Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

That is a phrase from a Latin poem which happens to be at least a couple of years old.

It simply means “seize the day“.

Hoffman and the King

The Dodgers evened their Spring record at 2-2 and while it’s early, it’s noteworthy that some players did seize the day and some didn’t.

The Seizers:

• Jamie Hoffman who went 2-2 with an RBI and a run scored;
  • Tony Gwynn, Jr. went 1-2 and scored a run (hey, if he can hit .250, her might start);
  • Nate Eovaldi needed just 7 pitches and struck out 2 in the ninth inning to save the game; and
  • Jon Broxton got the win by pitching a scoreless inning (baby steps, but steps nevertheless).

The Un-Seizers:

• Justin Sellers needs to be perfect to get a spot – he wasn’t;
  • Xavier Paul was unimpressive with the bat at a time when he needs to make an impression;and
  • Gabe Kapler who has to tear up the Grapefruit league in order to make the team.

I am not including guys who have no chance of making the team, like Travis Schlichting.  I am also not including Clayton Kershaw, because nothing he does surprises me and I always expect the best from him.  He simply delivered again.

So far this spring, Rod Barajas has seized the day, by being the first Dodger to hit a Home Run, and so have Ely, Elbert, Hawksworth, Link, Troncoso, Jansen, Redding and Rincon by pitching scoreless innings.

Spring Training is the time for Carpe Diem – Who will seize the day?

I have an early guess of someone who just might step up and win a spot – Jamie Hoffman.  Unlikely.  Improbable.  But, he’s my pick.  Right now.

20 Responses to “Carpe Diem”

The great thing about Spring Training is this — surprises, surprises, surprises.

On most teams, someone or two, usually has an injury that needs to stay in camp for several extra days, weeks, months . . . before they can make the 25 man roster.

Someone might hang-it-up and announce retirement.

And a walk-on invitee to Spring Training makes the team.

Finally, sometimes there are trades, small ones and major ones that really surprise folks.

I am sure Ned and Donnie will keep the top 25 on opening day.

Right now, I just want to see the guys play smart baseball. Line drives, going the other way, making good throws, etc.

2. SpokaneBob says:

If you watched the game yesterday you know that Hoffman did not hit the ball hard. A late swing resulted in a double down the line and a bloop fell in front of the right fielder. Tony Gwynn on the other hand got a ground ball single to right and then did exactly what we need him to do….stold second and scored a run.

It was fun to see Gordon and Robinson play.

Still very early, but I am glad spring training is finally here.

3. DodgerDude says:

If Gwynn can hit like he did in 2009, we’ve got a new CF!

4. RogerCraig says:

Mark,

You might be right about Hoffman. He can play all three outfield spots well and he runs well. He’s not an everyday player, but he might be the kind of player who can flourish as the 4th or 5th guy.

5. MillaBlue says:

Mark can you recommend a site that has the spring box scores?

6. Bluefan says:

Mark,

Just a little nitpick regarding your write up of Gabe Kapler … while we all miss Vero Beach, the Dodger camp is now in the Cactus League. :)

• Mark_Timmons says:

My bad man, old habits die hard. I don’t even give it a second thought. Thanks for correcting me.

;)

Carlos Santana got a hit and then was gunned down at the plate by Gwynn, Jr. Probably that guitar he was carrying!

This took a while.

Mark,

Yesterday’s game WAS on MLB.TV, but not on the cable baseball network. I believe you’re correct in the part where you say Jamie Hoffman chances are “Unlikely. Improbable.” Actually, unless there are some move (trades, injuries, etc.) his chances would seem to be just about impossible. It’s simply a matter of numbers. There can be only 25 players on the active roster. If the Dodgers carry 12 pitchers, that means 13 position players, 8 which start, and 5 on the bench. Of those 5, FOUR will be the backup catcher (likely Navarro), Jamie Carroll, and the two non-starters among Gwynn/Gibbons/Thames. That leaves one remaining spot. I’m guessing with all the outfielders the Dodgers have (including guys who, although not primarily outfielders, can play there, like Carroll and Blake), they will want to carry a second utility infielder, which is definitely not going to be Hoffman. So unless the Dodgers decide to open the season with only 11 pitchers (possible if there are lots of early days off), I can’t imagine how they would be able to carry any other outfielders beyond Gwynn/Gibbons/Thames.

But as I noted, there might be personnel moves that change the landscape, or there could be injuries, etc., etc., etc.

Sands just went yard!

Brooklyn, I watched yesterdays game on MLB, but it\’s not on today!

Garret Anderson retired 2 years ago – he just didn\’t get the memo!

I’m all for one of the long shots to make the team, especially if that means Gibbons doesn’t. One problem with that is, is Jay the LH bat off the bench? With the production we got out of Sweeny and Garret the last 2 seasons, who needs one?

I’m personnaly rooting for Jerry Sands to hit so good that he stands head and shoulders above everyone else and makes the team.

Talk about seizing day. Scoreboard

12. Jae says:

The Sandman is on the clock.

Sorry Mark. Brain freeze. Was thinking about the date you added this topic, not the date you posted re: MLB.TV today. Guess I need to be more attentive.

i’d love to see the swing sands put on that ball.

bills, stat wise was good: 3ip, 3hits, 3k, 0 runs

I think it would take an amazing spring for Sands to open the season in LA. Even an amazing spring might not do it. I expect he will open the season at ALBQ, and perhaps might get a call-up during the season. When that would be, if at all, will to a large part depend on what kind of production the Dodgers are getting out of Thames/Gibbons/Gwynn, and what Sands is doing at ALBQ. Trades, injuries, etc. could also play a role. Same goes for T. Rob.

Also working against Sands/T.Rob is the limitation of space currently available on the 25-man roster (see my first post above). Also, the Dodgers are probably not overly anxious to use a 40-man roster spot unless they firmly believe the player being added will definitely stick for the entire year.

From what I saw yesterday, Sands’ defense in the outfield appears to need work. Turned the wrong way on a ball that should have been caught in left. I haven’t seen him hit enough to have an opinion about his bat. Besides, what a player does in spring training can often be a mirage. Just think Wilson Valdez. In fact, Valdez even got off to a fast start to open the season in 2007, that is until he started seeing a steady diet of breaking balls.

The 40-man roster spot does not apply to T. Rob. He’s already on the 40. It does, however, apply to RDLR, who has on occasion been mentioned as a dark horse to make the team or be added later.

I’m not suggesting that the Dodgers wouldn’t use a 40-man spot for a player not already on it. However, I think they would hesitate to promote a player not already on the 40-man unless they were firmly convinced that that player could make a substantial difference now.

Brooklyn, you might’ve just saw a bad play by sands, as most things i’ve read about him say he’s a solid to good outfielder. everybody screws up though at times.

true, i doubt he makes it. however, if he makes it out of spring training, he makes it as the starting LF or 1b.

i’m hopin he or trob make it!!