Jason Bay Watch

Jason Bay Watch

OK, don’t get nervous – Jason Bay isn’t coming to LA!

Steve Dilbeck of The LA Times interviewed Ned Colletti yesterday, and Ned hit the nail on the head when he said:

“The question I have this year, that I didn’t have last year ago, is really rebounding from last season — ’08 and ’09 were two really good years,” said General Manager Ned Colletti. “We gained a lot, players matured a lot, got more understanding of the dynamics of competing at this level and playing in October.

“Then last year we obviously took a step back. We need to see a passion and an edge right from the outset. I believe it will happen, but I’ll feel better about it once it’s here.”

It wasn’t that long ago that people on this board were pining for a Jason Bay to play LF.  Many of these same fans blasted Matt Kemp for his play in 2011.  After 3 good years (30+ HR’s)  at ages 25-27, Jason Bay tanked at age 28, dropping to 21 HR and a .247 BA.  Then he put a string of 3 more years with 30+ HR and tanked (really tanked) last year to 6 HR.

From a baseball standpoint, Matt Kemp is still learning how to play the game, and while I do consider that he regressed in 2010, he has improved his HR totals EVERY year from 7 to 10 to 18 to 26 to 28 in his 5 years in the majors. Not many players can say that!  A 6th year in a row with improved HR totals would be extra-ordinary!   I think that as Dodger fans we expected much more from him, but he hasn’t been a chump – even in a down year!  If Matt Kemp played 81 more games in a hitter neutral park, you might see 40 HR.  Shoot, you still might see 40 HR!  The Sporting News picks Kemp to be in the Top 10 in N.L. MVP voting this year.  At least someone has some confidence in him.

The naysayers were right last year, and they are sure gloating, but if you go back and look at their posts they were naysayers EVERY year and when the Dodgers did bad in 2010, they said “I was right” and when they did good in 2008 and 2009, it was “Yeah, but…”  They naysayers are NEVER wrong.

As usual, I will hope for the best and realize that 2010 was just a bad year, not a trend!

DODGER NEWS:

According to The LA Times, the Dodgers signed Ron Mahay, who is a true situational lefty.  It’s not a bad deal.  He may or may not make the team.

18 Responses to “Jason Bay Watch”

1. Jaydavis says:

This is our year

2. Captain Moose says:

I don’t recall naysayers in ’08 and ’09.

I never really cared much for McCourt, you all know that, but I didn’t read any writing on the wall until the morning I read the McCourts were getting a divorce. And it wasn’t that difficult to read those tea leaves – a pugnacious couple that had to borrow to get in the door, litigious real estate brokers leveraged to the mastoids ……..

It’s not about the team with me. It’s about the owner.

Captain,

Let me clarify for you. If you don’t agree with Mark. You are a naysayer.

The knock on Kemp is not that he is a “chump”. It is that he has mental lapses. He may still be learning the game but at some point the lack of knowledge comes from not taking in the knowledge being passed along to you. How long do you bnlame the teacher before you realize you are dealing with a bad student? Grady Little & co (bad example) couldn’t reach him, Torre/Bowa/Schaefer couldn’t get through to him, so now it’s on to Donnie/Davey Lopes & crew. It is time for him to grow up and be the ball player we all know he can be. It’s about Matt’s maturity level now.

He may have the most raw talent I have ever seen but unless he harnesses it and takes advantage of the baseball minds around him it will all be a waste!

4. Captain Moose says:

“How long do you bnlame the teacher before you realize you are dealing with a bad student?”

ah, I think you have post most rucid point on topic glasshopper.

I was wondering what the real difference between Lopes and Bowa actually is. Lopes is from the same generation and the same no-nonense mold as Bowa. Can Lopes get through to this guy? Now that Kemp has his head out of Rhianna’s lap, will he listen and make the necessary changes? Does he still look at strike one down the middle and swing at strike three low and away? Can he finally learn how to take routes to balls? How to run the bases correctly?

Can Furcal return to form and stay on the field for 150 games? Can Gwynn earn the the two hole spot? Can Ethier get 30 and 100? Can Loney, can Uribe, can Blake, can Billingsley, can Broxton, can Jansen, can Bellasario……… can McCourt? (good idea)

if they all can, this could be a very interesting year for the Dodgers.

