He is OhSoBeliSorryOh

He is OhSoBeliSorryOh

Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times has just reported the Ronnie Belisario may not be allowed into the country (or maybe it’s that they won’t allow him out of Venezula) this year.  It sounds to me that it is likely some form of legal trouble, but I think we will find out soon enough.  In part, he reported:

Ronald Belisario could miss the 2011 season, according to his agent, Paul Kinzer.

Pitchers and catchers were supposed to report to the Dodgers’ spring-training complex on Wednesday, but Belisario wasn’t there. The hard-throwing reliever reported late to camp in each of the last two years because of visa problems.

His latest problems could be more serious.

Kinzer would not specify why Belisario was still in his native Venezuela. But asked if Belisario was having trouble securing a visa, Kinzer replied, “It goes a little deeper than that.”

Kinzer said he didn’t think Belisario would be able to enter the United States at any time this year.

“Unless some things change drastically, I’m not very optimistic at this point,” Kinzer said.

Maybe Ned saw this coming, which may be why he signed so many relievers this offseason.

13 Responses to “He is OhSoBeliSorryOh”

1. SpokaneBob says:

The way he pitched last year, I don’t think Ned was counting on him for much. If he can ever get his act together he may be some help, but in the meantime, I am not going to lose any sleep over him.
    I think the pen will be a positive for us this year.

2. coloblue says:

No surprise Bellasario being late…
    not a problem..we have Lindblom, Elbert, Troncoso knocking on door and Monasterios as well…as well as some vet FA guys..

i think bellesario knows he’d never beat out merkin valdez for a dodger bullpen spot anyway

4. MillaBlue says:

Dear south american pitchers to be, when you have made it to MLB, wave good-bye and move your family to Montana!!! This isn’t rocket science people. We are the Land of the Free!

5. RogerCraig says:

and I thought he was probably a rocket scientist.

I was about to say, sometimes teams keep guys on the major league roster even though they should be in the minors — learning how to play baseball for the major league level.

And i was about to say, that is probably true about Belisario. Then I looked up his record.

Signed to the Marlins in 1999, at the age of 16.

Played in the rookie-class Venezuelan Summer League in 2000 and rookie-class Gulf Coast League in 2001.

Then I looked at his minor league stats. 2001-2004 – looks like 11 minor league teams.

2005-2006 — no record.

2005 – Tommy John surgery on his right elbow.

2006 – Quote: “because of an unspecified suspension.”

2007-2008 – 4 different minor league teams.

Then the Dodgers in 2009-2010.

He is now 27 years old.

I would just let him go. Cannot count on his to be present, and there are issues.

I suspect that this increases Scott Elbert’s chances of opening the season with the Dodgers. Barring injury or trades, Broxton, Kuo, Padilla and Guerrier are certainties to open the season with the Dodgers. I also expect that Jansen will open the season in LA, unless there’s something they want him to work on in the minors. That likely leaves two open spots, one of which would have belonged to Belisario had he reported. The three most likely candidates for those two spots are RHP’s Troncoso and Hawksworth, and LHP Elbert. Given that Kuo is the only other lefthander (outside of the NRI’s), I suspect that Elbert’s chances of opening with the Dodgers increased dramatically, if only because he’s lefthanded, with the remaining spot going to either Hawskworth (out of options), or Troncoso. It’s possible that an NRI (or Ely/Link/Monasterios) will step up in spring training. However, if Elbert doesn’t pitch himself off the team in ST, I expect that his chances of opening in LA just got a lot stronger. Of course, with Belisario gone, everyone who was behind him moves up a notch, so Elbert is not the only beneficiary. Maybe Lawdog will grab a spot in the pen.

8. lawdog says:

Just put me in BD! I’m ready to play! At 61 years of age I won’t blow too many fastballs by major league hitters, but I can keep them off balance with an assortment of curves, sliders, change ups and screwballs.

You know what they say: “If you can’t dazzle them with brillance, baffle them with bullshit!”

Just what is Belly’s problem with the visa anyway? Surely our fearless leader with all his inside connections with Dodger management knows the score on this.

I think if it was Kershaw, someone from the Dodgers would have been filling out the paperwork and standing over him waiting for a signature. It’s Bellysorryasses loss. He’ll have to scrub alot of cars to make the kind of money he would have if he wasn’t such a lazy/dumbass. File it under, Who cares………

2012

New LF $5,000,000

Thames $1,000,000
    Gwynn $675,000
    $70,500,000

Deferred $10,000,000

$123,500,000

Sounds more serious than a mere visa problem, especially given the comments of his agent. Like Mark said, “we will find out soon enough.” This isn’t good for Belisario, but I believe the Dodgers have more than enough options to get through this OK. Might even work in their favor over the long term.

Meanwhile, Scott Podsednick is might be wondering “what was I thinking” when he declined the $2 million option to return to LA.

12. SpokaneBob says:

Brooklyn, I think you are right about how this could help Elbert make the team and if he could establish himself it may indeed work out longterm to be a net positive.