Wiseguy, Huh?

Wiseguy,  Huh?

Today, Dennis Schlossman of Bleacher Report named J.T. Wise the #8 best prospect in the Dodgers organization (Jared has him at #27) and had this to say:

Wise was drafted in the fifth round of the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft out of the University of Oklahoma, and immediately made his presence known in Rookie League play with Ogden. In 2009 after appearing in 39 games with the Raptors, Wise hit .338/.401/.566 with eight home runs and 23 RBI. Last year with Great Lakes, he carried a .309 average while adding 12 home runs and 62 RBI in 86 games played.

Besides his fine offensive skills, Wise also possesses tremendous arm strength and his release mechanics are excellent. With the Raptors he caught 24 of 47 would-be base stealers, and last year with the Loons he nailed 32 percent of runners attempting to steal.

Right now, the area in which Wise needs to improve the most is his defense, most specifically blocking the plate. He was responsible for 10 passed balls in only 24 games in 2009, and although that number decreased last year, coaches expect him to progress more.

After starting 2011 with the Loons, Wise should see a reasonable amount of time in Single-A this year with Rancho Cucamonga, where he should have no problem maintaining his strong offensive production. If his defense improves behind the dish, there’s a chance he’ll make the jump to Double-A Chattanooga.

#8 seems high to me, but I have never seen him.  What do you say, Jared?

Bleacher Report also has an article on The Top Ten Reasons The Dodgers Have the Best Starting Rotation in the NL.

Feel free to weigh in – I know you will.

Photo complements of Bleacher Report.

61 Responses to “Wiseguy, Huh?”

1. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

This is all well and good, Mark, but Bleacher Report is one of the worst sites for sports. 95% of their writers are hacks. They’ve suggested moving Loney to the outfield to solve our left field problems before we signed Thames, because he played three games there 3 years ago. I hope they’re right about Wise…

But any article that has ten reasons why the Dodgers have the best Starting Rotation in baseball…is ridiculous. The Phillies do.

Your mission statement… Have a take and don’t suck… you should never link a Bleacher Report article to this site. That spits in your new motto

2. Jae says:

They aren’t that bad…

Pretty bad!

3. Mark Timmons says:

Ely,

Yes, they asked me to write for them.

Hey, wait… what does that mean?

OK, I did turn them down.

;)

Yes, they write all their team articles from a “homer” position, but it’s something to talk about on a slow news day.

• Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

you would of actually made that site 100 million times better if you would’ve written for them..but I’m glad you turned them down. Tragic Illness had a blog post dedicated to there futility last wekk. It was quite hilarious, then the writer of the article tried defending himself in the comments page and got owned. I took a quick look. meh

He’s a HUGE minor leaguer to watch this upcoming season.

We all know the 3 headed monster we have currently at catcher may not be the long term answer. who knows if matt wallach or delmonico are either.

p.s. no politics here, but my drinking game tonight is to take a swig every time obama gets a standing ovation. i’m already buzzed!!

Bobby, you crack me up. I bet your all buzzed right about now. Try touching your nose with one foot in the air.

6. Original Gonzo says:

Just to change it up a little with the draft coming up, here is some info on the kid the dodgers are supposed to draft. Zach Lee part deux?

7. Original Gonzo says:

Hey mark does Rome know your using one of his trademark catchphrases?

8. Original Gonzo says:

I had forgotten about that. I think that was staged.

9. “Within another year, Jeremy Tyler Wise could very easily be rated as the best catching prospect in the entire Dodgers franchise.”

Lol, that isn’t saying much with the catching depth — or lack thereof — in the Dodgers’ system.

And he wrote the Top 10 most talented prospects, not best.

Wise is a mid-to-late 20s prospect in the Dodgers’ system at best (I have him at 26). He’s way old for the level of competition against which he’s been playing. He’ll need to jump to Double-A for a chance to become anything more than a backup (if he even makes it to the majors).

10. Mark Timmons says:

Wise is currently 24. He will be 25 on June 2, so I do think he needs to step up to AA at some point this year. I have not seen him, so I currently have no opinion. I’ll watch him in the spring.

