Just Say Something Relevant – That’s All

Just Say Something Relevant – That’s All

I missed a couple of posts this week – maybe you read them, maybe you didn’t.  Anyway, the first one is from a person who has repeatedly said that I have censured him and that I have banned him from the board (neither of which are true):

The latest from Mr. Timmons:

“…the Dodgers pitching should place them into the upper echelon of National League pitching staffs–I’ll go out on a limb and say that the Dodgers should be in the TOP THREE in ERA in the N.L.”

And to think he has the temerity to accuse others of fuzzy thinking. When did those pigs start flying in the midnight skies over Indiana, Mark?

But then when I glanced at the logic he used to argue his position, it became all too clear. Seems that the Dodger sucked big time as a whole last year. Since they all stunk up the place last year, it apparently stands to reason in the mind of Mr. Timmons that they’ll all have career years this time around and the Dodgers will win the world series.

Straight forward enough. assemble the worst team in baseball and all those guys will have career years the year following and your favorite tram will go from last to first.

Brilliant thinking there Timmons!

My response:  (shrugging shoulders)  OK!  Whatever!

The next post is from a person who usually doesn’t post here, but since he uses his name, I’ll use it.  It’s from Alex at dodgerfan.net which is a nice site with a clean new format.

Mark-

Glad to see you reasserting the conditions of participation. As a fellow Dodgers blogger, I want to echo the points you made about how we’re free to write whatever we want, but many of us choose to not get dragged down into commenting of the off-field stuff that isn’t generally relevant to the game itself.

Thanks for this thoughtful post and see you at spring training!

I say “Thanks Alex.”

I have also gotten over a dozen e-mails thanking me for asserting the rules, but I would presume that they didn’t want their name used since it was a private e-mail.

I do admit that I went to World Crossing to see what was being said about me.  Some of it was comical, most was not true and all of it was pathetic.  For the record, you can say what you want on this site (except for profanity or political stuff).  If you say I censure you, you are lying!  You can disagree with me, and I just let Lawdog mock me.  It was a little childish, but OK – I’ll let him.

Here’s the thing: SAY SOMETHING RELEVANT ABOUT THE DODGERS.  You can even say things about the Divorce and say that you hate McCourt.  BUT WHEN YOU SAY IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN, LIKE A BROKEN RECORD, YOU ARE EITHER DELUSIONAL OR PURPOSLY IRRITATING, AND EITHER WAY, I WILL NOT TOLERATE IT!

Make your point(s) and move on, but when you say the same sorry stuff over and over – I loose my patience.  I do not suffer fools very well.  Sorry, but that’s a shortcoming of mine.   If you don’t like what I write, you have two choice:

1. Read it and disagree, and post why; or
  2. Don’t read it.

Simple, but saying the same tired stuff five hundred times does not make it true.  At some point, McCourt may be forced to sell the Dodgers.  That could be in March or March of 2013, or it may never happen.  I have seen people say that Bud Selig should step in and take control of the Dodgers.  I just shake my head when I read that stuff.  If the Dodgers go bankrupt, then he can or if certain other things happen, he might be able to do it.  The truth is:  we don’t know how much financial difficulty the Dodgers are in.  Other teams have been in horrible shape and Bud did not step in, so to set that precedent would be grounds for a lawsuit.  MLB doesn’t want that.  McCourt is the owner and until he isn’t, it is foolish to beat that drum on every post.  I will say that if McCourt is ousted, I think someone should think about turning the Dodgers into a publicly held organization and sell stock to the public.  That would be way cool!

Insofar as what you write, you can even mis-quote me, as Lawdog repeatedly does, and I’ll even let that go (sometimes).  I think most people see through all that stuff anyway.  Let’s talk about what is on the field.  That’s the fun part.  Tomorrow, I will have a column that I have been working on for quite some time that focuses on what the future holds for the Dodger offensive players.  Feel free to agree or dis-agree.

24 Responses to “Just Say Something Relevant – That’s All”

1. I think Lawdog’s view of reality is skewed by something….like hatred for the owner…maybe i am confusing him with others.
    Worst team in baseball??? give me a break. Does he live in Pittsburgh or Arizona?

2. Jae says:

Mark,

If it weren’t for you, World Crossing wouldn’t exist. You send your trash to them. Venice told his trained monkey Lawdog to mock you. That Venice is one class act. Not!

3. Mark Timmons says:

Jae,

I’m not sure who you are, but we don’t exist to slam other boards. Let it go. I have. I’m sure there are some good people there. Let it be!

4. ken says:

Most of what is posted on blogs is rank hearsay. Relevance is but one criteria for admission before Judge Timmons.

Material – Relates to one of the issues in the discussion.
    Relevant – Relates to Dodger Time, Dodger Event or Dodger Person and contributes to proving or disproving a material issue in the discussion.
    Competent – Does not violate one of Mark’s rules.
    Discretion of Mark – Comments do not confuse the issues or mislead other bloggers.

Thank God everyting that we write here is just our Opinions and therfore not Libel!

5. Mark Timmons says:

Opinions are fine.

Just have a take.

Do not suck… and

Don’t say the same stuff over and over.

I get really tired of that.

6. Anonymous says:

I think I know who Jae is but anyhow, mark you have got to see it both ways. You say some sound like a broken record because we continue to bash McCourt and all the other crap we may have an opinion about. You continue to say McCourt doesn’t suck and sound like a broken record. Who is wrong? I say nobody there just seems to be no tolerance from both sides sort of like a tug of war instead of respecting each others POVs. I know that I have talked and emailed you a couple times and I am ever so grateful for your help, but what is sad to me is that you have actually met Badger and Lawdog has been on with the group that started on the LA Times. I may have my differences with LD but again you have more time vested with both of them.

Does it really matter who owns the Dogs? IMO no as a fan I will support them but expect to be able to critique them here or in any other forum available. Being a mock GM what a lot of us love doing and again I reiterate no one is wrong just a lack of tolerance

7. Original Gonzo says:

That was me

8. Mark Timmons says:

Gonzo,

Excellent points.

I agree. It doesn’t matter who owns them, if they are a good owner. McCourt has warts. Lots of them.

But he has done some good things… and here’s the big point: he’s the owner right now. It could change in the future.

For the past 6 years Lawdog and Badger have bashed McCourt… to no avail – the Dodgers made the playoffs 4 out of 6 years – Last year was a disaster and they have started bashing McCourt in every post.

Look, a change of ownership is not on the table… yet! I see the good McCourt has done, but I also see the bad. I hate the whole divorce thing. I also hate the greed and decadence.

People pine for Mark Cuban – won’t happen!

I deal with reality. McCourt is the owner. The Dodgers have problems, but they are far from being the worst organization. They have a good shot at winning this year.

Anything that is good with the Dodgers, they bash. If Simers or Dilbeck bashes the Dodgers “It’s true.” If Topps give them the organization of the year award “It’s bogus.”

There is no give and take, like in your post. It’s their way or the highway. They are bitter old men. I hope they get over it, but I refuse to join that clan.

I know what Badger and Lawdog think and I don’t care if they say it on occasion – it’s just tiresome to hear it all the time.

I’m a Dodger fan, which means I’m a fan of who owns the team.

I know we can do better, but I am powerless to make the change.

If McCourt is ousted, count me in. I just am not into futility.

Some people like to play the “blame game.”

“Victim of this, victim of that. Your momma’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat.”

Get over it!

I appreciate your insight, Gonzo. You are a good man. Draw your own conclusions. BTW, most of what they say about me is fiction!

9. Mark Timmons says:

Gonzo,

I have no ill will for Badger or Lawdog – I am just tired of the some old tired story all the time. Go back and read their posts and read their posts on World Crossing.

10. Original Gonzo says:

I see what your saying but don’t you think that your continued line of the good things McCourt has done has grown tiresome in their eyes? I honestly think that the bad outweigh the good. I think that when the going gets tough you need to show your face more instead of hiding and taking what the writers write personal and telling them to F@&# off. Their are articles out there how Camelback will cost the city millions and millions of dollars for the money it invested into it.

But you and those other two need to squash all this because I believe that there are friendships at stake. If after talking it out like men doesn’t work then I say move on.

11. MillaBlue says:

Hey Mark, just letting you know I have been checking out the site for a few months and will start chiming in here. I have followed an Indiana hoops blog daily for three years and hope to be able to contribute here.

I have been a Dodger fan my whole life and that began with my first favorite player, Steve Garvey. Ha! Loved that late 70s team.

I will make one comment here because I have seen a little bit of controversy here and there with some of your followers. If I had any advice I would say, “Hey man, it’s your blog. If it’s a good one, people will follow it. If not then I suppose it wasn’t meant to be.” Point being, it’s yours and it should be run your way. If peeps don’t like it, move on to something else. You gotta be you right?

Just my two cents man. Looking forward to joining the fray. Go Dodgers!

12. ken says:

Fantasy Baseball has posted a rumor that the NATs wanted Loney and the Dodgers asked for Ian Desmond and Jordan Zimmerman in return. Obviously that did not happen. What is the true value of Loney? Is his elevator Going Up or Going Down? These kids have 4 months every year to reassess their drive and passion for the game. What a Job and what a Life.

13. Mark Timmons says:

Gonzo,

My “continued line of good things” about McCourt only comes to counteract what they say in EVERY post. They are relentless. They have to blame someone in every post. They “blew up” World Crossing at one time – I won’t let it happen here.

On Camelback: The city made the offer to the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf, and the Dodgers and Frank McCourt. The difference is that Reinsdorf accepted the gift and that was it. McCourt spent another $25-$30 million on the complex AND he makes it a year-round facility with a full staff.

Was it a bad deal? I have no clue. You know better than I on that, but it was offered and accepted by the Sox and Dodgers and yet McCourt put a bunch more money into it. I mean… why crucify McCourt for that?

On friendships: I would not go on another board and make up lies about others. I like most people. I hate no one. Badger is a very knowledgeable baseball fan, but he is so entrenched against anyone who is an entrepreneur that it clouds his judgment.

He thinks we are all evil. I think you know better, and I do not want praise, but he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. I didn’t respond to this post right away because I had an employee whose son we sick, and my son an I made a run to his house to get him “pedialite” and some other stuff. My son took him some of his toys.

Here’s the deal: I don’t care if anyone knows about this, but when people try and say I am a greedy bastard (like McCourt), I am done with them. They are not friends. They know nothing about me.

I respect those who respect me. Give respect. Get respect.

I’ll talk it out anytime!

MillaBlue,

Welcome aboard, I evidently need all the help I can get.

14. Mark Timmons says:

Ken,

Loney’s value is ZIP – See tomorrow’s post.

15. Mark Timmons says:

Gonzo,

One final thing (I’m going to bed):

You are a good dude. I know what you do and you are a really good man.

16. ken says:

If the rumor is true then weu see what the Dodgers think of Loney’s value. Accurate or delusion?

Speaking of value, Mark the other day you suggested that it would be nice if the Dodger fans tried to buy the Dodgers. If 300,000 fans paid $2,000 per person or the City of LA stopped paying the rumored $600,000,000 per year for welfare payments to illegal aliens then depending upon the amount of debt assumed that might do it. No this is not a political statement. It is a utlilitarian comment. Think about the probability and utlity of both economic possibilities. Both strangely unlikely. Is baseball too risky of a venture these days for anyone to make such an investment? Will Frank be the owner forever?

17. Mark Timmons says:

How about if they were like the Packers?

I took this from their website:

Green Bay Packers, Inc., has been a publicly owned, nonprofit corporation since Aug. 18, 1923, when original articles of
    incorporation were filed with Wisconsin’s secretary of state.

A total of 4,750,937 shares is owned by 112,158 stockholders —
    none of whom receives any dividend on the initial investment.

The corporation is governed by a board of directors and a seven member executive committee.

One of the more remarkable business stories in American history,
    the team is kept viable by its shareholders — its unselfish fans. Even more incredible, the Packers have survived during the current era, permeated by free agency and the NFL salary cap. And, thanks in large part to Brown County’s passage of the 2000 Lambeau Field
    referendum, the club will remain solvent and highly competitive well
    into the future due to its redeveloped stadium.

Fans have come to the team’s financial rescue on several occasions, including four previous stock sales: 1923, 1935, 1950 and 1997.

18. Rory says:

“Badger is a very knowledgeable baseball fan, but he is so entrenched against anyone who is an entrepreneur that it clouds his judgment.”

Why do you say things like this? Wrong again dude. Badger IS an entrepenuer. He has worked for himself since 1983. Yeah, he never made it into the over $250,000 tax break bracket, like you obviously did, but he is most definitely a guy who worked his blue collar ass off for 50+ hours every week.

My judgment is not “clouded”. I have backed everything I have said with evidence, you just choose not to accept it. I don’t like McCourt, he has proven to be everything I said he was and I am off base? The Dodgers ended up right where some of us said they would last year and I am a “negative nellie”? I’m a hack. Plaschke’s a hack. Simers is a hack. Dilbeck is a hack. But Mark Timmons is nonjudgmental, open minded and has a take that does not suck. Yeah, he is a hypocrit, starting some threads that bad mouth our president then bans posters who don’t agree with him, but, it’s his blog so, he has a right to do so. You continue to allow jerks like OD to come in here by changing his name, but the odor of his posts give him away, but guys like me a ldog, people who have supported you for years, are just eliminated.

YOU owe lawdog an apology. What you did to him was uncalled for and down right mean. Step up to the plate and do what needs to be done.

19. lawdog says:

I never said anything that could be taken personally by you until you did ban me for that time and that was said in frustration on the world crossing board–which for those here who don’t remember (or weren’t yet born) was up and running when the LATimes closed it’s board back in the late 90s. A fan we called “Bluefan” started and Timmons started this board shortly thereafter. Timmons probably has forgotten, but I am the person who went through the tombs at the LATimes found his email address and told him where the rest of us posters had moved since the Times went down.

At his request, I even did a daily Minor League Report for him for most of the 98 season for which I ws opaid zilch. Nothing. Nada. I’ll be the first to admit that the style I chose for writing the reports was garbage compared tothe professionaol manner Jared has chosen, but I thought of myself as being a fan that took on the obligation of reporting who was doing well and who wasn’t on a daily basis which grew very tiring following 4 teams 24/7 and I tried to make it too humorous. But all that siad, I thought zi was doig the board and Timmons a favor. I actually considered Timmons my friend and spoke with him for several hours abut the ook he wanted to write many moons ago. I guess that was all a horse on me. I didn’t realize Timmons hated me or thought I’d committed a” bannable” offense. I never received any private warning or even a public one.

I guess that thread which made me the target of all that venom and hatred directed at yours truly let me know that Timmons was no longer my friend and we were no longer just disagreeing on points concerning the Dodgers. At that point I knew he’d gotten personal in spades but was also banned.

If Timmons now comes forward and denies that my posts the next day were deleted before they were posted on the board, then Timmons will be making himself a liar. To say I was never banned is not true.

Once a person is banned, how long should they try to make another post if just to defend themeselves?

I’ve done nothing but call things the way I see them. What might have appeared to be duplicate postings of my opinions were always in response to another poster’s opinion which flew in the face of my own and I tried to supply facts which supported my position, or in the event facts weren’t available, (like McGoo’s refusal to offer arbitration to our two top free agents in 2009, I presented facts–like Wolf’s signing a huge contract 3 year contract the first day he was eligible and the other’s hatred for Torre and the way he was treated at the end of that season as obvious factors theat our FO should have known about and their protestations to the contrary as voiced by Timmons in what appeared to be a move to save the money 1st and sandwich rounders command is the basis of calling me a liar?

That and my refusal to just accept Timmons’ word for it that McGoo is an excellent fellow who doesn’t take way too much money away from operating capital and divert it to use for his own outrageous lie style. It’s a matter of public record that he’s now paid his sons huge six figure salaries for doing Nada. Nothing. Zilch. He probably will be prosecuted by the IRS for Tax evasion. And all the details of his mind boggling life style have been submitted as facts in one of the most expensive divorce proceedings in the history of law.

Do I hate McGoo? No, I can’t say as I do. But I sure as hell don’t like him and I do hate what he’s done to my beloved Dodgers.

I am handing out an olive branch to each and everyone of ya. Now let’s get er done. It’s all about moving ahead and forgiving. Life is too short guys. My hats off to Gonzo the original one that is, for trying on both ends to fix this. I respect each and everyone of you guys. Having different opinions is what makes this site fun. No more personal attacks and we are gold. No apologies are needed and banned or not banned, you guys are BACK.

Now what’s the topic?
    Peace

21. lawdog says:

I guess the removal from the banned is the best I can expect Bill. It’s as close to an apology I think anyone can ever expect from Timmons.

But for my part, I’ll continue to post here as I’ve been doing for years unless my right to do so is unilaterally terminated once again by our fearless leader. I can’t honestly say I have any respect for the man after what he’s done here in “exercising his power”, but you don’t have to respect someone to tolerate them.

If I’ve said anything that offends anybody but McGoo, please accept my apologies. I had no intention of offending you. McGoo deserves all the offensive remarks he’s managed to garner all over the internet, but that’s just one man’s opinion. I don’t mean to denigrate any of McGoo’s closet fans here or anywhere else.

22. Jae says:

I don’t know what OD is – Obviously Demented come to mind.

23. Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,
    I’m sorry but it’s really hard to mean it when you say things that have no basis in fact. I will address every issue you bring up:

Say what? My banning was only temporary? This post will wind up on the thread and not get sent to oblivion like the ones I tried to post in response to the hissy-fit against me that became a major thread?”

Hissy fit? Where? Where did I ever say you were banned? Chapter and verse! I found a post of your yesterday in the “spam” file. It’s happened before. You know it, but I have posted EVERY THING from you that I knew about. I just went back two weeks in spam and there are no other posts there. So, when you say I sent your other posts to oblivion, that simply is not true. Why would I publish this and not the others? That makes no sense.

Well, I guess that’s a step in the right direction. A beginning. But don’t deny you banned me for a couple of days even if yiou changed yoiur mind.”

Well, I do deny I banned you. You said you were leaving. I took you at your word, but you were NEVER banned.

Which is the same Jared and I get, although I just recently put up Google ads and plan to generate some revenue – all of which will go to Jared. He deserves it. And by the way, you asked me if you could write, if you remember. I told you upfront, it was ZIP for pay!

How do I respond to this? None of the above it true. There are other times when you have said that your posts didn’t appear. I have no clue why, but again, I did not ban you and I did not delete your posts. So, by answering truthfully, you make me out to be a liar. That’s why I have such a problem with all this. You twist things and make it seem I said or did something I did not do.

Again, I have never said McCourt is an excellent fellow. You just say that EVERYTHING he has done is bad and that is not true. He has done a lot of good. The seven years McCourt has owned the team has been much better than the previous 7 or 14 years! That’s a fact, and to say he’ll probably be prosecuted by the IRS is assuming major facts not in evidence. For the record, I am appalled that the tax code allows him to take millions tax-free. I think it’s felony-stupid that our tax code is constructed like that. I pay a lot more taxes that McCourt, and so does “Joe-Sixpack.” That McCourt has not paid taxes is because of legal tax shelters provided by the U.S. Government. Be mad at them, not McCourt for that – they don’t prosecute people for that. I am not a McCourt fan as I have often said, but he’s the owner and until something else is on the table, I prefer not to focus on something I can’t control. I hate his decadent lifestyle, but he has accomplished some good is areas. The Dodgers are better than they were 7-10 years ago. Their facilities are nice and the organization is much stronger top-to-bottom. That’s fact. McCourt may be a greedy bastard, but I can’t do anything about that. You however, insist on mentioning it every time you post. ENOUGH ALREADY! The thing is – if McCourt is forced out, there will probably have to be a bankruptcy and the Dodgers will suffer immensely. The payroll will be a 1/3 of what it is and personnel will be hacked. Is that what you want?
    I admit that I was deliberately mean, but go back and look at your posts, or if you like, I will be happy to go back and show you why I grew weary of what you were always saying. I didn’t ban you, but I tried to make it so that you wouldn’t come back. Maybe that wasn’t the best decision, but when challenged, I will go toe-to-toe with anyone. I am sorry, but it’s a two-way street. You get what you give. Quit attributing things that I don’t say to me.
    There is still a post on this site where I called McCourt a scumbag, but I have not stayed on that course because everything is not black and white. There are two sides and you should consider that McCourt may have some good points to go along with his obviously bad traits. Also, what role did Janie have in all this?