It’s Time To Ramble

It’s Time To Ramble

… and I’m a rambling man, so here are my latest ramblings:

I'm Just Wild and Crazy!

The Good

• 2011 will see a resurgence of James Loney, Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp.  They will combine for 340 RBI, 85 HR and put up a combined .296 BA (there, I said it!);
  • Casey Blake will have a career year – just look at his best season and I think 2011 will be even better;
  • Juan Uribe will hit 15 more home-runs than all of the Dodgers second basemen of 2010;
  • The Dodger starters will pitch 1,000 innings;
  • Clayton Kershaw will be in the TOP 3 in Cy Young voting, Billingsley Top 10;
  • The Trio of Vicente Padilla, Hong-Chih Kuo and Kenley Jansen will save 42 games; and
  • Don Mattingly will be N.L. Manager of the Year.

The Bad

• Jon Broxton will continue his downward spiral and be released by the Dodgers in July;
  • The Marcus Thames/Jay Gibbons platoon will  go nowhere;
  • Rafael Furcal will experience more injury problems in 2011 and play less than 80 games; and
  • Juan Castro will retire and become another assistant for Ned (maybe that is GOOD news).

Off-the-wall ramblings by yours truly…

32 Responses to “It’s Time To Ramble”

1. Willie Mays says:

Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain will be 1,2 in the Cy Young, especially after Wainright is gone.

Contract year for Raffy. He will not play 162 games but I’ve got him down for 120+. Broxton? Who the hell knows. I think it’s between the ears. Captain Loose still stands bye his meltdown was caused by Joey T. over using him in a 5 day peroid throwing 99 pitches. If Broxton has a melt down in 2011? Who’s fault will it be? Stay tuned on that one.

I’m not excited about the LF Platoon so I’m hoping for Gwynn or T-Rob to step up. The Bench and outfield defense would be stronger if the platoon doesn’t happen. Juan Castro? Does he sale coffee?

I happen to agree that Casey Blake is going to rebound this year. No stat predictions as I’m not that brave.

If the 5 penciled in starters stay healthy, we should win games. The bullpen should be soild without Broxton and great with him rebounding.

From all things I’m hearing, Donny B has it going on. The players are believing again.

So over all, we have as good of a chance as any team in the West.
    Fight on…….

P.S. Willie, Did the Philly’s move to the AL this season?

MLB rejected Frank’s request to Fox for a $200million advance.

This is actually major news. If Frank can’t afford stuff, does he strip salary to be able to pay for other salary?

Does a a new group try buying us? Will Frank actually sell a share of the Dodgers?

4. Jaydavis says:

You can’t be manager of the year finishing 3rd. Until we fill the holes at LF, 3B and C I can’t see this team scoring enough runs. Just maybe a prospects or two will get the nod. the fat lady is warming up—Selig rejects proposal for Fox to loan about $200 million to McCourt.

And Bud will allow Frank to borrow $200 mil by the start of the 2011 season. Yea that’s the ticket! It appears that Bud has begun to grow some little Buds.

As the players learn to respect Donnie they will simultaneously realize how bad Torre actually was in 2010. This will boost their confidence because they will believe that they were not the main problem in 2010, thus allowing them to take the monkey off their backs and concentrate in 2011.

Evidence is starting to grow that Hope may be justified in 2011.

• Ray says:

oh yes….some like to dwell in the past….I like to look to the future, and things are looking very positive for the Dodgers under Don Mattingley.

I’m positive that it would be counterproductive to focus our thoughts on Mr. McCourts checkbook or personal life. It would start WW III all over again in here. The bills will get paid.

7. Corey says:

I also agree that Torre screwed Broxton up bad last year in that Yankee game. You don’t leave a closer in there to get pounded and throw as many pitches as he left Broxton in there for. First of all you could see Broxton just didn’t have “it” whatever that is. Second the guy had sweat pouring off from him and you could see he wsa just plain gassed. I know that his velocity wasn’t the same consistently for the remainder of the year after that game. Maybe it was just in his head, but it was still Torre’s doing.