I guess I had a typo there but you got my point.

I am guessing Lopes is Kemps last, best shot at tapping into the talent he has inside that body. I have no doubt that a change of scenery would turn Kemp into a super star and motivate him to be a absolute monster. The trick is how do we get him that motivated without changing uniforms?

Gwynn could be HUGE if he can hit even a little in the 2 spot. I look for a bounce back year if Andre is healthy. 30HR/100RBI is very doable for him. Same with Loney, this is his make or break season. I have always liked him sine I saw him in a spring game in 2004. The kid can hit. Power should come and I think this is the year we see him go 20+ HR/ 100RBIs. I’d take that!!

6. RogerCraig says:

Maybe there’s a reason why Bowa isn’t in Philadelphia or some of the other places he was managed or coached. Bowa was very polarizing as a player, and of course the opposition hated him, but so did many of his teammates. He had his share of battles with them. So, don’t just assume that it was Kemp – maybe it wWAS Boawa!

Texas is looking at trading Michael Young again.

He’d a be a perfect #2 hitter, and vet leader for us, at 2b.

Granted he gets $16mil a year, but ned’s forever giving money away in deals; this time he should be getting money from Texas in any deal.

Will Texas take back Padilla as part of a Micheal Young deal? Throw in Mahay and call it a day.

Why do some people directly misquote or manipulate what a person has said in order to validate their point?

I\’ll tell you why: Because they think that the ends justify the means and they are incapable of logic as adjusted human beings.

They want so badly to “prove” their point they make even the most feeble attempts, which may include misusing a quote.

PATHETIC!

… and I know what you do!

You are Sick! Sick! Sick!

Have a nice day!

11. Captain Moose says:

Wo… where did that come from?

Pent up hostilities maybe? Nothing on this thread warrants that.

The horse$#*t weather back there getting to you mover? Come on out west, it’s sunny and high 60′s in Arizona. Soon, you can go dump some of your H2O cash on McGoo. Things will be better for you then.

12. RogerCraig says:

I think it’s more than the weather…

The Yankee’s are signing Chavez. That sucks

14. Willie Mays says:

Hahahahahahahahahahhah

Chavez signed a minor league deal with the Yankees. Maybe he didn’t get much of an offer from the Dodgers or anyone else. Perhaps he wasn’t all that impressive in his workouts. I don’t think Chavez not signing with the Dodgers is anything to get very worked up over. Signing him was always a crap shoot, and probably still is. Yankees also inked Ronnie Belliard to a minor league deal.

I’m not sure that if Kemp has a big year that it will be attributable to anyone but Matt Kemp himself. Lopes will probably help, and so might Mattingly, and others as well, but whatever Kemp does will likely be largely spurred on by the wake-up call that was last year. I don’t believe it’s all that unusual for a some young players to take two steps forward after taking one backward. Whatever the reason or motivation, I’m just hoping that Matt Kemp has it in him to take those giants steps forward.

By the way, if Chavez has a decent spring but doesn’t break camp with the Yankees, it’s not inconceivable that he could end up with the Dodgers or some other big league team. I’m sure there will be teams keeping an eye on him.

17. Captain Moose says:

We have Blake at $5.25 million playing third base. He will be spelled by Uribe and Carroll. That IS 3rd base for the Dodgers.

We have what could be a very strong middle of the order with Ethier, Kemp and Loney. The top of our order is iffy and the bottom has a lot of outs in it. We will count on our pitching to keep us in games.

Right now, the Giants, Braves, Reds, Phillies, Cards, and Rockies are considered to have better teams than do the Dodgers. The Cubs and Brewers are rated about even, depending on where you look. I figure the over/under on L.A. wins is somewhere around 85, though that is a guess. Last year, after going to the NLCS the year before, they had the Dodgers O/U at 84 1/2 wins…. losing Wolf and Hudson without compensation didn’t sit well with many. Didn’t sit well with me either, but some here didn’t seem to care. I can’t imagine after last year’s performance and not adding any offense to speak of, that the line would change all that much – especially in light of what many think of other teams in the N.L.. If it’s 85, I’ll take the over, and that is wishful, positive thinking, which is required to be eligible to post here.

So, in early February, we sit just waiting for the season to get started, hoping that our guys come out motivated to prove all the “experts” wrong.