Dodgers Sign Juan Rincon

Dodgers Sign Juan Rincon

The story is HERE.

His best season came in 2004, when he allowed just 52 hits and struck out 106 batters over 82 innings and posted a career-best ERA of 2.63 in a career-high 77 games.

And then, everything he threw, they hit.

So while you never know, this is probably another case of “organizational depth.”

… but you never know.

13 Responses to “Dodgers Sign Juan Rincon”

He should be paying the Dodgers for a chance. Maybe he’s for batting practice.

2. Captain Loose says:

Ah, you never know. He threw hard once.

I just found another NL West grading article. I won’t post it, knowing it will only get negative responses. The Dodgers got a B, which I think is right, for no other reason than we signed Garland and re-signed Kuroda. Hopefully Kuroda is not here just for a paycheck – last year in the league, older guy, far from home. Every guy in the rotation got at least 190 innings last year. That would be HUGE if it happens again. Stay out of the pen and maybe we can stay in games.

I will be heading down to ST with some local friends. We are checking in the World Champions and the Dbacks.

3. RogerCraig says:

Turncoat

It’s organizational depth at best. The bullpen is already overloaded (barring trades), and he’s definitely not going to start. Bullpen should look something like this:

Broxton
    Kuo
    Jansen (unless for some reason he starts the season at AAA)
    Guerrier
    Padilla
    Belisario
    Elbert/Troncoso/Hawksworth/Surprise/Forgot Someone???

Again, there could be trades, and perhaps a surprise or two.

By the way, regarding Loney.

HRs were down in 2010, but his extra base hits were up, thanks to 41 doubles vs. 25 in 2009. In more limited play in 2006-07 Loney’s SLG was at its height, indicating that there probably is additional power potential. I believe some of that power can be realized if he begins to make more consistent contact, and he demonstrates more patience at the plate. In 2010 his walks were way down and his strikeouts were way up. I don’t think 20-25 HRs are out of the question, but it’s probably time to put up or shut up.

6. Captain Loose says:

I really don’t care as much about the HR’s as I do about run production in general. Runs scored and RBI’s are more important. He hits well WRISP, so, what needs to happen is get him up more often WRISP.

Loney should hit .300 every year. He has that kind of skill. If he starts trying to yank the ball, it could mean trouble.

I don’t think Loney needs to consciously begin trying to yank the ball. He simply needs to make more consistent hard contact. I even recall him hitting some very hard shots to left center when he first came up with the Dodgers. I haven’t seen that for a while, but I can’t believe he still doesn’t have it within him. Patience at the plate and less strikeouts will surely result in more hard contact, which should in turn bring his average up to and over .300.

8. Captain Loose says:

Loney is 6’3″, weighs 225 pounds and he faces right hand pitching about 75% of the time. Unless he eats nothing but jelly doughnuts, he should have the strength to hit 90 mph fastballs 400′. Hell I could hit them 350′ when I played and I only weighed 175. Yes, he has it within him. Get to the gym my man.

And the inside out swing is one all hitting instructors teach. It’s a good thing to know when you are pitched inside with 2 strikes. Fight it off and dump it into the left field gap. But, if it’s strike one, you should try to put in the right field bull pen. Or, as my coach used to say … pull it to Placentia.

Loney needs to go up to the plate with an attitude and get ugly. He has the skills and the left handed swing to compete for a batting title.

I am a right-handed hitter. At 6\’ 4\” and 230 pounds, I could hit the crap out of a baseball (I can still easily hit a golf ball 350+ yards with a titanium hip), but I was always taught to \”stay back\” and I never – I mean NEVER, pulled a ball. Most of my HR\’s were to RCF, some to LCF and a few to RF. Now, I admit that I was not a professional, but I cannot understand why a guy who is approximately my size cannot hit it out of Dodger Stadium.

I did learn that your power comes from your hips, wrists and shoulders and as I got to my mid-50\’s I lost my power due to a bad hip and bad shoulder, but I am mystified as to why James Loney can\’t hit the ball for a home run.

Part of the reason is probably the lack of consistent lift in his swing. Mike Scioscia was also a big guy who didn’t hit lots of homers. Flat swing, very little lift. But he did hit the big one against Gooden.

11. MillaBlue says:

We need to get Loney on the juice. His power numbers will double.

Too soon?