Michael,

I don\’t know if it is counterproductive. It\’s a fact that McCourt is seeking funding and Fox was an obvious choice. I\’m sure he has other cards to play, but FOX was a good source.

It is worth considering what the next move might be.

9. MillaBlue says:

It’s all on Raffy, Kemp, Ethier and Loney. The LF position can be filled in a last trade if the team is going anywhere.

I am not as optimistic about Blake. Not at all.

The problem with loaning Frank money is weather he can honestly pay it back. Also when you consider the real chance thatthe Dodgers might be for sale within the next few years, why would you settle for a share of the team when you can have a controlling interest by partnering with another group.

Franks only real chance at securing monies with television rights as collateral is by seeking a deal with Time Warner such as the Lakers just did. An advance on a future deal could be worth millions in the short term. But honestly the future looks dim financially.

How do we afford Kemp, Ethier, Bills, Kershaw? The demonization of Loney has begun, look for him to leave soon and be spun off for prospects. The same will be true with the rest of this young core. I would bet that if we are out of the racce by the summmer the trash talk will begin again towards Kemp and maybe even Ethier. The will be made to look bad and sent away for young CHEAP talent. A classic Pittsburgh/Kansas City move!

I hope Mark is right. I honestly do. I just can’t see how Frank gets out of this corner he is stuck in now. My love for the Dodgers will not change but I am sure hoping the franchise can get back to where it once was. And where it belongs!!

11. Willie Mays says:

The Mets have way over $650 mil in debt.

Casey Blake’s career year would appear to be 2004:

.271/.354/.486

28 HR
    36 doubles
    3 triples
    152 games
    587 AB

Given the stated plan to give him regular rest throughout the season, I don’t see how he reaches, much less exceeds those numbers. Yet with regular rest, I can see him having a productive year, and being an important asset. And although I would have to see how it goes, I can even visualize him doing well in the #2 hole, given his ability to hit to right field. I also think that in that role he might be more conscious of making contact, and strike out less. And if he makes more consistent contact his power numbers would likely not suffer, at least not much. He did well when he hit 8th last year, and although hitting #2 is not the same, there are some similarities with respect to getting on base.

As for Broxton, there is no way I see him being released. Traded yes, released no. However, I am still in the camp that believes that there is more than a reasonable chance that he will bounce back this year, perhaps all the way, but at least part of the way. And there is no doubt that he was abused by Torre with that 48 pitch outing, and the 90 pitches he threw over a five day period. If the back end of the pen is stronger with Kuo and Jansen, and Padilla is able to begin contributing sometime around mid-season, there is a lot less likelihood that Broxton will have to be abused this year. I also think that Mattingly is less likely to do it in any scenario.

For those here, or looking in here at this Dodger board — I do not think that the present Dodger ownership has been helping the team with its image. Loans, no loans, wife, expenses, drama, more drama . . .

But no matter — they are not as important as the “Dodger tradition” of more than 100 years. If they clean up their act and continue — great. If they are forced to sell — bring on the next ownership.

As much as I like Badger as a fellow Dodger fan, I will be listening, reading, and going to a few games if I am able.

I have not checked, but when do the Dodgers have some TV action of inter-squad game or first exb. game???

Blake is resisting resting very much. I think he will probably play in 140+ games unless he\’s injured. I hear that he may be in the best shape of his life.

I hope I am wrong about Broxton, but my feeling is that he will morph into a RH George Cheryl.

Boy, do I hope I am wrong!

If Broxton is horrible again this year, there is simply no market for him.

I think Broxton will be fine in the end.

If I were Ned, looking over Don’s shoulder, I would place an influence person over him to “get” him in the right mode of pitching. To “get his head straight.” Learn how to with, with-in himself.

Maybe he is really better as the 7th and 8th inning guy. Not the same pressure. Go out there and get ‘em Johnny.

Can I be some other color than green?