11. ken says:

When was the last year that the Dodgers actually had a Top 50 Prospect that actually hit 30 HRs for the LA Dodgers in one MLB season. Logan draft somoe position players with the #1 pick for once.

• Power is usually the last tool to develop.

Depending on Jerry Sands’ playing time and performance, he could fit the mold of “Top 50 prospect, 30 HRs” as you have laid out. He’s almost a lock to hit 30+ HR between Double- and Triple-A. With another impressive season, he’d turn doubters into believers and would shoot up the rankings, I’d think.

Speaking of the top 50, Dee Gordon made the MLB.com list at #44. Ethan Martin didn’t make the list but was ranked at #55. No Jerry Sands. These things tend to be somewhat subjective, and change from year to year. So maybe next year Sands will be at the top of the list, or maybe he gets promoted during the season, does well, and is ineligible for the list next year. And maybe he appears higher up on another list, e.g., Baseball America’s top 100.

13. Rory says:

I read that too. Good news for me was only 1 Giant showed up in the top 50 – Brandon Belt.

I also read this there:

“If picking a “best farm system” was based solely on which organization had the most Top 50 players, the Royals would win hands down.” They have 6 in the Top 50.

But as we all have been told repeatedly, the Dodgers have the Organiztion of the Year, so top prospects means very little.

Still, I would like to see some Dodgers in that top 10 list.

14. ken says:

Very good article at Dodger Divorce today that addresses several issues but appropriately does not arrive at very many conclusions.

There had better be some Dodger pitchers in the Top 50 list at least 2 out of the next 4 years or I will conclude that Logan is as smart as Joe. Draft some positions players.

Sign Chavez – $500,000 MLB contract plus $2 mil maximum incentives. The feel good story for 2011 no longer John Lindsey, it is Chavez – Comeback Player of the Year.

• “Has there ever been a player drafted by the LA Dodgers who (1) was ever on the Top 50 propsect list, and (2) has hit 30 HRs for the LA Dodgers major league team?”

This is from Baseball America’s Top 100 instead of MLB.com’s Top 50:

1992: Mondesi (21)
      1993: Piazza (38)
      1997: Beltre (30)
      1998: Beltre (3)

Technically, Mondesi and Beltre were signed as amateur free agents. But it hasn’t happened in quite some time.

I did a write-up of it on my blog at the end of December.

• Rory says:

What about Konerko in ’95?

The entire list was posted yesterday when we were talking about it. You can find it down below.

15. Rory says:

I thought it said plenty ken. Like for example the McCourts won’t get to trial before 2012. And, Bud could step in and say “no” to the cash advance from Fox. And this comment:

“No sale is allowed until seperate property ruling is final.

Bud may be able to force a sale when Batman orders Frank to pay Jamie for her portion of the value of the Dodgers because then Frank will officially be in violation of the MLB CBA Debt Formula.”

Looks like we are in for a long ride and whole lot more dumpster diving.

Yep, if nobody else does, sign Chavez. Why not?

Yeah, Mike Piazza and Paul Konerko. Seems like just yesterday……..

wow kemp never made a top 50 list? well, i guess he only hit 29 hr last year too, but still.

i looked at last year’s top 50 list, and many of those top 10 names really stood out, including heyward, strasburg, posey, bumgarner

• Kemp’s prospect status didn’t last as long as others. If he didn’t exhaust his prospect eligibility in 2006, he almost assuredly would have been in the top 10-20 in baseball in 2007.

I don’t recall if Piazza made any top anything lists. If I recall correctly, Piazza became a visible prospect when he broke out playing winter ball in Mexico, and followed it up with a great minor league season. I believe he followed up that season with the NL ROY award. But rest assured, the former 62nd round pick wasn’t on any lists very early in his pro career.

I don’t know this for a fact, but I doubt if Ethier was ever in the top 50. Probably Cliff Lee wasn’t either. Those lists are based in large part on perceived tools. What they don’t measure is a players heart, and the work ethic that often comes with that heart. Those are the intangibles that only become apparent with 20/20 hindsight.

18. Willie Mays says:

Giants rule and the Dodgers suck.

