Would You?

Would You?
  1. Trade Chad Billingsley and Trayvon Robinson for Carlos Quentin?
  2. Trade Jon Broxton and  Ivan DeJesus, Jr.  for Martin Prado?
  3. Would you sign Vicente Padilla to be a closer?

If the Dodgers did that, this could be the lineup:

1. Furcal  SS

• Trancoso
  • Kuo
  • Belisario
  • Elbert/Hawksworth
  • Jansen
  • Padilla

I am not advocating trading Bills – just a thought.

Martin?  Gone?  Maybe…

Maybe not!

22 Responses to “Would You?”

No – Young starting pitchers are too hard to develop. Trading Bills would result in too many old starters. Draft better players, hire better player development personnel and hire better managers.

1. No, I wouldn’t trade Billz unless we received a SP[Greinke]in return. The back half of our rotation[Kuroda,Lily and Garland]is certainly seasoned but it is more likely that one of their arms fall off than getting what we need from the 2-4 spots[45 Wins].
    2. Yes, If the ATL would give us Prado for Brox I would jump on it.
    3. No, I wouldn’t sign Padilla to close but I would sign him as the 5th starter that we are ubdoubtedly going to need sooner than later,[See number 1]

3. me, If i deal Billz it would be in a package for someone like Upton or Fielder, and only assuming we could sign Fielder long term.

The Padres are throwing in the towel as they have dealt Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox….for 3-4 prospects. Scratch the Padres from the list of teams who can contend in 2011.

4. Idaho al says:

No way would I trade Billingsley. For the first time in years we have 5 starters to start spring training. I would sign Padilla. This gives us an extra starter, if needed. I also think padilla would do well in the bull pen. We always seem to have one or two starters on the disabled list.

I would consider trading Broxton and a minor league player for a left fielder. I am not happy with what we have at third base, but if we can sign Martin, maybe he can play third or even left field. I am not sure Martin will ever catch again.

5. Anonymous says:

That’s what they said last season!

1. No. Billingsley is too important a part of the Dodger rotation, and Quentin doesn’t excite me. Good power, but not much else. I’m sure there are plenty of other places to look for an outfielder.

2. No. I like Prado, but I don’t see Uribe as being the solution at 3B. Uribe’s low OBP with power plays OK at 2B, not so much at 3B. And I still think Broxton is being undervalued by a lot of people. Maybe he never returns to what he was, or perhaps the 2nd half of 2010 was a hiccup, and we’ll see more of the better Broxton in 2011. Whatever role Broxton has in 2011, if he’s anything like he was prior to the meltdown, the Dodger pen at the back-end will be awesome, with Broxton, Kuo and Jansen. Throw in Padilla, and it will be very hard to beat the Dodgers if they’re leading from the 6th inning on. And a resurgent Broxton is also insurance against a Kuo injury.

3. Yes, I would sign Padilla, but not necessarily as a closer. The Dodgers already have Broxton, Kuo and Jansen. Padilla could close on occasion, but I believe his role would be as a middle/late inning reliever and emergency starter.

I don’t know if the Dodgers have the money or the interest in re-signing Beltre, but it’s looking as if he may not be returning to Boston. It’s being reported that the Red Sox are on the cusp of completing a deal for Adrian Gonzalez. That could mean Kevin Youkilis moving to 3B, making it less likely that Beltre returns to Boston.

And this. I’m not advocating that the Dodgers try to acquire the recently non-tendered Matt Diaz, nor do I really want to see Jay Gibbons patrolling leftfield on a regular basis. However, I do believe that a Diaz/Gibbons platoon would probably be similarly productive to a full-time Carlos Quentin, who I believe also brings questionable defense.

So what would you rather have? Quentin w/o Billingsley or Gibbons/Diaz with Billingsley? As for me, I want to keep Billingsley and find an alternative to both of those outfield scenarios. With Ethier’s less than stellar speed on one corner, I believe the Dodgers need to add speed to the other corner. Too many balls falling for hits in the gaps. Kemp can cover only so much ground, and certainly not enough to compensate for the lack of speed on both corners.

Quentin is a great hitter when healthy. If roids were legal, Quentin’s our man. I don’t do the deal because I think Bills will turn it around this year. I say trade Broxton for anything that can help the team before he loses all his value. Just me……

Sign Manny to play LF and tinger with the bench. For those of you calling for Dunn, Manny can handle the outfield just as good if not better than Adam.

9. Dusto says:

More horrible ideas.

Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres to the Red Sox, interesting.

For those of you younger fans — there was a time back in the 1960s and early 1970s, that the National League was very strong with players — and I believe, it was the N.L. president — that told the N.L. owners to not trade some of the stars to the American League. They had the DH rule (1973) and they wanted to keep the N.L. as the premier league.

