Evidently Not Deep Enough

Evidently Not Deep Enough

Vicente Padilla:  7th and 8th inning guy, long-man, spot-starter and closer.   He  would have filled an important role in the pen.  He could have closed if Broxton faltered (knock on wood that won’t happen), or he would have been the 6th starter if one of the Big Five went down.  It ain’t happening though.  Surgery tomorrow and while it’s his forearm, it is surgery and he could be back before the All-Star Break,  after the All-Star Break, back next year or his career could be over.  You never know once they start cutting.  I wish him A SPEEDY RECOVERY and have every reason to believe he will be back this year (fingers crossed).

Ned was proud that he put together a rotation six starters deep.  Evidently, it wasn’t deep enough, and that begs the question – who will be the Sixth Starter?  Jon Wiseman at Dodger Thoughts has an eloquent summary of the candidates… and the answer is:  Who the heck knows? Ely?  Monasterios?  De La Rosa?  Redding?  I think he forgot Jeff Weaver, and I can understand why, but Jeff might be the best option.  He seems to have a good year every two or three years.  At any rate, I think the 6th starter will come from the minors.  If the Dodgers need one, he’ll probably come from AAA.  Let’s hope that the team goes through the season and each starter will start AT LEAST 31 GAMES!  Yeah, that’s the ticket!  No likely though.  I guess you can never really have enough pitching.

Steve Dilbeck of The LA Times pretty well summarizes what the current pecking order is in the Dodgers pen:

If the Dodgers open the season with seven relievers, locks are Jonathan Broxton, Hong-Chih Kuo, Matt Guerrier, and now, probably Blake Hawksworth.

Kenley Jansen, whom the Dodgers might have been tempted to start the season at triple-A to hone his still raw closing skills, now appears in a good position to make the season-opening 25-man roster.

Which at the very least still leaves two positions open. And there is always the possibility the Dodgers might temporarily elect to start the season with eight relievers.

That leaves an open field for the rest of the contenders — Ramon Troncoso, Ron Mahay, Lance Cormier, Scott Elbert, Mike MacDougal, Jon Link, and later, Eveland. And if they wanted a long reliever, Carlos Monasterios or John Ely.

The season is young.  There’s a lot of things that need to happen first.  Let’s settle in and watch.  At least, the Dodgers aren’t losing their Ace.  It looks like the Cards are facing that.  Too bad for Adam Wainright.  Awesome pitcher….

UPDATE:

Tony Jackson of ESPN/LosAngeles has a piece on James Loney which James says:

I want to get better. The key to making your game better is driving the ball. My job isn’t necessarily to hit more homers. … People who know baseball say hitting home runs is really all about getting bat speed and catching the ball in just the right spot.”

It turns out that Loney flew to Camelback Ranch twice over the winter to work with Jeff Pentland and feels he is making progress.  Time will tell, but it sounds promising and I like the fact that he spent time over the winter working on it.

Tony also has details on upcoming games.

18 Responses to “Evidently Not Deep Enough”

yea, it does suck about wainwright.

can’t wait to watch the game on sunday!! (and listen on saturday

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but I think it’s conceivable that the Dodgers could open the season with 11 pitchers instead of 12. Depends on how many days off early in the season. That would give them a chance to better evaluate who might replace Padilla, work on deals, and even put off deciding what to do with the out of options Xavier Paul.

The Dodgers should start the season with two long relievers. Hawksworth and Elbert. As the season moves forward the starters will show us whether they can average at least 6 innings per start and then and only then should the Dodgers switch to having 1 long reliever on the roster. If needed, to prevent losing players without any options, Jensen may need to start the year at AAA.

Loney should go back to his old swing, emphasize his hands and try not to hit any HRs.

Back to Michael Young of Texas. I just checked, and he is still on their roster as the DH.

I still would like the Dodgers to trade for him. Why? He can play 3b, SS, 2b and pinch-hit. In all three of those positions, the Dodgers have some nice players, some injure easy.