19. Rory says:

Brooklyn:

Thanks Willie. You are still a class act. You may remember me… I was at the golf tournament in Palm Springs in about ’92… Don Drysdale’s very first HOF Golf Tournament… by the first tee, about 20 minutes before you were to tee off, you stiffed a 10 year old kid for an autograph. I was the guy who said “hey kid, offer him a $100 and I’ll bet he will sign it.”

20. Jae says:

Mays sucks!

21. lawdog says:

Don’t let the Bleacher report offer go to your head Timmons. They made the same offer to me. You might beat me on stats, (I mean who has time to keep up on all that nonsense), but you can’t come close to matching my style.

22. Jae says:

Yeah. Right!

23. lawdog says:

Sorry Mark. After getting my asshole ripped by you, I don’t come around this blog as much as I did. As a result, I don’t necessarily respond to you allegations the way I would have back when we we’re actually friends.

Everything I posted the other day was true. OI know it must be hard for you to accept the fact that you are not omnipotent, but, sadly, that’s the case.

You banned me the day after you wrote that horrible thread which singled me out for ridicule.

You obviously reversed your decision regarding Badger and myself the day after, but I guess you suspected I wouldn’t come back and post after being banned for the day.

I’m calling you out. You are a liar!

• Bill Russell says:

Aren’t we pass this yet? Law don’t go round here no more. (Tombstone)

• Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,

You are pathetic. Call me a liar all you want, but you cannot prove what you are saying because it never happened. I have not deleted any of your posts and you were never banned. Everyone here knows it. If I actually had banned you and then reversed my decision, I would say just that. You make no sense, but carry on if it makes you feel better. If I delete a post or ban you – it will be clear to everyone that I did so.

I gave you the opportunity to respond when I responded to your initial allegations. You didn’t because your allegations are false. I don’t have time to mess with silly stuff like this. Keep it up and I will ban you at some point. Your boorish behavior is wearing thin on me.

24. ken says:

“Almost every major prospect in this system regressed this year, led by Chris Withrow, who lost his command and then his velocity by August. On the positive side, the Zach Lee signing was huge for them.”

Best Organization but 22nd best propects?

Somebody has some explaining to do. Mr. Watson?

25. dtwdodger says:

Lawdog,

Can’t you be a bigger man that what you proclaim Mark to be? You gain nothing by this and you don’t need Mark to complete you, do you?

It’s much more interesting to see you bash McCourt.

26. RogerCraig says:

From my perspective, it appears that LD has some medical condition or drug interaction that is impairing him. Go easy on him. I hope he’s OK.

27. Rory says:

ldog is one of the brightest people on any board I have ever posted on. Geniuses sometimes walk on the margins. I understand why he is pissed. And Mark, though you didn’t ban either of us, I did see a notice that my post was being “monitored” before submission. Never saw that before.

I just read that Barajas is the highest paid catcher in the West, and his ZiP projects at .245 .283 .408. Where do you put those numbers in a lineup?

Other numbers:

Blake .247
    Gibbons .263
    Kemp ,271
    Uribe .260
    Furcal .276
    Loney .279
    Ethier .280

Nobody is projected for more than 23 homers and nobody is projected to get 100 rbi’s.

Yeah I know, more hacks, more negative nellies, more downward thinkers. I can’t wait to hear Mark’s predictions for all these guys, and then compare them at the end of the year. Last year’s comparisons were a real hoot.

Ethier is the only guy projected to have a decent OPS+ at 127.

Here check it out for yourselves and tell me what you think:

This is why I keep saying it looks to me like there are a lot of easy outs in this Dodger lineup. I still say the plan is to pitch well, keep the team in the game, hope for playmaking and for the stands to fill up, and then address the situation at the trade deadline.

28. Mark Timmons says:

Rory,

No clue what “being monitored” is, but I haven’t done anything to your ability to post – the software doesn’t have a provision for that, so even if I want to I couldn’t!