So, here you go, giving the A.L. one of the better players. There is more wishing, to not have to play against a guy like that — so ship him off to the other league.

11. Mark Timmons says:

I would not trade Billingsley either.

Things have now changed. With the trade of Gonzalez to the Red Sox, Kevin Youkilis goes to 3B, which means that Adrian Beltre will not be back with the RedSox.

For the Record: I love the idea of Padilla as a closer. He can bring it as fast as Broxton (in relief).

How would this look?

1. Furcal SS
    2. Kemp CF
    3. Ethier RF
    4. Beltre 3B
    5. Loney 1B
    6. Uribe 2B
    7. Diaz/Gibbons LF
    8. Ellis/Barajas C

Mark, As soon as I saw the Gonzales deal I thought of your Beltre love affair. It does seem Adrian is out of a spot in Boston now unless Youkalis becomes a full time DH but then there is David Ortiz? I see Oakland is hot after Beltre. So you have to think we can match dollars with Oakland right? UNLESS, Adrain doesn’t want to play in LA. Which he has said.
    Mark please tell me where you have seen or heard Adrian Beltre wants to come back to LA? Everywhere I have read says the opposite. In fact I have heard from people close to the Dodgers that Beltre kept LA on his NO TRADE list when he was in Seattle. Maybe he has gotten over it by now? Who knows

“I like the idea of a Diaz/Gibbons platoon in LF and Beltre moving back to 3B. If the Dodgers have to move Loney and Broxton to make that happen, I would be down with that.”

Mark,

I don’t understand. Why would the Dodgers have to move Loney and Broxton to make the Diaz/Gibbons platoon and Beltre moving to 3B happen? All that’s needed is to sign Diaz and Beltre. I have some ideas as to what you may be thinking, but for simplicity’s sake I’d just rather that you explain.

No and No.

i do not want to rely on kuroda lilly and garland being our 2/3/4. that is disaster, and unless we’re getting a pitcher better than bills, there’s no way we’re getting rid of bills!!!

now that beltre has no home in boston, his price just went down! i’d bring him back no doubt.

man i wish we had cash; we see what the price is for a stud 1b. we can make a similar deal for prince fielder (even including loney). damn.

15. Mark Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

Just a salary trade-off. Loney and Broxton would make about the same as Diaz and Beltre.

That said, I’d rather keep them (even Broxton), but if given a choice, I think the team would be better with Daiz and Beltre than Loney and Broxton.

16. Mark Timmons says:

Romo,

Just talk – I can’t confirm that he had a no-trade to LA, but all the insiders have talked to said Beltre would come back in a heartbeat.

If the Dodgers don’t get him, I have a feeling the Angels will.

Mark,

A salary trade-off is one of the ideas that I contemplated. I understand that Broxton would likely not be replaced by another $7 million pitcher. But what about replacing Loney? TBLA is estimating him at $4.5 million in 2011. Are you replacing Loney with Casey Blake? A platoon at 1B? There are probably abundant possibilities at 1B, but all of them are likely to cost at least something not too far from Loney’s $4.5 million. Maybe a lot more.

No doubt that moving Loney and Broxton mitigates some of the salary burden from acquiring Beltre/Diaz (Diaz is probably pretty cheap, especially since his spot would at least require the MLB minimum from anyone that occupied it). But it’s probably not going to relieve the Dodgers of all of it (although Beltre’s contract would probably be heavily backloaded).

I believe Beltre would return to LA if that’s where the money was. His agent is Boras, and Boras generally (always?) goes where the money is.

18. dromo says:

If the Angels miss out on Crawford you are right. They will jump on Beltre.

i agree dromo; i was just about to say the same thing. if we really want beltre, then we have to hope anaheim of los angeles gets crawford; that’ll be another suitor that wont go after beltre (hopefully)

i still want prince fielder.

Prince Fielder? I don’t know, every night that close to the All You Can Eat Pavillion? You are asking for trouble!!

On a different note: I bought tickets for the Giants vs. Dodgers March 4 and vs. Reds March 5 at Camelback. It will be my first Spring Training trip. I can’t wait. I hope to see you fellas out there!

DRomo, great you are going to Spring Training for some games. I do not know if this will be your first time to S.T. — but if it is — consider . . .

It is not just the game say at 1 pm or 7 pm that counts. But the Day starts just after 9 am on the practice fields. Bring your camera. A few water bottles. Sun screen. Go beyond the Center Field area to the first practice areas. Look at the small water areas, keep walking to the other practice fields — there are bunches of the. The White Sox are on the right side, the Dodgers on the left side.

There is much to do, see, and talk with other fans.