Eric Chavez To Be a Dodger Soon?

Eric Chavez To Be a Dodger Soon?

Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com reports this:

New Dodgers 3B?

The Dodgers worked out free-agent third baseman Eric Chavez at their Camelback Ranch-Glendale training facility in Arizona on Thursday.

Among club officials attending the workout were assistant general managers De Jon Watson and Logan White and batting coach Jeff Pentland.

As I have stated before, a healthy Eric Chavez would be huge for the Dodgers.  Another IF can’t hurt!  Can it?

Chavez hasn’t been healthy in a while, but if he is, he can add a big power bat and a Gold Glove at 3B.  It’s a risk I would take.

P.S.  I have to say that the past several days have been a pleasure here.  The argumentative ones are gone and readership is way up as well.  We will never go back to what it was.

22 Responses to “Eric Chavez To Be a Dodger Soon?”

I agree Mark, a healthly Eric Chavez could make a big difference. Go Blue

I definitely find it more pleasurable when I don’t have to read through a lot of argumentative verbiage. It can get tiresome for those of us here for baseball only, and Dodger baseball in particular.

I think Chavez is definitely worth the risk, especially since all we have at 3B is Casey Blake (I’m considering Uribe as primarily the second baseman, and perhaps an occasional fill-in at short and 3B). Blake would benefit from more rest, and being primarily used against lefthanded pitching. Again, assuming Chavez is healthy and productive, it would also deepen the bench, since the one sitting each day would be available to pinch hit. Chavez/Blake along with Gibbons and Thames, could give the Dodgers some real power sitting on the bench late in games, and better options vs. American League teams when the DH rule applies. If it worked, then there is more justification for starting Gwynn in CF, with Ethier and Kemp in LF and RF, respectively.

No doubt a lot still depends on ELK living up to expectations and the bullpen bouncing back. There are definitely “IFS”, but name me any team that doesn’t have at least a few of those.

3. ken says:

Git Er Done

$500,000 base plus $2 mil incentives. Frank – Just reduce the rent to yourself and the salaries to the kids in college who do not really work.

not a bad risk if he’s not paid a huge guaranteed amount.

dude was a great player in the early part of 2000′s.

5. Ty says:

It sure wouldn’t hurt. It’s not like we’d count much on Chavez

Did anyone hear the outcome of Eric’s workout today? Was the management team impressed with what they saw? I guess keeping silent would be a negotiation strategy. If the results were bad, we might of heard something. Mark, got any insight? Chavez at the Ravine.

• Mark Timmons says:

Billy,

Two things:

1. Chavez wants to be a Dodger; and
      2. By all accounts he looked good, but what does a couple of hours mean?

I would guess that Ned will sign him to an incentive-laden deal. The Dodgers already have 40 men on the roster, but Lindsey has ZERO chance, so they could sign him to a minor league deal or cut Lindsey.

7. Jae says:

Mark,

Have you seen what they are saying about you over at world crossing? You should read it.

8. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

Link to the world crossing stuff please. do i have to be a member to see it

9. ken says:

Bowa has a nice gig at MLB baseball. I bet he had fun trying to prove with range stats that Kemp was by far the worst CF in MLB during 2010. If Bowa is correct, then maybe the Dodger 2011 season is on the back of Gwynn.

10. Jaydavis says:

Now we just need RF taking care of

11. RogerCraig says:

I remember Mark used to proclaim that Kemp wasn’t a certerfielder. Guess he might have been right on that one. I really want Gwynn to step up and take the job in center, so we don’t have to see Thames and Gibbons. That could be really Ugly!

12. Idaho al says:

I like the direction of this Blog. We are talking about Dodger baseball. I do not mind a lively discussion, but keep it civil. If Eric Chavez is healthy, that would be great. Then we can look at Casey Blake in left field. I think hoping for Gwynn to hit at a higher average is wishful thinking. However, we can all hope Gwynn will do better. This why I like this time of the year. We all think the Dodgers will win it all and all the players will have a good year. That is my hope.

• ken says:

If Fantasy Baseball’s report that the Dodger scouts could not keep their pie holes shut regarding their opinions of Chavez until they got back to the hotel room then the price for Chavez just went from NRI to guaranteed league minimum plus incentives.

13. ken says:

Or

Neither Kemp nor Ethier worked on their hiittng against on hand pitchers during the off season and the following platoon is imposed by management

Gibbons, Gwynn and Ethier against Right handed pitching with Kemp the late inning defensive replacement in Left

Thames, Gwynn and Kemp against Left handed pitching with Ethier the late inning defensive replacement in Left

More platoons at C, 1B, and 3B

2011 will be the year for debating signing quantity versus quality players.

14. RogerCraig says:

It’s addition by subtraction. :)

The whole tone of the board is different with certain people gone.

id be willing to be t-rob can do better than tony gwynn in CF, over a full season.

gwynn hit .270 in 2009, and .200ish in 2010. if he averages out, he’s at .235. no doubt in my mind t-rob can hit better than .235!!