You say “though you didn’t ban either of us” – well Lawdog calls me a liar because he said I did. Maybe you need to explain that to him. I know I didn’t ban you and if I was going to do that, it would certainly be when he called me a liar. Oh well…

Here’s what I think you are talking about. I posted this in March 6, 2010:

Just a laundry list of a few things I expect to see this year (actually my wish list along with predictions):

* A healthy Rafael Furcal who is 100% physically and (most importantly) mentally (it takes a while to recover mentally from a surgery) regains his form and is again one of the elite short stops in baseball. This alone makes a huge difference for the team.
    * Blake DeWitt wins the 2B job and hits 18 HR’s silencing his critics, while playing a good 2B. (Make No Mistake – the Dodgers want DeWitt to be the 2B).
    * Reed Johnson and Jamey Carroll (who have been much maligned) become two important components of the team (THESE GUYS ARE BALLPLAYERS) and contribute mightily.
    * Chad Billingsley and Clayton Kershaw become Co-Aces. Bills is in the best shape I’ve seen him.
    * James Loney will hit for more power, as will Russ Martin – I can’t tell you what they will do, but I expect better results.
    * George Sherrill will not do well this year – I would love to see the Dodgers trade him. I can see an ERA of over 4.00. Pull the trigger, Ned! Just do it!
    * Jon Broxton worries me, but I will hope he can put it all together.
    * There WILL BE a significant trade this Spring involving the Dodgers.
    * Brian Giles will retire by next weekend.
    * Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier will combine for 60 HR.
    * Ronnie Belliard will be insignificant and ultimately be released.
    * Who will step up – Hu

I guess that is funny, but I also said that some of it was my “wish list.”

• ken says:

Mark

How about a bright line this spring between predictions placed on a list like Sir John and hopes which we all have. How about a contest with prizes!

29. Corey says:

I’m not sure what kind of credibility the organization/person making the projections that Rory cited has, but I can’t believe that neither Kemp or Ethier are projected to hit at least 23 hr’s.

Also, I looked at the top ten prospects listed for each position and there wasn’t a single Dodger in the top ten at any position, other than Gordon. I would think Sands would be a top 10. Do you think it’s because he’s listed at both 1b and OF, which is keeping him off the top 10 for both?

• Mark Timmons says:

Corey,

I think it’s the popular thing to do right now because of the “DIVORCE.” The media loves to bash the Dodgers and in turn, this skews their rankings. That’s one of the big gripes I have with the fish hacks. Most of them are lemmings and just follow the next guy – which is also why they aren’t right very often.

Here’s another thing: Logan White has typically taken lots of high school players, which means that they take longer to develop than college players. I would be interested in seeing what percentage of HS players the Dodgers have taken compared to other teams.

Now, if the Dodgers start out hot next year, the media will get on the bandwagon.

Now, this is not political in nature, but just makes a point: Two years ago, no one in the media (except for FOX NEWS) would say anything bad about Obama. Now, some days it’s hard to hear anything good. The media is fickle.

30. Rory says:

I must admit I was relying on memory for those predictions from last year Mark. I should know better than that. I thought I remembered you saying Kerhsaw would win 20, Kemp and Ethier would each hit 30 dingers and have 100+ rbi’s. I could be wrong about that. I KNOW you said the Dogs would win over 95 games.

Corey, there are a few sites available that have projections just for Fantasy Leagues. Doesn’t mean much really, just what some stat heads have figured these guys will do – based on history I suppose. Frankly, I don’t expect much more out of Kemp than what you see there, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him be a 30-30 guy with 90 rbi’s. The reason I don’t see him with 100+ ribbies is the glaring fact that the only decent OBP guy that will hit in front of him is Ethier. If we had high OBP rabbits in the 1 and 2 hole, Kemp and Ethier could have monster years. We don’t have those hitters, we have Furcal and…. Uribe I guess. I don’t see a two hole hitter on the team. I think Furcal would be very lucky to get on at .341. They actually only have him going 102 games….so… is that to be considered the over/under for him? I sure hope not. This team needs him in there for at least 130.

The Dodgers have some serious offensive question marks. They also have serious potential – certainly to do better than what some are predicting they will. I have a real “wait and see” attitude toward this team. Personally, I think it’s silly to think all of these guys will have rebound or career years, but, whatever floats your boat.