Young is a real major league professional. .300 hitter for his career in the majors. Clutch hitter. 43 HR’s in the past 2 seasons. He would make the difference in a number of games.

Here is a Mark type of trade.

What if the Cardinals, in a couple of weeks, get nervous about their pitching because of the injury to Adam Wainwright — and say to the Dodgers, they would consider a trade of Pujols for Billingsly, Loney, and Gordon.

They need a pitcher and a new first baseman.

The trick is, Pujols becomes a free agent after the season.

Roger, I would love to have Pujols but not for one year and that would cost 3 good players. Our starting staff just thinned down with the loss of Padilla. It would take away our #2 starter, our projected starter at SS next year and Loney. Loney might not be a Dodger next year anyway but I think a trade for Young or Pujols would be going in the wrong direction at this point. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have both of them. I think Uribe fills the role of playing all infield positions. Just my take.

Ned has done a good job this year in his selection of NRI pitchers. Hopefully some of his choices will make the team. Possibility is that all pitchers with options will be sent to AAA and the NRIs with experience will get called up on March 31st. If so, then we can have a discussion similar to the Ortiz debates last year.

However, to make room people like Paul, Hoffmann, Lindsey, Gimenez or Vasquez will have to be waived.

Just saying that a GM’s job is not easy. Balancing short term and long term needs based upon gambling is often subject to a lot of criticism.

8. DodgerDude says:

Dude,

That’s sooooo true

Hey, I was just trying to take the pressure off of Mark. It was Thursday, and time for one of Mark’s possible trades.

The reality is — if the Cardinal front office knows in their bones, that they will not be able to sign Pujols over the winter — and if Wainwright is down for the season or more — they really should start to re-tool their team now.

Even if Pujols’s bat means 10 plus wins, Wainwright’s loss is 12 plus losses.

That central division is no cake walk any longer.

I woulds love to have Pujols, but Billingsley is too much to give and I would not give up Gordon.

I would do Broxton, Loney and any two prospects not named Lee or Gordon for Albert.

Lee and Gordon are deal-breakers!

If my understanding is correct, just forget about a deal for Pujols. I believe he is a 10-5 player who can veto any deal, and has said that he would not agree to any trade.

And as much as I would love to have Pujols, I wouldn’t weaken the pitching staff and include Gordon to get him, and then perhaps lose him after one season, or have to pay him $30 million per year for who knows how many years. If we get Pujols I want it to be without surrendering a lot of other talent. Getting Pujols without surrounding him with other talented players would be counter-productive.

I’d prefer to see what Loney does this year, keeping in mind that Pujols AND Prince Fielder may both be available on the free agent market next year. If the Dodgers could make a deal for Pujols now, then I would assume that they also have the ability to pay him the big dollars going forward for whatever number of years it would take. And getting him now is not likely to give them any bargaining advantage after the season that they wouldn’t have if they pursued him as a free agent. And if Pujols is true to his word, he will not negotiate now or during the season.

I doubt that Pujols would approve a trade, but with Wainright gone, the Cards have no chance. Well, they do have Dave Duncan…

But, I think he would consider LA for lots of reasons. Frank knows he would put butts in seats.

The only risk that Pujols takes by not signing prior to free agency is a career threatening/ending injury this year. Given that he’s already a multi-millionaire many times over, I am guessing he’s willing to take the risk. If he comes out of the season healthy, he knows that teams will be lining up with wheel barrels full of $$$$$ come free agency. I’m also guessing that it’s important to him to maintain his integrity by sticking to his word to refuse a trade and any sort of negotiations during the season. Will he allow anything to happen prior to opening day? Maybe.

And yes, he would put lots of butts in the seats, be the impetus for millions in merchandise sales, and millions more in sponsorship dollars. In other words, he’s a goldmine unto himself, and I’m sure Frank McCourt knows it. And rest assured, that if by some happenstance he’s been living under a rock and doesn’t know it, there will be people whispering it in his ear (BOTH ears).

He has 2 ears?