I have no clue how they do that, unless it\’s geographical. Then you can move…

;)

Spring has sprung. The games have begun. There are 3 games on the clock today and we all know what tomorrow is; It’s time for “Dodger Baseball”
    If you have a MLBTV subscription you can begin watching the games now. I also believe the MLB network has some along with FoxSports PRIME for those lucky enough to receive that on their cable or sattelite package. Play Ball

itd be nice for blake to have a good year, but he won’t make or break us.

a decent/solid year from blake is all we need because the guys that need to have good years are ethier kemp loney kershaw billingsly.

cant wait for these games to start!! come on trob win that LF job!!!!

Blake can resist all he wants. If Mattingly is running the show, then Blake will rest, like it or not. I’ve heard that “best shape of his life” stuff too often. Didn’t Russell Martin use that line one year, only to turn around now and tell us that he wasn’t really in shape? With Uribe able to play 3B and Carroll 2B, I think the Dodgers have a couple of solid veterans able to give Blake a breather on occasion. It doesn’t mean that he can’t get into some of those games he doesn’t start as part of a double switch, as a defensive replacement or a pinch hitter. Over time, even he might come to appreciate that getting some occasional time off can elevate his game over the long haul.

If not at the beginning, maybe at some point in the season IDJ2 finds himself up with Dodgers and getting into games. Casey Blake may appear in 150 games, he’s just likely to start them less often than in the past.

I also expect that Raffy will be getting more time off. I only hope that having his $12 million option vest at 600 ABs doesn’t become a contentious issue.

Of course, injuries might also play a role.

Jon Weisman has a good look at how Blake plays with additional rest and it ain’t good.

I know it’s just one season, and I think he needs to take a day a week off, but at this juncture, I have to say that Casey Blake is our 3B.

Uribe can play there once a week, which means Carroll can play 2B once a week and SS once a week for Raffy. Of course, Carroll may play 2B both times and Uribe may stay at SS for Blake and then Furcal.

23. Dusto says:

ok, more than just “meh”.

I’d really consider mixing things up where they need to be mixed. Loney and Blake should be platooned at first. Uribe should take over the majority of the time at third and a battle for second should evolve. (My vote goes to the OBP heavy Carroll and bat him second).

Ethier should be moved to left, Kemp to right, and Gwynn in center. Gibbons can be the lefty bat off the bench. Thames can go home! and Navarro/Ellis/Barajas should battle for the starter/backup position. None of those three should just be given the job.

I\’m down with that, Dusto.

I would do it in a heartbeat.

1. Furcal SS

2. Carroll 2B

3. Ethier LF

4. Kemp RF

5. Blake/Loney 1B

6. Uribe 3B

7. Barajas/Navarro C

8. Gwynn CF

Great Defense!

Not sure if Carroll can hold up. Maybe DeJesus!

I think the process should play out.

Let the cream rise to the top…

and cut the cheese!

;)

Dusto,

However, I think you have to see IF Loney can elevate his game and IF Blake can re-gain some of his. If not, cut bait and go with your plan.

If Loney doesn’t elevate his game the Dodgers probably go nowhere. Loney needs to play everyday, with maybe an occasional day off when he’s replaced by Casey Blake, or even Marcus Thames. And if he doesn’t elevate his game, then perhaps Jerry Sands will get serious consideration at 1B next year (barring the signing of Pujols or Fielder). If Loney can put together two halves like his first half last year, that would probably put an end to the bulk of the criticism that he has been getting.

The numbers regarding Casey Blake’s play after days off last year doesn’t tell me how he does on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th days he plays after a day off. It’s not a question of what he does on the day following a day or two off, it’s a question of his stamina in a year he will turn 38, and how well he’ll hit throughout the season, including the dog days of August and September. If memory serves, Casey Blake got off to a good start last year. How much of that was the result of his being fresh in the early part of the season? I tend to think that he will perform better if he’s on a structured rest schedule throughout the year.

28. lawdog says:

I wonder why Timmons kept that picture of himself practicing the one polka which is all the music he was rumored to have learned how to play on the one instrument he was said to actually be able to play without taking a dozen retakes. mastered. Of course those glowing comments and formal requests for his “one man band” performance by his mother to play at the wedding between his biological father and herself some 14 years after his birth. His father was shown the picture and was never seen in Indiana again.

Lawdog,

You continue to reinforce the correctness of my decision by your class (or lack thereof).