• Mark Timmons says:

Rory,

Other people SAID I said that, but I can’t find anywhere that I did. Maybe I just missed it, but if the pen hadn’t imploded, Kershaw would have been close to 20 games. Ethier and Kemp didn’t miss by much.

I don’t expect career years from everyone, but maybe one or two and maybe average years for others.

Who expected that EVERYONE would have a career worst year last year? Some will rebound, some won’t!

I quit reading the projections books last year. I used to buy them all – Bill James, Baseball Prospectus and 80% of the time they were wrong. I think it’s a waste of time. Who the heck knows. I have quit predicting “specifics.” It’s futile. Too many possibilities.

I did predict that the Dodgers would win 95 games last year and even with the offensive malaise in the second half, they would have won 90+ if the best bullpen in baseball in 2009 hadn’t totally imploded in 2010.

Two things happen in 2010 that were unprecedented:
      1. The bullpen implosion; and
      2. The whole offense tanked after the All-Star Game (everyone).

Just received the Baseball America Prospect Handbook in the mail. Haven’t had time to read it yet, but here’s their list, including the bonus #31 player. Positions listed are directly from the book. Sorry, you will have to buy the book if you want the scouting breakdown on each player.

1. Dee Gordon – ss
    26. Javy Guerra – RHP
    27. Blake Smith – OF
    28. Angelo Songco -OF
    29. Derek Cone – RHP
    30. Luis Vasquez – RHP
    31. Ryan Christenson – LHP

Interesting how subjective prospect rankings can be. I just glanced at the Baseball America Prospect Handbook I mentioned above, and found the following:

The Dodgers farm system, unlike Keith Law’s #22, is ranked #12. The Giants rank at #23, which, I believe, is exactly where Law had them. They say this about the Dodger system. “After a few leaner years in the system brought on by tight budgets and the graduation of impact talent, Los Angeles turned the corner in 2010. Prospects such as Dee Gordon, Rubby de la Rosa and Jerry Sands continued to emerge, while the team gave first-rounder Zach Lee $5.25 million.”

Also, whereas MLB.com had Dee Gordon as their #44 prospect, Jim Callis had him at #28, Will Lingo had him at #30, and John Manuel had him at #22. None of those writers has any other Dodger in their top 50.

33. Rory says:

Why would a “team” collapse the way it did? Could it be because the team has character issues? Just asking. Leave us not get our panties in a bunch about the question.

“Now, some days it’s hard to hear anything good.” – you are looking in the wrong places. There is plenty good to be found if you know where to look. Fickle media? I don’t think it’s fickle. It’s predictable. The idea of a free press used to be the foundation of democracy. Since most of the current U.S. news media was purchased by large corporations, the “news” is now under their control. And that is not a political post either, it’s just point of fact.

I think all of us have opinions about most everything. But, in the past, including the recent past, when you post an opinion around here that opposes the group think, you are impugned. Just because I believe the Dodgers have holes that will prevent them from winning the pennant does not mean I am not a Dodger fan. I have been rooting for this team since ’59. I have been through a lot with them.

Didn’t we already see that list Brooklyn? It’s the list that seems to change every couple of months.

34. Rory says:

“Your comment is awaiting moderation.”

This is what it continues to say on the posts mover. You don’t know about this?

• ken says:

At least yours says something. Mine just slows to a crawl. Maybe it is just the 4 syllable or latin or finance or legal words.

35. ken says:

Or how about trying to respond to two different people and getting the “You are posting too often” response?

36. Corey says:

Rory, I agree with the leadership problem on this team. They haven’t signed any big name “big talent” leadership type guys to do the job, so somebody needs to step up. I’ve heard Uribe has the leadership mentality, but I hate the Giants so didn’t see enough of their games to comment on Uribe. I’ve heard Blake mentioned as a leader/mentor, but he isn’t that big talent guy either.

37. lawdog says:

It’s no coincidence that every time I tried to post on this site the day after being blasted by Mr. Timmons that my post never was “accepted” on this board. Timmons even said that those that didn’t play by the rules would not be allowed to post. You banned me for a day or two, I’m not sure how long because I stopped trying to post until Rory mentioned on the world crossing board that he hadn’t been permanently “Banned”.

