people who step up the better. We have the makings of a good team but I will hold my wins prediction until the end of spring training.

i agree Bob. Predictions at the end of Spring Training — to see the injuries, new step up players, old re-treds that make the team, etc.

And, what the other teams are doing then.

As I left Spring Training last year — I said a .500 club at best.

But I am more hopeful this season. So we wait till the end of March, to the real eyes of March.

It is now 10 till the hour, and in 10 minutes the Phillies and Yankees are on MLB TV Channel, and I think, on the computer MLB.

Dodgers later . . .

Some on MLB channel, some on computer video, some on computer radio.

Ken said:

“Lots of ways – I think not. Tell us what they are.”

Ken,

Oh you of little faith!

This is why they pay me the big bucks! ;)

I’ll give you one way, which is probably the way it is going as we speak:

Frank goes to Fox and says “Bud won’t let you loan me any money and my TV deal is up in 3 years at which time, I will bolt to the Lakers Channel (or some other network) unless you tear up the current contract and negotiate a longer deal.”

So they negotiate a 20 year deal for two billion dollars (just a number I picked), which is $100 million per year, however the contract is front-loaded (perfectly legal) and Frank get $300 million in year one.

There you have it. Pick that one apart! I have others…

• Ken says:

Nice breach of contract. Thank you for showing your true character!

• Jae says:

No breach if Fox agrees and where does character come in? Fox gets their long term deal. McCourt gets his money. Mark has it pegged. I doubt another blogger would have figured that out. You sure didn’t.

great point mark. whatever we all think of mccourt, he is a smart business man (using other people’s money is pure genius).

fox, or the laker channel, will pay a lot to broadcast dodger games.

that potential deal is the ONLY way frank remains owner. otherwise he will be forced out by his own lack of money.

i think i’m happy with either scenario….

8. DodgerDude says:

Before I get rid of McCourt, I want to know who the new guy will be. Dudes, he might be worse!

The Laker channel is Fox Sports West. 692 on Direct TV. That one wasn’t wash………..

Damn it “won’t”

The Lakers play their away games on KCAL 9 and the home games on Fox Sports West. But I get the idea.

12. Jae says:

Check the news the Lakers will have their own channel…

Wow, I have being eaten alive.

I have both Dodger games on MLB-radio.

Castro pop’s up. Hoffmann is up . . . yes, it is Spring Training time.

I’ll be a monkeys uncle. They had better not raise my cable bill. Time Warner and the Lakers for 20 years 3 Billion.

Billy,

That\’s my point – the Dodgers are arguably worth more than that!

When will these guys stop doubting me?

Like Lawdog says \”I\’m a legend in my own mind.\”

;)

Well, so far, this spring looks like last spring.

In the middle of the 5th, Giants 8, Dodgers 1. And, end of the 5th, Angels 3, Dodgers 1.

17. Willie Mays says:

Go home! Your season is over.

18. RogerCraig says:

Brilliant Mark,

Is that something McCourt could really pull off? Would MLB allow it? Would Fox do it? That never occurred to me, but I’m still not sure I want him as owner.

Games 1 and 2. Down and out. Lots of guys played.

Against the Giants, 15 different Dodger hitters had 1 hit each. No one had more than one. Only 3 Ks (Carroll, Barajas, & Paul). LOB, most were: Carroll-3, Ellis-3, and Miles-3. RBIs = Smith with 2, Kapler with 1.

Pitching: BB only 2 pitchers walk anyone, being Felix-1, Valdez-2. Dodger pitchers only had 2 Ks, 1 by Redding, 1 by Monasterios. Hardest hit: Monasterios 1 inning, 5 hits, 4 ER. Followed by Villarreal with 1 inning, 4 hits and 4 ER.

Oh, Monasterios & Villarreal have a 36.00 ERA.

Angel game.

Dodgers only had 3 hits: Mercado (c), Kemp, and Gimenez (DH).

Pitching: Kuroda, 2 innings, 1 hit, 1 K. Maybe the quickest gone was Vasquez with 0.1 innings credit giving up 3 walks. His ERA is 27.00

Goodbye Joe!!!

Hellot Joe!!! Our new executive vice president of MLB operations.

Well that sound like a lot of free lunches, and dinners.

Lots of travel if he wants. He will still live in LA. So he and Tommy can take a second job as food evaluators of the greater LA area.

22. Willie Mays says:

Pablo has lost 38 pounds. He’s down to 240! Look out! He will kick some Dodger butt!

23. SpokaneBob says: