The Last (ings) Piece of the Puzzle

The Last (ings) Piece of the Puzzle

It probably won’t happen, but the last piece Ned may need spells his first name with last as the first four letters – Lastings Milledge!

They have waited for his power to develop, but I happen to think that is just not his game.  Put him in LF and hit him #2.  Convince him that he needs to hit .300 with a .350 OB% and steal 50 bases.  The talent is there.  He should stop trying to be a “power guy” and just be a hitter.  He could be a steal.

He’ll be 26 next season.  He hit .270 last season.  He’s growing up.  His knuckleheadedness may be ancient history (or not).

It’s a risk…

But, one I would take!

20 Responses to “The Last (ings) Piece of the Puzzle”

1. Ty says:

It sure beats what we have now. Milledge may noy live up to his potential but he’s got some talent unlike the stuffs on our roster

if he’s cheap for sure he’s worth the risk. another guy for davey lopes to work on!

3. Ely's Coming, Better Hide Your Haeger says:

i have no issue with this guy. He’d be solid

If we get him, I can actually change my starting lineup and put him at #2.

But I thought most in here didn’t approve of immature behaviors? New year?

5. he started a huge brawl in one of the winter leagues this season…..not sure of the details

6. Jerry Sands says:

I bet Ned goes old or goes with what he’s got. You don’t wanna block me…I’m really close, I can play corner IF and OF, and I got POWER baby!

I’ve seen Milledge mentioned on one or two other blogs, and mentioned it myself here a few weeks back. Based on the description and the video of the fight in Venezuela (link below), it doesn’t appear to me that Milledge was fully at fault in instigating the fight. Certainly he was shoved by the other player. What he said prior to that, and whatever else he may have done to contribute to the melee I haven’t a clue. But if anything, he doesn’t appear to be solely culpable for what transpired.

Unless the Dodgers have damning information, I lean towards signing him, and then seeing what develops. He could be a steal.

8. lawdog says:

Right now, the plan for the Dodgers appears to be to see what the in-house candidates can do in left field platoon before making another move, according to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com.

Anybody surprised?

Gibbons is listed on the depth chart. Gwynn is the back-up CF.

And, no, I am not surprised. But, winter shopping isn’t over yet.

And what, really, does Ken Gurnick know? It’s still early, and a lot can happen between now and the beginning of the season. For me, at least, it’s too early to get discouraged. Also, if a new outfielder isn’t acquired, I would not be totally opposed to a platoon of Gwynn and T. Rob in center, with Kemp moving to right and Ethier to left. Gwynn hasn’t hit much in in the past (although he had decent stats in 2009). T. Rob has hit well over the past couple of seasons in the minors, and has demonstrated an increasing ability to get on base. Both players would add speed, and would likely contribute to a significant upgrade of the Dodgers’ outfield defense, especially considering that both Kemp and Ethier could move to their more natural positions.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d prefer someone like Milledge. However, Gwynn/T. Rob might work (and it might not), and to me is preferable to the defensively challenged Gibbons/Blake platoon. And if Blake is playing the outfield, then someone else (Uribe?) must be playing third, at least a good part of the time. Who knows, maybe the switch hitting T. Rob could surprise, and within time take over the center field job all to himself.

So while I think the Dodgers should be looking to upgrade the outfield, I’m not totally turned off by an in-house solution. Replacing Casey Blake at 3B, or at least finding him a platoon partner, could be part of the solution. It’s even possible that IDJ2 could find regular work at 2B with Uribe moving to 3B. For now I just see multiple variables, and no clue as to which one(s), if any, will ultimately prevail.

I really don’t think Robinson is in the 2011 plans… at least not at the beginning of the year. Yeah, he did well last year at AA, but, is he really ready to step into the starting lineup?

Having said that, I too would be fine with giving him the CF job if the team would go ahead and admit that 2011 is not their year. But, they didn’t do that. They signed Lilly and Kuroda, backloading one and deferring some of the other, then went out and signed Garland for $5 mil. Now we have this not-so-bad starting rotation – for one year – and a few holes in the starting lineup. If this team were solid top to bottom, we could put Robinson in center and bat him 7th and let the kid get some OJT.

I guess we’ll just have to see how this plays out in the coming weeks. I am sure Jed will be looking for a real starting LFer, and who knows, maybe he comes up with something. In the mean time, Robinson starts everyday at AAA and bats at the top of the lineup. He needs 5 plate appearances every night at a high level.

I don’t disagree with you Badger. But in the scheme of things, if another outfielder isn’t acquired, it’s not too far-fetched that Robinson could force his way into the lineup, if only because he’s shown an ability to get on base. Certainly it’s not unprecedented for a player to make the jump from AA to the big leagues, sometimes successfully. But let me be clear about one thing. I would prefer an established bat or a player like Milledge, with a semi-established bat and a strong upside, including speed.

And although the Dodgers need offense, they could also use an upgrade of their outfield defense. Players like Robinson and Gwynn both do that, and could also allow Kemp and Ethier to move to their more natural positions on the corners. Ethier is a substandard right-fielder, with a good, but not great arm. That good arm would play a lot better in left-field. Kemp is by no means a natural center-fielder, and is probably better suited to right-field, where his cannon would be a huge asset. And of course, the overall speed and range of the outfield would be enhanced.

13. lawdog says:

Rumor has it that the dogs are about to resign Manny and pay him the league minimum plus a percentage of the hot dog sales in Manny Land Pavillion. :mrgreen:

From my eye’s view — I believe that Loney, Kemp, and Ethier need a good power hitter on the club to do what Manny did for them two years ago. Leadership and to show the way. To take pressure off of them.

This would be money well worth spending.

This roster still has a lot of questions.

I think most of us agree he is an intriguing option. Three teams (now 4) before age 26 is kind of red flag, but…… if he turns out to be Milton Bradley, we can trade him to Oakland for a real prospect.

Or, just let Robinson play his way on to the team by doing at AAA what he did at AA. We start with Gibbons, and if that doesn’t work out, Robinson gets his shot. Somehow I got a feeling that is the plan.

16. Jaydavis says:

If this deal happens, I just hope it’s for more than one year.
    I’ m headed to Camleback Ranch March 3rd-7th. I can’t believe how much tickets are. I am looking forward spending less money at the Goodyear complex for the Reds game on Thursday.

If the Rangers land Beltre, can the Dodgers pull off a trade for Michael Young? He’s a local guy that would love to come home. The Rangers would have to eat a large part of that salary. I believe it’s 16M per year. Get busy Ned

Me too.

But I can give you 48 million reasons why it won’t happen.

’09-’13: $16M annually (total of $15M deferred)