This is exactly your style Timmons. You banned us one day and then realized that it made you look like an idiot so you lifted the ban.

Tell me that’s not true. You are a liar of the worst kind.

38. Glass Is Half Full says:

Geez………………..enough dude!

39. Rory says:

I have seen several gint posters on various boards say they want Uribe back…. I also heard Krukow once say nobody messes with Uribe because he “could clear out a parking lot”. Maybe he is the guy that does what Bowa tried to do but couldn’t. The Dodgers need a leader – and it isn’t Kemp, Loney or Ethier. They do not appear to have leadership qualities.

The “awaiting moderation” doesn’t appear to be stopping the posts. Mark says he doesn’t know what that is. I find that difficult to understand – this is his site for crying out loud. But in an effort to restore a new “era of civility” (I love that one being thrown around by certain groups) I will choose to take him at his word.

• Mark Timmons says:

Rory,

I just write the blog – I am not a web genius, but I can tell you that we are in the midst of a changeover to new and more powerful servers. I think the change will be complete next week. I don’t know if that’s the problem or not. I’ll check with my web design people tomorrow.

I do know that it is not holding your posts. I have another blog (www.AskTheWaterDoctor.com) where I can hold posts for moderation, but I cannot find anything in the control console here that allows me to do that. Maybe I just can’t find it.

Nothing sinister, I assure you. I do have the ability to delete every post, if I want. I have to do it manually, but if I were going to do that, I would just do it and tell you I did it. What’s the big deal?

There are some filters for certain “bad” words, and if you use those words, it will put you in spam, but I checked back for 2 weeks and no one – I mean NO ONE who posts on here was in spam.

Lawdog can say whatever he wants (WITHIN REASON) – Talk to the hand! YAWN!

40. lawdog says:

It’s quite a coincidence, don’t you think?

• ken says:

Perhaps you should just object to Mark’s statements as “Incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial”, and then Mark could respond by admiting that even Hamliton Burger beat the great Perry Mason twice including the episode of “The Case of the Terrified Blogger [sic]“

41. lawdog says:

I must have missed those episodes Ken. :mrgreen:

42. Rory says:

I had a Hamilton burger once. It was a quarter pounder. But I have been a vegetarian since ’70 so, it’s been a long time.

moderate that……..

43. SpokaneBob says:

First, with the team we have it will take a 1988 type season for us to win. But its baseball and you can’t rule anything out. Reading Corey and Rory’s (Badger’s) posts, it made me think that it may be possible that if Uribe (coming off a World Series win) could bring the right mentality to the clubhouse, he could have a Kirk Gibson type of effect on the mentality of the team. The 1987 team was worse the last years team and Gibson brought a no nonsense winners attitude to the team. I am not saying that Uribe can play on Gibson’s level, but he could have a positive effect on helping the team believe they can win. The ’88 team had players who were on the team in ’87 improve and they had some surprises. I think we can expect ELK and our bullpen to play more like 2009 than 2010.

There seems to be a division between the optimist and the pesimist ( I am sure they would say realist)on this board about our prospects this year. I would just like to point out that one of the wonderful things about Baseball and spring is that every fan can have the hopes of a great season, whether it is realistic or not. And I guess some of us would prefer not to hear how bad we are going to be before spring training even starts.

What I am about to suggest may seem unrealistic to some of you. But because this is Baseball, it is with in the realm of posiility. Lets call it the best case senerio. Assuming we get rebound years from Ethier and Kemp and the bull pen pitches well, I think we have 2 players that could make us a contending team.

These guys have a chance to reestablish themselves as bonafide major leaguers, not to mention make millions of dollars. I am talking about Tony Gwynn and Dioner Naverro. If these two show they can produce offensivly they can make us the favorites in our division. If Gwynn can hit .270 and provide speed at the top of the order he can energise the offense and improve the defense. Narvarro could win the everyday job and make Barajas the back up, as it should be. He is younger and if he plays to his best level would make a substanial contribution.

A pipe dream….Maybe. But stranger things have happened.

44. Mark Timmons says:

I did find that I could add these cool little trolls or whatever they are. I have no clue how it assigns which ones, but I do know who a certain part of a horse would be assigned to…