I Told You It Was Bad…

I Told You It Was Bad…

According to multiple sources, Vicente Padilla will have surgery to repair a nerve/muscle problem in his arm.  He could miss the whole season, or not.  However, he can’t be included in the Dodger’s plans this season.  Padilla was a key part of the pitching staff, so we can’t minimize his loss.

So, now it on to PLAN C (Plans A & B included Belisario and Padilla).  It’s a good thing Ned signed a whole stable of pitchers.  I’d say Kenley Jansen, Scott Elbert and Blake Hawksworth just saw their chances of making the club just improve quite a bit.  Eric Stephen of TrueBlueLA has a great article on Hawksworth today.

Baseball America includes only 3 Dodgers in their TOP 100 Prospects, and Jerry Sands is not on the list.  Here are the Dodgers on the list and their rankings:

#26  Dee Gordon

#89  Zach Lee

#90  Rubby DeLaRosa

Here are their rankings by organization (number of prospects in BOLD):

9 Royals
7 Rays
6 Braves, Yankees
4 Blue Jays, Indians, Nationals, Phillies, Reds, Twins
3 Angels, Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Mariners, Mets, Padres, Pirates, Rangers, Red Sox, Rockies, Tigers
2 Astros, Athletics, Cardinals, Cubs, Giants, Orioles, White Sox
1 Marlins
0 Brewers

On Sands absence, Jim Callis was asked the following and provided his answer:

Q. No Jerry Sands? What are the reservations that justify keeping him off the list, and was there any disagreement regarding Sands?
A. Jim Callis: Sands was on the short list of 10-15 guys who just missed. Two of us had him on Top 100s, and we all had him on our Top 150s. I had him ranked at No. 136. I respect Sands (No. 136 still puts him in the top 1 percent of minor leaguers), but it’s hard to make it as a righthanded-hitting first baseman. I think he’s good, just not good enough to crack the Top 100.

12 Responses to “I Told You It Was Bad…”

I’m agog with all that is happening. 1. Will Ned push panic button and sign Jeff Weaver. To tell you the truth, I never even heard od Hawksworth before he became a Dodger but sounds like a keeper. I cannot believe there is any doubt about Kenley making the team.
    2. Just got done with the list before coming here and I’m like OK, where’s our kids, c’mon man. I guess top 1% puts a little better spin on it.
    3. Looks like its status quo in KC. A whole oven full of stars to develope that they can trade away for more prospects.

2. DodgerDude says:

Only lots of KC ‘s players have been busts .

Gee, I wonder just how many and what kind of letters and e-mail messages the baseball beat writers for the Dodgers (and other clubs) receive every week.

A team can never have enough pitching. And now, some of the lower arms on the staff are feeling great, with a possible open slot in the pen / part time starter available.

I will miss Manny’s presence now. No one like him on the roster.

I don’t recall, but was Loney, Kemp or Ethier ever in the top 100? Interesting that Callis thinks of Sands as a righthanded hitting first baseman. From what I understand, he’s not all that bad in the outfield. With Loney currently in place at 1B, I’m guessing Sands’ best shot with the Dodgers will be in the outfield. If he was considered an outfielder, would that have changed his ranking?

It’s not good news about Padilla, and I don’t minimize it. But according to the link below it’s possible he could be back mid-season or thereabouts. No doubt his absence will open opportunities for Hawksworth, Troncoso, Monasterios, Link, Elbert, etc. Maybe if he makes sudden progress, RDLR could step up as an alternative. If we get good work out of Broxton, Kuo, Jansen and Guerrier, I’m guessing that the Dodgers will be able to more than muddle through until Padilla returns, if at all. It’s not good news, but it’s likely not devastating either.

The loss of Padilla will also better be absorbed if we get a pick-up in the offense, and the starters are able to consistently give us 6-7 innings.

I know Padilla is not having major surgery and he COULD be back – it\’s just that you never know when there is surgery.

Mark, on that I agree. But even so, although I think Padilla has the potential to be an extremely important piece out of the pen, his loss doesn’t have to be devastating. I still think the Dodger pen is strong, and that there are other pieces that could reasonably replace him. And as I noted, if the offense picks up significantly, and the starters for the most part go deeper into games (made easier with a stronger offense), we still are strong enough in the pen to hold onto leads in the 6th through 9th innings. And if Padilla can come back about mid-season, that would be an added boost. In fact, in that scenario, Padilla would be a lot fresher going down the stretch and into the postseason, if we get there.

Same surgery that Gagne had? You never know.

All three should make it to start the season. Will Elbert stick?

Lets’ not talk about Prospects!

RDLR pitches tomorrow and I like prospects.

This blog is a lot about prospects!

More than likely we will see a prospect or two playing for the Dodgers this season (pre-September). It’s also likely that none will actually open the season in LA. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see call-ups sometime during the first half of the season. Even a trade or two could happen. Rest assured that the team that ends the season will not be a carbon copy of the one that begins it.

That is a fact! It\’s going to be fun to watch Sands, Robinson, Miller, Gordon, Lee and De La Rosa this summer. One or two could be ready by the All-Star Break.

11. lawdog says:

So Timmons is so interested in what I have to say he follows me around like a puppy looking for quotes he can bring back to this pathetic excuse for a blog and make himself feel important, eh?

This is no blog. This is monologue by an idiot.

What amazes me about Timmons is that he apparently keeps lists of what posters say at any given time on any given subject if he thinks he might “NEED” to attack that poster on the subject at some later time. I mean, what kind of whack is that? The poor bastard apparently has nothing better to do with his time while his business makes him hundreds of thousands per year while he tricks a couple of fans with talent into writing columns for his sorry little blog for free. He actually sucked me into doing that for him on a daily basis for the better part of a minor league season.

Then he takes what you say out of context to make it appear you’ve said something you haven’t–the worst kind of lying that only the most rabid, unbalanced political commentator will try to resort to and then encourage his mindless minions to “pile on” and make his “buddy” “prove a negative” if he want s to continue to express is opinion (like Dubya challenging Sadam to prove that WMD didn’t exist in Iraq if he wanted to avoid being liquidated by Cheney’s showing of shock and awe..)

But the very worst thing about this piece of work is that he won’t read what you write on his site, but he’ll come way over to the blog he abandoned because he was so obviously way more intelligent than those who post here to argue with things which happen to be said about him because he’s suddenly taken to acting in a totally bizarre fashion. Yep. Timmons is truly a legend in his own mind. A control freak who would destroy everyone who happens to hold an opinion which differs from his if he could.

Timmons is a living, breathing example of all that’s wrong with our world.

To top it all off, this insecure maniac actually comes to the site which he wrote off years ago because it wasn’t good enough for him to read what those of us who communicate with each other here might have to say about something he didn’t like about the way he runs his blog and his business.

12. DodgerDude says:

You are a pathetic bitter old man and the minor league report you wrote was awful. I quit coming here because it was so bad. You should have had to pay Mark to allow you to write such trash.

You got what you deserved – Now leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!